BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Feb-22-2012, 12:48:39 AM   #81
cakM3

United States

Default Re: E90 rotors on an E46?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippystahl View Post
Our spacer is actually using the hubcentric ring so there is no problem. During the initial design we were not sure if we could incorporate the hubcentric ring but were able to make it work. The question was asked to see if the hubcentric ring was absolutely necessary. The BMW lug bolt is tapered which also centers the wheel on the car and many other car manufacturers do not use a hubcentric ring.

The final product has been on my brothers E46 M3 for almost 2 years now and has not had a single problem. I was fortunate enough to become a father so the work on my E36 M3 has slowed dramatically so we only have the one car running with the swap now.

Although for most people the E92 M3 swap is financially unreasonable, KenM3 has picked up a full set of brakes for very cheap and I am working with him to finalize the dimensions to swap the E92 M3 brakes to an E46 M3. The spacer will be the exact same design as for the 335 swap, just not as thick. The front is the easy part, the rear becomes very tricky due to brake lines.
skippystahl,

First I have to say awesome job I am looking forward to hearing more about progress on the E92 M3 brake swap. This is something I might be interested in doing for my ///M when you have everything sorted out
Jump to top cakM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-22-2015, 03:09:55 PM   #82
Oz Striker

United Kingdom

skippystahl thanks for creating this thread it's helped me in figuring out how to install F30 4 pot brembos to the E46. I'm having trouble with the F30 rotor hat height/offset:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...669&highlight=

The rotor spacer seems to be the answer. But I don't understand why you had to design your own spacer. Could you not just use an off the shelf hubcentric spacer?
Jump to top Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-22-2015, 03:39:14 PM   #83
TRACK-CZAR
TRACK-CZAR

United States

In our case, we needed the rotor to move farther outboard of the hub. The hubcentric spacer you suggest is installed on the outside of the brake rotor between the rotor and the wheel. It will not change the location of the rotor.

I am not sure it will work if you place it between the hub and the rotor.

GONE: 2005 IB ZCP,
NEW: 1997 M3 Sedan, Track Car
Jump to top TRACK-CZAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-22-2015, 05:24:05 PM   #84
skippystahl

United States

The off the shelf spacers available are wheel spacers and not rotor spacers. They only move the wheel outboard, not the rotor, which doesn't help with the offset of the rotor. I made the rotor spacer from scratch since the wheel spacers are too wide in overall diameter to fit inside the rotor and do not have the necessary holes for the rotor securing bolts. It was cheaper to buy raw steel and have all the machining done then to buy wheel spacers and have some of the machining done.

How thick of a spacer would you need in order for the rotor to line up correctly.
Jump to top skippystahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-22-2015, 10:51:58 PM   #85
Oz Striker

United Kingdom

Quote:
How thick of a spacer would you need in order for the rotor to line up correctly.
20mm, as e46 rotor hat height is 52.5mm, f30 is 73mm.

Quote:
The off the shelf spacers available are wheel spacers and not rotor spacers. They only move the wheel outboard, not the rotor, which doesn't help with the offset of the rotor. I made the rotor spacer from scratch since the wheel spacers are too wide in overall diameter to fit inside the rotor and do not have the necessary holes for the rotor securing bolts.
Ah right I see, I thought I could place a wheel spacer behind the rotor, didn't realise the diameter was too wide. Also is the securing bolt really necessary once all the wheel bolts are torqued up?
Jump to top Oz Striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-26-2015, 03:20:54 PM   #86
skippystahl

United States

The securing bolts aren't absolutely necessary as the lug bolts will hold everything together, however without the securing bolts it could be difficult to line everything up as you wont be able to get your hands on the rotor spacer to rotate it with the rotor in the way.
Jump to top skippystahl is offline   Reply With Quote