BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-26-2018, 07:24:51 AM   #1
M42boy

United States

Default 19in Style 67 wheel restoration?

Mild curbing on all wheels. No terrible gouges, but some curbing.

Wondering how people have restored theses before, or if the only real option is replacing with new at $$$ cost?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgKemvD_BwE

I'm interested in hearing about my options.

In most cases, a little bit of filler is added or welded on, and sanded and painted, but in this case the wheel is machined. No paint. Just clear.

I guess if the damage isn't too deep they could strip, re-machine lip and then clear it again.

If I have to ship them off somewhere, it might make the cost difference negligible, so hopefully this is something a decent local shop can do.
Interested to see what others have done. Thanks.
Jump to top M42boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-26-2018, 02:36:04 PM   #2
icanseeyou

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 19in Style 67 wheel restoration?

I've been actually working on my set from Craigslist that had some rash!

My major problem was deep scratches on the sides, but once I started sanding them down they started disappearing. None of the scratches were at a point that could cause the rim to be uneven once I sanded them down so I got lucky there.

I started with 80 Grit (super flexible 3M sandpaper to make my life easier) and tackled major scratches and sanded down most of the clear coat.
Ended up ordering an orbital sander and different add-ons to my Dremmel ( wouldn't advise to use it as you're a slip away from putting a deep scratch in it - trust me, I've been there on my first rim. Thank god it sanded out)

Once most of the clear coat started peeling, i tackled it with grits up to 400 and got all of the clear coat off, and make sure the rim is round.
Next, I started wet sanding - it will be the hardest part if you want the rims to look brand new once you're done. Talking from experience because the second rim i rushed a little bit and once it polished out, you could still see the scratches if you look close enough.

Worked my way up to grit 3000 wet sanding. Once the rims looked perfect, I took some Mothers Aluminium polish and Superfine steel wool and polished every spot until the polish was pitch black (it's supposed to be like that).

After I was happy with the hard work I've put in, I took a microfiber and wiped it clean off. Now I'm holding off until I get all rims sanded down before I spray down clear coat, but I'm planning on putting a small touch of my own work on it and getting it sprayed with some clear coat that changes shades when in a different light.

Can't wait till they're done!

P.S. Sorry for no before pictures - once i tackled the 3rd wheel i'll make sure more pictures are taken...

After clear coat is gone

After it's done being polished

Before and after comparison

Last edited by icanseeyou; Thu, Apr-26-2018 at 06:41:53 PM.
Jump to top icanseeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-26-2018, 03:52:45 PM   #3
I M Legend

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42boy View Post
Mild curbing on all wheels. No terrible gouges, but some curbing.

Wondering how people have restored theses before, or if the only real option is replacing with new at $$$ cost?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgKemvD_BwE

I'm interested in hearing about my options.

In most cases, a little bit of filler is added or welded on, and sanded and painted, but in this case the wheel is machined. No paint. Just clear.

I guess if the damage isn't too deep they could strip, re-machine lip and then clear it again.

If I have to ship them off somewhere, it might make the cost difference negligible, so hopefully this is something a decent local shop can do.
Interested to see what others have done. Thanks.
Where are you located?

I've had good results from the location near me. Granted this was many years ago. They were able to fix a badly curbed 15" BBS rim with polished lip for ~ $125. Price has likely gone up but I'm sure they can give you a quote.

https://wheelsamerica.com/locations/
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 05:32:50 AM   #4
M42boy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by I M Legend View Post
Where are you located?

I've had good results from the location near me. Granted this was many years ago. They were able to fix a badly curbed 15" BBS rim with polished lip for ~ $125. Price has likely gone up but I'm sure they can give you a quote.

https://wheelsamerica.com/locations/
I'm located in Madison, WI.

Yeah, not sure I want to go too polished as it looks more "chrome", but I do like the fact it's a DIY solution that only costs me my time! I wonder if there was some sort of "frosted" tint on the clear over it that gave it just the right amount of shine without looking chromed?

Yeah, any more 19" OE wheel refinish threads or advice welcome!
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 05:38:15 AM   #5
M42boy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanseeyou View Post
I've been actually working on my set from Craigslist that had some rash!

P.S. Sorry for no before pictures - once i tackled the 3rd wheel i'll make sure more pictures are taken...

After clear coat is gone

After it's done being polished

Before and after comparison
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

About how many hours would you say you have in that one wheel?
Yes, please take more pics before / after when you get to the last wheel and share here! Looking forward to seeing the transformation.
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 05:45:25 AM   #6
icanseeyou

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

About how many hours would you say you have in that one wheel?
Yes, please take more pics before / after when you get to the last wheel and share here! Looking forward to seeing the transformation.
Definetly looking at 4-5 hours hard labor with the first wheel without correct tools.

If you're not afraid of using a clear coat remover, like aircraft strenght, you can significantly cut down the times, but risk of damaging the sides of the spokes which are painted.

If you end up with the correct tools that match the job (i suggest a orbital sander with soft backing plate and plenty of Diablo brand sanding disks, 5 inch and 2 inch sanders preferebly for the grooves) you can cut the polishing to a 2-3 hour stretch.

I just ordered some drill attachments off of amazon going to see how they do on the last wheel and see if it cuts down the polishing time at all.

Will add pictures once i get to the rims - right now my differential needs new bolts after an autocross session haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old Fri, May-04-2018, 06:56:04 AM   #7
M42boy

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanseeyou View Post
Definetly looking at 4-5 hours hard labor with the first wheel without correct tools.

If you're not afraid of using a clear coat remover, like aircraft strenght, you can significantly cut down the times, but risk of damaging the sides of the spokes which are painted.
Good to know. May try to pick up a rougher wheel from a wrecker to practice first.

So, if I get lazy, anyone ever tried these??
https://www.autorimshop.com/bmw-m3-2...rim-59369.html

From the picture, I think it's an OEM knock off, as I don't see the little indention for the ///M badge. That seems like a dead giveaway, but I could probably live without that to save $350.

Looks pretty much identical otherwise.
Old Fri, May-04-2018, 07:21:05 AM   #8
icanseeyou

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Good to know. May try to pick up a rougher wheel from a wrecker to practice first.

So, if I get lazy, anyone ever tried these??
https://www.autorimshop.com/bmw-m3-2...rim-59369.html

From the picture, I think it's an OEM knock off, as I don't see the little indention for the ///M badge. That seems like a dead giveaway, but I could probably live without that to save $350.

Looks pretty much identical otherwise.
They could be refurbs though - i believe even when buying from dealer sometimes the M logo is stuck on manually. I might br absolutely wrong though.

Can't tell without fliping it and looking on the inside of the rim haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk