BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-26-2018, 09:41:32 PM   #21
tr4ck_m3
Buildjournal

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: About to purchase Arc 8s when I saw these

Apex ftw. Its a tier above due to engineering and weight.

I personally think all replicas rims look off a bit but I'd rock them on my F30 335i. But each to their own, I had BBM LM replicas before it was so heavy, uncomfortable, slow acceleration and kept bending/ clear coat flaking.
For a daily driver, I'm sure its okay.

2002 BMW TiAg/Imola E46 ///M3 6MT | BuildJournal Tune + AFD Flexfuel E70 315whp / 242wtq
2013 BMW Sapphire Black/Black F30 335i ///M Sport 8AT | BM3 E30 Stg 2 Tune 367whp/457wtq

Last edited by tr4ck_m3; Thu, Apr-26-2018 at 09:54:44 PM.
Jump to top tr4ck_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-26-2018, 09:57:08 PM   #22
Paulo M

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dylan View Post
I don't get the big deal, replicas are obviously not as good and therefore are not as expensive. This isn't a dick measuring contest, I don't care that someone can spend an exorbitant amount of money on wheels to put on their 15 year old BMW.
If it’s just some 15yr old bmw, why try to make it look nice? Why put anything nice on any car that has depreciated past 25%? I get it, college student on a budget. But, the worse cars are found in college and high school parking lots. Pep boy mufflers, rattle canned rims, Walmart sound system etc. the best looking cars are the stock ones that are well maintained.

Why install quality parts? It’s really about the pride you have in your car, similar to the pride you have in anything that represents you (appearance, House, clothes, education etc). I wouldn’t install reps the same way I wouldn’t wear fake Jordans or Rolex. You wouldn’t be mocked for wearing cheap yet original nikes (in this case stock wheels) but you sure as hell will for wearing fake Jordans lol.

You started a thread wanting opinions so you’re getting it. If you really want those fake wheels then just buy it and enjoy them

Last edited by Paulo M; Thu, Apr-26-2018 at 10:06:56 PM.
Jump to top Paulo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-26-2018, 10:56:42 PM   #23
m3vancity

United States

Just outta curiosity is the subframe reinforced and vanos locked down? Im guessing the cars higher mileage. Rod bearings replaced cooling system refreshed?
Jump to top m3vancity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 12:35:40 AM   #24
M3_Dylan
Full of bad ideas

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3vancity View Post
Just outta curiosity is the subframe reinforced and vanos locked down? Im guessing the cars higher mileage. Rod bearings replaced cooling system refreshed?
Car had 80,000 when I bought it and had the Rod bearings and cooling system done at Best Motor Werks in Columbus OH. Currently sits around 87,000 miles, planning on reinforcing the subframe soon this summer now that my buddy who is a welder has a shop. When I get back home from Uni ill be running a vanos test to make sure it's still working properly and probably gettting a Dr. Vanos redrilled oil pump disc to make sure it doesnt fail.
2001 Steel grey M3/6speed. 19" Anthracite Apex Arc 8's (profile 3). Ground Control Coilovers with camber plates. Euro headers, Custom section 1, Grouppe M section 3. E60 sort shifter, Machnt Schenell Stage 1 intake. 19x9.5 ET22 on 245s in the front 19x10.5 ET22 on 275s in the rear
Jump to top M3_Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 12:42:08 AM   #25
nogoodname
Taking a dump

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima SE View Post
Varrstoen is for high school kids flipping burgers who cant afford Work,Volk or BBS. don't be that guy. Go with the Apex or the real stuff.
ARC8’s are pretty much a replica of a BBS wheel. I forgot which model it was.
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 01:02:42 AM   #26
M3_Dylan
Full of bad ideas

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
If it’s just some 15yr old bmw, why try to make it look nice? Why put anything nice on any car that has depreciated past 25%? I get it, college student on a budget. But, the worse cars are found in college and high school parking lots. Pep boy mufflers, rattle canned rims, Walmart sound system etc. the best looking cars are the stock ones that are well maintained.

Why install quality parts? It’s really about the pride you have in your car, similar to the pride you have in anything that represents you (appearance, House, clothes, education etc). I wouldn’t install reps the same way I wouldn’t wear fake Jordans or Rolex. You wouldn’t be mocked for wearing cheap yet original nikes (in this case stock wheels) but you sure as hell will for wearing fake Jordans lol.

You started a thread wanting opinions so you’re getting it. If you really want those fake wheels then just buy it and enjoy them
There's one stock 46 M at my fairly big school and I can promise you mine is better maintained and taken care of. I put my money into maintenance and repairs before I spend money on exhaust, wheels, ext. I obviously get where you're coming from, but I'm not trying to roll around and act like I just dropped 4 grand on a set of BBS Lms. I'm going to roll around with Varrstonens (or Arc 8s) and be humble that I could afford the car itself. I like the style of wheel, I like how it looks on the car, I don't like the price. I'm not stupid, I do hours of research before I do anything to my car and I know Apexs are going to be structurally better and lighter and that they are not real 2 pieces like BBS; I know the difference between real and replicated wheels. I posted this solely to see peoples opinions on what looks better on a steelgrey M3, not what is going to shave off a second at the track or the difference between real and reped wheels. And for the record, I talked to some guys who worked for Varrstonen at a car meet awhile back not even interested in new wheels at the time and they seemed genuine about wanting to make the best wheels they can and not some shitty "evil chineese company trying to scam off other peoples style". They probably were saying some of it trying to get me to buy shit, but thats not the point. Some of the biggest "real wheel" companies in the game right now started off making replica wheels.
2001 Steel grey M3/6speed. 19" Anthracite Apex Arc 8's (profile 3). Ground Control Coilovers with camber plates. Euro headers, Custom section 1, Grouppe M section 3. E60 sort shifter, Machnt Schenell Stage 1 intake. 19x9.5 ET22 on 245s in the front 19x10.5 ET22 on 275s in the rear
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 01:17:33 AM   #27
M3_Dylan
Full of bad ideas

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
Dude, you do you. Never ask for an opinion on this forum about color, aftermarket wheels, or anything relating to the look of your car. You aren't beholden to anybody. If you like them and the real deal isn't in your budget then don't worry about it, the world goes round everyday regardless of whether or not someone else likes, or respects, your wheels.

1. Don't go into debt over this or any car. Not worth it. Those that do are idiots and I mean complete idiots. Brain dead, incapable of long range planning, and unable to resist impulse purchases. Don't be that guy.
2. Consider used, hard to be patient and wait for a quality set.
3. Do your homework on failures or known issues. These things get blown out of proportion though. I am probably older than most on here and have had a bazillion aftermarket wheels. None broke or have bent (i don't track, i would like to but I want to retire one day).
4. Real looks better than replica, they just do.
5. Light and strong is good.
6. Think on offset and spacers.

Just end this thread because it won't go anywhere. Buy what you like
Thank you for your wisdom! Ik my future wife and kids are more important than any car. I've seen stories of people saying reped wheels bending at 20mph. I currently have REAL wheels that were about $800 new per wheel (PO wheels) and the barrel slightly bent. Twice. Real is always going to slightly look betetr and be lighter and stronger, but thats why there is a market for balling on a budget.
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 02:30:40 AM   #28
Texaz3

United States

Haha look at all the wheel police. They are effing wheels. Looks are debatable, different people like different designs. Weight is a concern, but so is the price.
Most replica wheels are made on the same production line as the "real thing" and essentially the same. Don't get your panties in a bunch over this and as others said, never ask forum opinion about things that should be your personal opinion. Get what you like and can afford and if other don't like it - F 'em.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 04:26:57 AM   #29
M3thebeast

In the garage:

United States

Whoever calls an e46 m3 "some 15 year old bmw" and doesnt appreciate this masterpiece of engineering, is not worth my time
Jump to top M3thebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-27-2018, 11:40:13 AM   #30
Steve M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Haha look at all the wheel police. They are effing wheels. Looks are debatable, different people like different designs. Weight is a concern, but so is the price.
Most replica wheels are made on the same production line as the "real thing" and essentially the same. Don't get your panties in a bunch over this and as others said, never ask forum opinion about things that should be your personal opinion. Get what you like and can afford and if other don't like it - F 'em.
No, they aren't made on the same production line. Who told you that and better yet, why would you believe that?
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote