BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Wed, Apr-03-2019, 05:14:53 AM   #1
UAChris

United States

Default Nardo E36 M3 "GTS" Coupe Build Thread

Finally decided to start a build thread for my E36 M3! Wanted to create this Journal not only to share my progress with the car so far but also for the changes moving forward! My car is a 1998 M3 Coupe currently sitting at 123k Miles. The car is painted Audi Nardo Grey and features a Genuine M4 GTS full carbon wing.

The car started life as factory titanium silver on Schwarz. Picture from the day I bought it.

Drove the car and enjoyed it for about a year doing only maintenance and fixing all of the things that the previous owners had "fixed" in the past. I really fell in love with the E36 Platform and spent a lot of time finding a direction for the build. I've contemplated Lsx swaps, widebodies, and a lot of other crazy ideas. While I have a lot of appreciation for the widebody and LS powered E36's out there, I learned to really appreciate the S52 and the stock body. So I decided to enjoy the S52 for all that it has and if it ever decides to give up on me or I complete everything else that I have planned for on the car(sounds even more crazy when I write it down!LOL) then I am set on an S54 swap for 8k+ redline and perfect fit for my idea of a perfect M3. I've decided to build the car to be my own rendition of an E36 M3 GTS if it were created by BMW but with some slightly more modern touches! Stay tuned as I will be updating this thread to show how I got to this point as well as what the very near future holds! Please let me know how I can improve as this is my first post and thanks for reading!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08760.JPG (646.7 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08783.jpg (763.3 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5571.JPG (544.8 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08749.jpg (754.9 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08771.jpg (728.5 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by UAChris; Wed, Apr-03-2019 at 05:29:20 AM.
Jump to top UAChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Apr-03-2019, 02:18:53 PM   #2
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Nardo E36 M3 "GTS" Coupe Build Thread

That E36 is stunning! Welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to seeing updates.

JaredMV's M3 Touring Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
8k shipped. Lmk thanks
Jump to top JaredMV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-03-2019, 03:38:08 PM   #3
FK

United States

It's definitely different than the typical LTW wing E36 M3 build. That being said, the M4 GTS was a failure. Please don't put a washer bottle in your trunk lol.

Also, you're gonna need a front splitter to balance out the wing.
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-03-2019, 04:01:30 PM   #4
ECSTuning
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

I like the idea, can't wait to see more.
-James

ECS Tuning your #1 source for all things German automotive
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Jump to top ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-03-2019, 05:52:15 PM   #5
UAChris

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
I like the idea, can't wait to see more.
-James
Thank you! I look forward to sharing the build with everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
It's definitely different than the typical LTW wing E36 M3 build. That being said, the M4 GTS was a failure. Please don't put a washer bottle in your trunk lol.

Also, you're gonna need a front splitter to balance out the wing.
I love the LTW style and debated getting a carbon version made for a long time, but after I had the idea of the GTS wing and doing the research and finding out that the width of the wing with BMW Motorsport endplates was the exact width of the trunk lid, I just had to pull the trigger as I believe it’s a first ever! While the M4 GTS definitetly didn’t do well, I appreciate BMW applying their own version of the Porsche RS treatment and that is the style that I am trying to capture. My goal is to keep it OEM+ where possible and take it to the next up a notch where possible. As for the front splitter, I think the lack of splitter and overall lack of aggression in the front end takes away from the overall look of the wing and the rest of the car as a whole so i’ll definitetly fix that soon with another OEM+ solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredMV View Post
That E36 is stunning! Welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to seeing updates.

Thank you so much! I order a majority of my parts through ECS so I definitetly appreciate the support and always amazing CS!

Last edited by UAChris; Wed, Apr-03-2019 at 07:03:03 PM.
Old Wed, Apr-03-2019, 06:57:37 PM   #6
UAChris

United States

DSC09561.JPG

A preview of what's to come. A lot of parts sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get some time to throw them on.

Clarion M508 Head unit to complete the audio setup.

Porsche 996 Brembo upgrade w/ Rallyroad Adapter brackets and stainless lines. Calipers are still dirty and waiting for rebuild kit and then stripping and painting them Sakhir Orange to match the rears.

OEM Lower control arms w/ Turner 80a Poly LCAB's

Lemforder Tie rods

Not pictured: Strut tower reinforcement plates, Rogue Engineering strut brace, SAP delete, Hard Motorsport Door pulls, Stoptech E46 M3 325mm Rotors, Hawk pads, Kirk Racing 4 Point roll bar, and a few other small pieces.

DSC09569.jpg

DSC09566.jpg

A couple of photos of the interior as it sits. Current upgrades include Erwins Carbon Center console and door trim, Mtech II Tri Stitch/Black Alcantara wheel, Tri-Stitch e-brake boot, e-brake handle, shifter trim, Leather/Alcantara reupholstered door panels, and Genuine BMW Motorsport Golf ball shift knob.

More updates coming soon once all of this gets installed!
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 02:49:16 AM   #7
m3vancity

United States

That wing looks better on the e46 then the gts.
Beautifully executed!
Jump to top m3vancity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 03:26:53 AM   #8
westopher

Canada

Cool car. Out of the box thinking. I agree the car really needs a splitter. Looks and feel. I'm sure that wing puts quite a bit of downforce down.
Any interior pics?

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 04:13:42 AM   #9
UAChris

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3vancity View Post
That wing looks better on the e46 then the gts.
Beautifully executed!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Cool car. Out of the box thinking. I agree the car really needs a splitter. Looks and feel. I'm sure that wing puts quite a bit of downforce down.
Any interior pics?

Thanks! The splitter is a must and will definitely be ordering soon! I plan on doing the same OEM LTW splitter setup as you to keep with the rest of the OEM+ inspired elements. A couple of interior pics above but plan on changing the interior setup soon!
Old Fri, Apr-05-2019, 01:35:44 PM   #10
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

In addition to the roll bar and front splitter, I hope you put in some Recaro buckets to complete the GTS theme.

Very cool build and glad you are sharing it here.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote