BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Mon, Aug-17-2009, 10:07:44 AM   #21
RSRlover4life
donde esta mi pantalones?

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceMX-M3 View Post
Laser detection is not functional with the current setup. If you're speeding and hear a laser alert you likely just got a ticket. Working on relocating the laser bulb so it will still work. I doubt many peeps will want to cut holes in their headrest.

WOW Very nice and possibly the cleanest setup on a car i've seen yet.

The reason I quoted you was because of the ending sentence. I think if it will save pepole some money and reduce tickets then yes, I would gladly take a hole i the headrest. Money and record over center headrest any day

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil97m3Blue View Post
Brah, AWD will make you dinner and file your taxes.
Jump to top RSRlover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Sep-05-2009, 03:01:03 AM   #22
silver_m333

United States

Great set up. When the hell is someone going to patent the idea and make a self-dimming mirror with a built in radar detector. That way it would have full functionality (since laser is so common now). I think having the radar detector located high up (like where the rearview mirror normally is) gives the best detection range. I place my V1 just to the left of my rear view mirror, but the damn cord is annoying. It is also great advertisement for punks to break into your car. I had that happen because I left the stupid mount for a cheapo Magellan GPS unit. The detector isn't that noticable when it is up high though.

I want to figure out a way to tap into the power for the rearview mirror or lights so I don't have to have the damn cord in the way. Is the plug also a power adapter or does the V1 run off straight 12V DC? How many milliamps does it draw when it is on full volume and on "full blast"? My service advisor recommended against tapping into the power of the overhead lights for that reason. Please let me know what options are possible.
Old Sat, Sep-05-2009, 04:15:54 AM   #23
RaceMX-M3
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_m333 View Post
Great set up. When the hell is someone going to patent the idea and make a self-dimming mirror with a built in radar detector. That way it would have full functionality (since laser is so common now). I think having the radar detector located high up (like where the rearview mirror normally is) gives the best detection range. I place my V1 just to the left of my rear view mirror, but the damn cord is annoying. It is also great advertisement for punks to break into your car. I had that happen because I left the stupid mount for a cheapo Magellan GPS unit. The detector isn't that noticable when it is up high though.

I want to figure out a way to tap into the power for the rearview mirror or lights so I don't have to have the damn cord in the way. Is the plug also a power adapter or does the V1 run off straight 12V DC? How many milliamps does it draw when it is on full volume and on "full blast"? My service advisor recommended against tapping into the power of the overhead lights for that reason. Please let me know what options are possible.
The technology currently exists to do anything you want, the problem is the market for what you are asking will not justify the R&D to develop, produce and market the requested setup. There's just not enough demand for it. There's shops that will integrate your V1 into your mirror and keep auto dimming, but leaves a permanent pattern etched into your mirror. The mirror I developed loses auto dimming, but reflects less glare than a traditional mirror and looks 10x better.

Regarding the power supply, I've been powering my radar detector off the wiring in my headliner for years.. not sure what concern there is.
Jump to top RaceMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-09-2009, 06:06:22 AM   #24
sly1types
Bugs explode at 160MPH

United States

That looks great, but why go to all that trouble when you live in TX where detectors are legal?
Old Wed, Sep-09-2009, 06:24:15 AM   #25
RaceMX-M3
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
That looks great, but why go to all that trouble when you live in TX where detectors are legal?
There's a few reasons people like this - even if they live in a state where radar detectors are legal. Radar detectors are a prime target for thieves - you can't steal what can't see. If you do happen to get pulled over by law enforcement, not having any evidence of a radar detector may help you avoid a ticket - if a police officer sees a radar unit stuck on your windshield that will likely result in an automatic ticket. Besides those benefits, it just plain looks awesome.
Old Wed, Sep-09-2009, 03:32:13 PM   #26
Daddyo

Very nice. Thanks.
Old Thu, Sep-10-2009, 02:02:25 AM   #27
mrtm2008

United States

Question

So is this set-up gonna be sold?
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Jump to top mrtm2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-10-2009, 02:39:16 AM   #28
RaceMX-M3
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2008 View Post
So is this set-up gonna be sold?
I can make one for you if you're interested, just shoot me a PM.
Old Wed, Sep-16-2009, 03:57:00 PM   #29
MagicMtnDan

United States

I've been creating stealth solutions for V1 units for years (I'm not an installer just a fan and user of the V1) and I must compliment you on your creativity and execution - great work!

Hiding the V1 in the center headrest is genius and your talents don't stop there. You used the remote display unit and installed it into the rearview mirror. Of course that has been done by many over the years but your work is very very clean. And the combination of the stealth install and mirror display results in a perfect install.

Do you have any slick installation ideas for the current M3 (E92) coupe? I'd be very interested in your ideas and having you do an install in my M3 (I'm in SoCal).

PS: You can see the V1 Stealth Box I designed, had fabricated and used to install in people's Porsche Boxsters here (it's an "old school" solution but it's clean and works well - all functions including laser work - that's the original box design - the later versions were much more clean and thinner when the thinner V1s were sold):
http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/stealth_v1.htm

Last edited by MagicMtnDan; Wed, Sep-16-2009 at 04:03:21 PM.
Jump to top MagicMtnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-16-2009, 11:47:35 PM   #30
silver_m333

United States

Radar detectors are legal in Florida so it isn't much of an issue for me either. A buddy of mine is from Virginia though and radar detectors are illegal there. He told me a buddy of his got pulled over with radar detector and the cop gave him an option of driving over the detector (obviously crushing it) or getting a ticket for speeding and for having a detector. Do cops in states where radar detectors are illegal have radar detector 'detectors'? I remember reading that Bel developed a detector for that reason. Tests showed that the detector simply turned itself off when the signal from a radar detector detector was pIckes up. Regardless, Valentine 1 has proven itself to be the best detector out there from personal experience. I have used 2 diferent models of Passports, a Bel, Whistler, and Cobra. Some of those I borrowed from my father and my sister. I got tagged by laser with my Passport and it never even chirped once. Funny thing is it always went off when I was driving past the airport.

The one thing that irritates the crap out of me now is Infinitys use laser cruise control that set off the laser sensor of the V1 and Audi uses radar for their accident avoidance/blind spot sensors. Damn V1 goes nuts anytime I approach either Audis or Infinitys.