BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, Mar-15-2019, 03:56:33 PM   #471
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Tyler's "Better late than never" 2004 SG 6MT Slicktop Journal

Yeah, what's wrong with the diffuser?

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-15-2019, 05:13:58 PM   #472
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Loving the continuous fine tuning! All in the right direction, too.

I felt the same on the fcabs...it’s definitely “there” haha. I took mine out and went powerflex poly but sure do miss the precision.

The slant tips look money!
Hey thanks Mike! I'm sorta contemplating going back to OE rubber as the car seemed more "fun" then. It feels almost too direct and the extra NVH is more a hassle and I'm not having as much fun just driving. I don't know, hard to explain, but I'll keep feeling it out. Can you elaborate more on why you took off the TMS monoballs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
Car looks great. We need you to acquire a better CSL diffuser to finish the rear end off though. Then it will be perfect.
Thanks, I actually agree, the diffuser would need to be upgraded to JCSL or OE CSL, but I just don't care enough to do it, at least not now, maybe when I run out of things to spend $ on

The diffuser's only real flaw is where the paint line meets the CF, it's not that well done, but it's hard to notice unless you're close. For $275 shipped/painted, I'm very happy with it, so I don't feel the need to upgrade, at least not now. I'd be more pissed and likely to upgrade if the fitment were off or the color match worse, but the thing's fitment is actually really really good lol.

Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" · SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 · SCZA 2.5" sect 3 · Besian · RE pullies · WPC'd OE bearings · oil catch can · fan/SAP/washer delete · CSL battery

GroundControl S/A Koni (Hyperco/Eibach 300/600) + tall RSMs · Hotchkis front sway (med) · rear strut bar · TMS camber & subframe plates · Eibach alu rear camber arms · RE trans mounts · AKG poly subf/diff 95a · SDW RTAB · weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing · Mason clutch pedal + brass bushing · TMS black pedals · delrin brake pedal bushing

OE CSL trunk · Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · APEX 75mm Studs · Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL · ZHP "712" rack · Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-15-2019, 08:07:25 PM   #473
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Tyler's "CSL lite" 2004 SG 6MT Slicktop OE+

Honestly, reason I took it out was because while it felts “sharper” and had more feedback, it induced a lot more clunky noises and I couldn’t attribute the sharper feel to a better driving experience.

I think a fresh steering coupler and fcabs (even poly) is just as good. I felt more scared I was damaging the car with all the extra harsh noises the fcab induced. I’m ok with nvh but this seemed more on the level of abrupt/clunk-like noise. Not sure if it just accentuated something else wrong with my suspension, but switching out the monoballs to poly made that go away.

Also went from spherical rsm back to rubber. Did this twice!

I do have poly rtabs though and want to try mono there. What are your thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri, Mar-15-2019, 08:13:14 PM   #474
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Yes lol we have the same exact thoughts! Except I don't have clunky-ness, but the NVH tradeoff is too great for the street imo. It's not as fun to drive the car, it feels like more work but not in a good way (like shifting, for example).

So, I do love the monoball RTABS, it made a big, positive difference - a locked down rear end that is predictable, no squirm. I have all new OE rubber in the steering giubo, FCABs, control arms, the bearings in the control arms, etc... and I loved the car, so why did I ruin a good thing by adding monoball FCABs? Oh well, luckily I have a fresh pair of OE FCABs that I was going to sell, that I can throw on and be happy again. My RSMs are poly and I actually would rather go back to rubber, but they're very specific; e.i., "tall" rsms to recapture lost travel, so I "have" to keep them.

Maybe if I had stock rubber strut mounts and didn't have stiffer springs and swaybar, the TMS FCABs would be more tolerable?

Gotta keep reminding myself it's a street car, I don't need every mod lol Dangerous hobby!

Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" · SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 · SCZA 2.5" sect 3 · Besian · RE pullies · WPC'd OE bearings · oil catch can · fan/SAP/washer delete · CSL battery

GroundControl S/A Koni (Hyperco/Eibach 300/600) + tall RSMs · Hotchkis front sway (med) · rear strut bar · TMS camber & subframe plates · Eibach alu rear camber arms · RE trans mounts · AKG poly subf/diff 95a · SDW RTAB · weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing · Mason clutch pedal + brass bushing · TMS black pedals · delrin brake pedal bushing

OE CSL trunk · Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · APEX 75mm Studs · Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL · ZHP "712" rack · Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker

Last edited by TboneM3; Fri, Mar-15-2019 at 08:16:20 PM.
Old Fri, Mar-15-2019, 09:06:21 PM   #475
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Yes lol we have the same exact thoughts! Except I don't have clunky-ness, but the NVH tradeoff is too great for the street imo. It's not as fun to drive the car, it feels like more work but not in a good way (like shifting, for example).

So, I do love the monoball RTABS, it made a big, positive difference - a locked down rear end that is predictable, no squirm. I have all new OE rubber in the steering giubo, FCABs, control arms, the bearings in the control arms, etc... and I loved the car, so why did I ruin a good thing by adding monoball FCABs? Oh well, luckily I have a fresh pair of OE FCABs that I was going to sell, that I can throw on and be happy again. My RSMs are poly and I actually would rather go back to rubber, but they're very specific; e.i., "tall" rsms to recapture lost travel, so I "have" to keep them.

Maybe if I had stock rubber strut mounts and didn't have stiffer springs and swaybar, the TMS FCABs would be more tolerable?

Gotta keep reminding myself it's a street car, I don't need every mod lol Dangerous hobby!
LOL, can relate. Car drives like an absolute dream? Let's see what we can do to get a tiny bit more out of it.

This makes me question if there is another component in my front suspension with some play that the TMS FCAB's are exposing. I'm thinking the bushings in the control arm, they are still original.

Are you now on the 2.5" SS Section 2? I gotta hear that one of these days. I keep seeing ACS/Remus mufflers popping up and really want to do a loud mid + quiet section 3 setup.
Old Fri, Mar-15-2019, 11:06:25 PM   #476
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Edit - something I forgot to mention that bugged me, the steering feels lighter with the monoball fcabs. It seemed heavier (which I prefer) with rubber oe fcabs (w/ 30k).

Ya maybe, control arms are bearings, but there could be deflection if they're worn? Only bad thing is you have to buy the whole control arm and they're pricey (get OE lemforder).

I didn't get the SS 2.5" sect 2. Not sure I will as it's not a big upgrade, better for cammed cars.

You know what, the 2.5" piping actually makes things quieter! No M3 is louder or more annoying than one with stock 2.25" piping and a "race" sect 3. My car now with big boy headers, sect 1 and 2.5" muffler is quieter than when I had euro headers/cats and scorza no joke. The tone is nastier (in a good way), but not louder.

Last edited by TboneM3; Fri, Mar-15-2019 at 11:59:13 PM.
Old Sat, Mar-16-2019, 01:51:18 AM   #477
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Edit - something I forgot to mention that bugged me, the steering feels lighter with the monoball fcabs. It seemed heavier (which I prefer) with rubber oe fcabs (w/ 30k).

Ya maybe, control arms are bearings, but there could be deflection if they're worn? Only bad thing is you have to buy the whole control arm and they're pricey (get OE lemforder).

I didn't get the SS 2.5" sect 2. Not sure I will as it's not a big upgrade, better for cammed cars.

You know what, the 2.5" piping actually makes things quieter! No M3 is louder or more annoying than one with stock 2.25" piping and a "race" sect 3. My car now with big boy headers, sect 1 and 2.5" muffler is quieter than when I had euro headers/cats and scorza no joke. The tone is nastier (in a good way), but not louder.
Did you see Apex's dyno in the "official dyno thread"? He has nearly your same setup (camless, SS V1, 300 cell cats, Oakville Scorza, CSL airbox...but with the new section 2) and made great power and torque with it. Not to be an enabler, but I am working on a cam group-buy if it interest you (because I want cams).

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote