BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Audio/In Car Entertainment (I.C.E.) Place to discuss sights and sounds.

Old Sat, Dec-24-2016, 07:37:22 PM   #1
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Default Is my bargain dead?

My E92 M3 is "blessed" with 'base' (aka utter ****e) audio. I've just picked up a pre-loved, but unused Match PP 82DSP amp for a bargain price as step one of an upgrade. Once that's wired in I'll tackle the speakers.

Given that it's not new (although it was in original packaging and sealed in the bag in the opened box), I figured a quick test was called for, so I hooked it up to a bench power supply using the supplied loom. 12V applied, and nothing. No LEDs, nothing. Indeed my bench supply reports 0mA being drawn either through the wiring harness (which is expected as I think the power it provides is only used by the other members of the product family that it's also supplied with) or the dedicated power input.

Looks like it's dead. But despite the good price it was pristine when I unwrapped it. Not so much as a fingerprint on it (I checked!).

So, does anybody have experience of these amps and can tell me if they do anything when just power (and nothing else) is connected? Not quite sure what to do next bar await a response to my email to the manufacturer in Germany.

Thanks,

Steve

PS Merry Xmas
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-03-2017, 02:09:06 PM   #2
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

Default Re: Is my bargain dead?

Turns out that the aux input is ignored unless at least one high level input is seeing a minimum of 4V. I applied 12V to one of the high level inputs, and the amp sprang into life.

I have to say that AudioTec Fischer were VERY helpful on the phone.

The manual states:

Quote:
Once the “Power Save Mode is active the output stages of the PP 82DSP and its “Remote Output” will be turned off, thus reducing current draw to less than 250 mA.
The reality is that the standby power consumption is well under 1mA. I'd intended fitting a relay to properly isolate the amp when not needed, but I'll not now be doing that.

Also, note that if you're making up your own wiring harness, the system connector power and ground inputs are no-connects on the 82DSP. The standard harness is common with the other members of the family which do use those power connections, but for the 82DSP, power need only be supplied through the main power connections.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote