BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 01:22:07 PM   #11
Andres G
I am my own GOD
 
Andres G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 2,211
Reputation: 0 Andres G is on a distinguished road
Location: Rogers, Arkansas

Argentina




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu Tim View Post
Maybe?

Itís not the best deal its not the worst deal. All I know is i want a tow vehicle, wife wants a third row, and I canít possibly lose more than $20 grand on this!


Timmmah... stay away from this one or any diesel E70. They are emissions nightmares, and with the 3rd row seat you also get the air suspension which tends to fuk itself up 98% of the time all the time.

On the plus side, it has the heated/cooled front seats which are a must, and feature the butt massage function The rest of the stuff is nice to have.

Get a different vehicle to tow with.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 Formula 1 Game = M3ANMACHINE View Post
"Nice to finally see some solid competition between Ferrari and Mercedes along with the Iceman near the top!
"
"the only TRUE SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing. Everything else is just a game." - E. Hemmingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
May there be only 1 Rat
Jump to top Andres G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 01:42:17 PM   #12
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers
 
propchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,906
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 propchef is on a distinguished road
Location: Geyserville

United States




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

^^^^ Jimmy Smits is right.

Along with what he said, the e70 with a 3rd row no longer has any storage.

Sent from my crotchphone
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllwaysLow View Post
x2 and some Chicago style pizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dom View Post
He's suffered enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
STFU Klong!!!!! Go Fuk Yourself!
Jump to top propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 02:13:42 PM   #13
e46Dawg
Registered User
 
e46Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,138
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 e46Dawg is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

This thing is an hour and a half away from me. I wouldn't be able to get out there for a while.

We had an 09 35d. It did have emissions issues, but I think BMW stepped up and warranted some of the emissions components for a long time. We also had an air spring in the rear suspension fail, but it was a pretty cheap and easy repair with an Arnott bag.

The third row is lol in this thing.we could barely fit 12 year olds back there.

Overall, I personally would own this or any other diesel suv again.
Jump to top e46Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 04:02:57 PM   #14
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous
 
Ginsu Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,609
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Ginsu Tim is just really nice
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

Jeeze its hard to respond to all of this.

E-Dawg, totally get it. ATL is a sprawling jungle! I tried to have my cousin check it out and its an hour away from her even though she lives on the north end of town. Do you have any recs for a mechanic who might make a visit and check it out?

For third row seat - Iím not too concerned about size. It only needs to fit a child in there like 5 times over the next 7 years. Wife thinks itís important, and Iím not gonna push back because it ultimately secures a tow vehicle and takes the stink eye off of me pissing money away on ďmore racing shit.Ē :-)

As for it being an adequate tow vehicle - all 3 of my racing teammates have owned one of these and used it as a tow vehicle at some point and they highly recommended it as a gateway before giving up and just buying a massive truck with a massive cummins diesel

Emissions - yes Iíve seen at least one failed emissions check on probably 3/4 of the carfaxes of these that Iíve looked at. BUT - as someone pointed out, they have deployed a recall fix on the EGR valve and some other parts. Also this will be registered out of the city and therefor no need for emissions tests.

Hog - correct, not rare. But add in the 3rd row seat and the features I want and it cuts the list down considerably. There are about 5 cars right now that tick the boxes. 1 in seattle but itís not as clean or well equipped as this one, and itís priced higher.

Overall iím not afraid to own a bmw out of warranty. Yaíll are talking to a guy with a 31 year old bimmer with 246,000 miles on it. If the service bills are less than 3500/year on this Iím already ahead of the game

I tried and tried to look at tahoes but I cant get over the derpiness of the interior. God dammit they are cheap as fuk. Im also considering a ford expedition. Better environment, but less reliable than the chevy.
__________________

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO) - Gone but not forgotten
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 04:33:31 PM   #15
Ginsu Tim
Dark, Fussy, Hard To Use, and Potentially Dangerous
 
Ginsu Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 15,609
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Ginsu Tim is just really nice
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

i guess that is good feedback about the air suspension that comes with the third row. I dont think my buddies had that shit. I have to look into it.
__________________

a 10 hand donkey, brown.
1988 Alpine White 325ix (OO==[][]==OO) - Gone but not forgotten
Jump to top Ginsu Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 04:58:38 PM   #16
e46Dawg
Registered User
 
e46Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,138
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 e46Dawg is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

Unfortunately, I don't know of any mechanics on that side of town.

Like I said before, replacing a leaking air spring is easy and cheap, so don't worry about that too much. Only thing to consider is the cost and reliability of the rest of the air suspension, which I don't know much about. Also, does the air suspension help/hinder towing?

Xoutpost.com used to be a great source for X5's. Haven't looked over there in a while, but you may want to check it out.
Jump to top e46Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 04:58:41 PM   #17
jph28
Back in 'Merica
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 35
Posts: 8,621
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 jph28 is on a distinguished road
Location: Charlotte, NC

United States




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu Tim View Post
I tried and tried to look at tahoes but I cant get over the derpiness of the interior. God dammit they are cheap as fuk. Im also considering a ford expedition. Better environment, but less reliable than the chevy.
Just get a used beater Tahoe. I assume better for towing, cheaper to run and less chance of a pricey one-off issue, and no need to find diesel. I don't know if you've owned a diesel before but imo (after having two, and never again) the latter can be an underappreciated issue
__________________

Current - 2018 M2, 2018 Tahoe
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '15 F31d / '02 M5 / '04 M3 / '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 05:37:28 PM   #18
AutoUnion
Registered User
 
AutoUnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,654
Reputation: 0 AutoUnion is on a distinguished road

Germany




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

BMW does cover a lot of the emissions shit way out of warranty, but it's still a huge PITA.

If I keep mine even longer, I'm looking at deleting the DPF and going stage 1.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1089933

Honestly, find something else, like a diesel Touareg/Cayenne/Q7. They've had way less issues.
__________________
Jump to top AutoUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 05:57:57 PM   #19
Andres G
I am my own GOD
 
Andres G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 2,211
Reputation: 0 Andres G is on a distinguished road
Location: Rogers, Arkansas

Argentina




Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu Tim View Post
Jeeze its hard to respond to all of this.

E-Dawg, totally get it. ATL is a sprawling jungle! I tried to have my cousin check it out and its an hour away from her even though she lives on the north end of town. Do you have any recs for a mechanic who might make a visit and check it out?

For third row seat - Iím not too concerned about size. It only needs to fit a child in there like 5 times over the next 7 years. Wife thinks itís important, and Iím not gonna push back because it ultimately secures a tow vehicle and takes the stink eye off of me pissing money away on ďmore racing shit.Ē :-)

As for it being an adequate tow vehicle - all 3 of my racing teammates have owned one of these and used it as a tow vehicle at some point and they highly recommended it as a gateway before giving up and just buying a massive truck with a massive cummins diesel

Emissions - yes Iíve seen at least one failed emissions check on probably 3/4 of the carfaxes of these that Iíve looked at. BUT - as someone pointed out, they have deployed a recall fix on the EGR valve and some other parts. Also this will be registered out of the city and therefor no need for emissions tests.

Hog - correct, not rare. But add in the 3rd row seat and the features I want and it cuts the list down considerably. There are about 5 cars right now that tick the boxes. 1 in seattle but itís not as clean or well equipped as this one, and itís priced higher.

Overall iím not afraid to own a bmw out of warranty. Yaíll are talking to a guy with a 31 year old bimmer with 246,000 miles on it. If the service bills are less than 3500/year on this Iím already ahead of the game

I tried and tried to look at tahoes but I cant get over the derpiness of the interior. God dammit they are cheap as fuk. Im also considering a ford expedition. Better environment, but less reliable than the chevy.


tl/dr...

Just kidding. See bolded part. You will be above that in a heartbeat given the mileage.

I love our E70 when it runs fine, itís a phenomenal chassis with handling of a sedan not an SUV. Will cruise at 100 mph doing 20+ MPG. Great and comfortable seating position, kick-ass sound system, luxurious and modern.

But at 115k miles, every time I go to start the thing I cross my fingers and pray to Moctezuma to hold off for one more day on making it blow up. It just isnít dependable and if your wife will DD, gotta be ready for the unexpected.

In contrast, my similar mileage Land Cruiser runs like the first day... and that is the reason it is worth 3X more than the X5.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 Formula 1 Game = M3ANMACHINE View Post
"Nice to finally see some solid competition between Ferrari and Mercedes along with the Iceman near the top!
"
"the only TRUE SPORTS are Bull Fighting, Mountain climbing & Auto Racing. Everything else is just a game." - E. Hemmingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge
May there be only 1 Rat
Jump to top Andres G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Nov-04-2018, 06:22:10 PM   #20
Cyrus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,041
Reputation: 0 Cyrus has disabled reputation





Default Re: Need PPI tech/mech in ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres G View Post
tl/dr...

Just kidding. See bolded part. You will be above that in a heartbeat given the mileage.

I love our E70 when it runs fine, itís a phenomenal chassis with handling of a sedan not an SUV. Will cruise at 100 mph doing 20+ MPG. Great and comfortable seating position, kick-ass sound system, luxurious and modern.

But at 115k miles, every time I go to start the thing I cross my fingers and pray to Moctezuma to hold off for one more day on making it blow up. It just isnít dependable and if your wife will DD, gotta be ready for the unexpected.

In contrast, my similar mileage Land Cruiser runs like the first day... and that is the reason it is worth 3X more than the X5.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would love one of these.
__________________
2017 VW Golf R (DSG)
2014 Mazda MX-5 Club (manual, soft top)
Jump to top Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Need PPI tech/mech in ATL in the Off Topic Forum - Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive) at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)