BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, Jul-15-2018, 02:14:59 AM   #1
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Default My 2005 ZCP TiAg Build

Hey Guys,

I figured I would start a journal since I sort of regret not doing one last year when working on my Audi build. I am not great about taking pictures while I am working since I get so focused on what I am doing that it never even occurs to me. I will do my best to document everything I do with as many pictures as possible.
To catch everyone up, I purchased this beauty in 2009 with about 40k miles on her. It was exactly what I wanted. Fully loaded with every option for that year and the previous owner installed a CSL style carbon fiber trunk and rear diffuser (later discovered it was some ebay junk but will get to that).
In the first year of owning it I racked up almost 20k miles joy riding it like fuel grew on trees. Enjoyed the living hell out of the car! As time passed, I drove it less and less debating what I should do with it. Should I keep it, not drive it, and sell it decades later when it might be worth something again? Just sell it? Or do what I enjoy most and dump a bunch of money and parts into it and drive it? Well, this wouldnt be much of a build thread if I did the latter, right!?

My biggest issue is that I dont know what a long term project/goal is. I am one of those guys where "while I'm in there" is all I know. I quickly registered on this forum and started poking around. Had a good idea of what I intended to do to "start" the projected and it quickly went to shit as expected (I blame all of you by the way). The original plan was to do the 6MT swap so I could enjoy driving it again, throw on some coilovers, new rubber, and brake pads. As I was looking at all of the diagrams on realoem.com, thats when it started spiraling. Its so easy to see all of the "while youre in there" parts when its so clearly laid out.

I started adding to the cart everything for the swap including release bearing, guibo, center support bearing, etc, then added every bushing and ball joint for the rear end "refresh" along with the Dinan monoball RTABs, which then led me to redish for the RACP reinforcement kit, and that of course sent me to ordering a set of the aluminum subframe mounts.
Well, I couldnt refresh the rear ONLY. So I ordered the ST-XTA coilover kit(I know what youre thinking) Two reasons for this kit. One, I have STs on my A4 and they surprised me with how well they matched the feel of the OEM suspension. And two, there was a $250 dollar mail in rebate.
I then thought, "well, the exhaust has to come down for the swap soooo..." I placed the order for Active autowerks headers and section 1 with 100 cell cats. Then over to ECS for Millteks section 2 and 3.

I was just about to send out my bellhousing for machining when, just my luck, a member was selling a manual housing for the same price it would cost to have it machined..... Sold!

Now to address that brake issue. It REALLY needs pads AND rotors. So, because of this forum and its members, that 996 BBK upgrade tease might as well be done now also. I added new competition rotors to the list from getbmwparts with all of my other goodies, found a set of calipers on ebay, hit up Rally Road, got the machining service process started, added the brackets and brake lines to the order, and found from another source all of the seals to rebuild the calipers.

Ok, I thought, this should be a good start...

NOPE!

All it took was removing the intake manifold to realize I should get that used set of Dinan throttle bodies that was in the for sale section. But to my surprise, the PO had those installed along with the Dinan intake system! WTF!? Bonus!!
Well, with that money saved, What else can I stick in the big ass space where the intake manifold sits? I quickly got back on this forum and searched around to find the majority swore by ESS kits. So I hopped on that wagon and got the ESS VT2-550 kit ordered up. :P

Lastly, if I am going to supercharge the car, I better do my valve adjustment and bullet proof my vanos now. So Beisan Systems it is! And again, thanks to this forum and their members, I already scooped up the tools!

Now I got all this cool stuff I gotta put on, but the body of my car needs some love.

To start, the front bumper, when i got it, had some fake splitters that were drilled into it and it was pretty messed up from bumping things here and there I guess. The hood and fenders also had a lot of rock chips in the paint. The CSL rep trunk exposed carbon was very wavy and the resin started to yellow and began to raise under the paint causing it to crack. The trunk never sat right after hours of playing with it and it leaked water inside the battery compartment. Lastly, the rear diffuser fitment was terrible and would always pop out on the far right side.

Somethings gotta happen here and the one thing I cant do is body work.

I am sure most of you have seen the thread about JCs carbon bits. I was lucky enough to jump on that wagon early on and already got my diffuser. It looks absolutely incredible by the way.
I got very lucky again last week on this forum where a member was selling his original full carbon Scorza CSL trunk in, guess what color? He said if i bought the trunk, he would GIVE me his ECS CSL rep front bumper! Umm.. DUH!? AAANNNDDDD he lives in Richmond, AAAANNNNDDD had to drive up to NVA for some family matters the day after we talked! Umm, WHAT!? He delivered them to my house the next day before noon.... I'm sorry, but it doesnt get any better than that...
The trunk was in great condition and had the E9x lights installed already. The bumper on the other hand was not in the greatest shape, but whose gonna complain about free?
I called my body guy and asked if i could just bring him a piece of my car at a time while i work on the mechanics so he can have everything fixed and painted to go back on. He explained matching the silver would be tough that way but he would do his best and blend it all later if need be.

Awesome!

So here we are now...

I have everything except the supercharger which should arrive sometime next week.
I asked a question about my coilovers in the daily suspension thread and quickly got scolded, lol. Ok.. gear shift. Decided on Koni Yellows with H&R sport springs and currently trying to sell my ST-XTA coilover kit (BNIB).
The transmission has been put back together with the new housing, gear position sensor, and shift linkage. The pedal is in, the headers are in, and I am ready to throw the transmission back in.

This thread may take a while to complete with all of the stuff I have going on all at once. My wife works the night shift so I need to watch our three year old while she rests during the day on the weekends. I get a solid 3-4 hours of work in every Saturday and Sunday from about 7am to 11am but luckly its on stands in front of my house so its not far!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I will upload the photos I have currently tonight so everything is up to date.

Thanks!
Ryan
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jul-15-2018, 03:12:57 AM   #2
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |

Last edited by CSLM3Wannabi; Mon, Jul-16-2018 at 02:36:08 PM.
Old Sun, Jul-15-2018, 03:15:52 AM   #3
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Right before I began...

Starting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW M3 ZCP Nardo Gray | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | KW V2 w/ GC camber plates and Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | Euro bumper w/ Morimoto led fogs | 1 piece Carbon Lip | VIS XTS Full carbon hood | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |

Last edited by CSLM3Wannabi; Mon, Jul-16-2018 at 02:37:15 PM.
Old Sun, Jul-15-2018, 03:39:07 AM   #4
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Last edited by CSLM3Wannabi; Wed, Jul-18-2018 at 12:45:24 AM.
Old Sun, Jul-15-2018, 10:50:41 PM   #5
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: My 2005 ZCP TiAg Build

Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 05:45:55 AM   #6
legacyej25

United States

OP, please resize the pictures they are huge!
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 06:50:53 PM   #7
killa_e46

United States

Man, you are just getting everything done at once. This is great!

I actually just installed the Koni Yellows with H&R sport springs. I love the way they drive.

How long do you think it'll be on stands for?
Jump to top killa_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 08:42:06 PM   #8
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa_e46 View Post
Man, you are just getting everything done at once. This is great!

I actually just installed the Koni Yellows with H&R sport springs. I love the way they drive.

How long do you think it'll be on stands for?

I am hoping just a couple of months! My supercharger came in today!!

Glad to hear the Konis ride well. Im on worn shocks with Eibach springs and Eibach swaybars at the moment. Cant wait to drive it!

Anyone tell me how to get my pictures from imgur working? I can see them on Tapatalk but not on the computer? Should I host them somewhere else?

Anyway, here is a link to what iv uploaded until i figure it out.

https://b7s3wannabi.imgur.com/all
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 11:42:08 PM   #9
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Old Tue, Jul-17-2018, 12:11:01 AM   #10
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States