BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 01:39:52 AM   #1
Youngblood750

Default how to operate Bi-xenon shutter on aftermarket(retrofit) projector?

I need to do something for headlights on my car. I was searching info around the web.

My car was bulit 2001. So it has come with single-xenon headlights. but it seems like previous owner had some crash so he had to fix the car. but he didn't put OE headlights. So now my car are equipped with MADE IN TAIWAN headlights(still xenon though). but pretty rubbish state. So I need to do something for headlights. either buy used OE headlights or put aftermarket projectors. I found few company who sell some retrofit package.

for me, easy thing to do is get the used 2001 single xenon headlights and just plug it. but it's not easy to find good shape of used single xenon. bi-xenon headlights are more on EBAY.

I found this

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=421528

so conversion to bi xenon from single xenon is possible, but too much work for me. because I don't have much experience with wiring and coding. maybe I can find some mechanic to do that.

and other option is buying retrofit pacakge. just replace the projector. but it seems like aftermarket projector also has bi-xenon function(HID high beam).

in this video, the guy drilled the hole on the reflector for bi-xenon shutter. but my curiosity comes up. I cannot figure out those bi-xenon shutter wiring goes to where? how to operate the bi-xenon function on my car with aftermarket projector? since my car came with single xenon.

I know I need newer version of LCM. (It also kill the warning signal for LED tail lights.)

can anyone know how to operate bi-xenon function (HID high beam) with aftermarket projector?

Last edited by Youngblood750; Wed, Apr-04-2018 at 04:19:58 AM.
Jump to top Youngblood750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 02:18:09 AM   #2
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: how to operate Bi-xenon shutter on aftermarket(retrofit) projector?

If I understand your question correctly, you should be wiring the shutter to high beams, that way they come on when you turn your high beams on

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 03:12:14 AM   #3
OneTimeM3

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokgo20 View Post
If I understand your question correctly, you should be wiring the shutter to high beams, that way they come on when you turn your high beams on
That solution will work if the OP has the DRL disabled. Otherwise, when the DRL's are on, the shutters may flutter unpredictably.

The simplest thing to do is not use the bixenon shutters. The projectors will function only as low beams, and the high beams will be the inboard halogen lights.

If the OP really really wants to use the shutters, all they need is a 12v power source to switch them on. The inboard lights can provide this power source as long as DRL's are disabled.
Jump to top OneTimeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 03:37:01 PM   #4
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

If you want original 2001 era xenon's, I'll sell you mine cheap. You will need to get new lenses and bulbs. I'd take $200 for the set plus shipping from Delaware. If you are interested, I will see about getting you pics.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by dutchhome; Wed, Apr-04-2018 at 07:16:38 PM.
Jump to top dutchhome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 07:01:25 PM   #5
WuBai
Five Spiced and Lovin' It

United States

I also have a 2001 and upgraded to the Morimoto DS 4.0 projectors. Not sure if the wiring matches up but what I ended up doing after I have research was connecting the white wire to the brown wire, then separately connecting the green wire to the red wire. The black wire was disregarded. This gave me the same function of the OEMs in every way.
Jump to top WuBai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 09:02:01 PM   #6
Pnick

United States

Check this out and learn a little bit on how it works and what is needed to trigger the high beams.

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/...n_ballasts.php

05-SMG/IB/CINN/ZCP/SUNROOF_DELETE
If they don't meet your standards, lower yours!
Jump to top Pnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 03:10:39 AM   #7
Youngblood750

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
If you want original 2001 era xenon's, I'll sell you mine cheap. You will need to get new lenses and bulbs. I'd take $200 for the set plus shipping from Delaware. If you are interested, I will see about getting you pics.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
not sure which way I go. buying bi-xenon headlights and bring my car to shop to sort it out all those wiring or I can just buy your headlights, replace lens and bulb(that's easy so I can do it by myself for sure) then use it as single-xenon. maybe I can buy your headlights then buy aftermarket projectors and retrofit if I can figure out how to operate the bi-xenon high beam shutter in aftermarket projector with my 2001 m3 which meant to never have bi-xenon functionality.

most important thing, can you send it outside of states? I live in different country

thanks for the offer though!
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 04:17:44 AM   #8
Youngblood750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnick View Post
Check this out and learn a little bit on how it works and what is needed to trigger the high beams.

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/...n_ballasts.php
thanks for the page!

It seems that I need to get those ballasts from 2002+ model if I buy 2001 xenon headlights and if I'd like to retrofit the aftermarket projector in single xenon headlights assembly. Do I understand correctly?

I think that page says ballast provides power source to operate the shutter for high beam(solenoid). (well, English isn't my mother language. sorry some technical term I may not fully understand.)
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 07:44:10 AM   #9
Youngblood750

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBai View Post
I also have a 2001 and upgraded to the Morimoto DS 4.0 projectors. Not sure if the wiring matches up but what I ended up doing after I have research was connecting the white wire to the brown wire, then separately connecting the green wire to the red wire. The black wire was disregarded. This gave me the same function of the OEMs in every way.
glad to here yours works as OEM every ways. wish that I can see some pictures. white wire from? morimoto DS 4.0? then brown from LCM?
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 02:35:35 PM   #10
OneTimeM3

Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood750 View Post
thanks for the page!

It seems that I need to get those ballasts from 2002+ model if I buy 2001 xenon headlights and if I'd like to retrofit the aftermarket projector in single xenon headlights assembly. Do I understand correctly?

I think that page says ballast provides power source to operate the shutter for high beam(solenoid). (well, English isn't my mother language. sorry some technical term I may not fully understand.)
The cited website describes the wiring output from an OEM bixenon ballast, which you do not have. Even if you get a pair of OEM bixenon ballasts, you would still need to figure out some wiring between the ballasts and LCM since your car doesn't have any bixenon wiring at all. In other words, getting the bixenon ballasts alone will not solve your problem because there's still wiring missing.

Another thing worth mentioning is that you do NOT want to mess around with any wires between HID ballasts and the bulbs. They're high voltage, and even nicking the wire insulation a tiny bit can be enough to cause a fire.

As I've mentioned earlier, the easiest route for getting the bixenon shutters working is to wire them to the halogen high beams, then disable DRL through coding. I'll add a bit more now that I know that you're not in the U.S. - if your DRL are separate low wattage bulbs instead of using the inboard halogen bulbs at half brightness (as is done in the U.S.), then you don't need to disable the DRL.
Jump to top OneTimeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote