BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 03:40:16 AM   #51
The Lewtz
Registered User
 
The Lewtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 107
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 The Lewtz is on a distinguished road
Location: Simpsonville

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat-Six View Post
Good point. I see this with my own kids. None of my kids take care of their cars, they just drive them. Interiors all look like crap, yet they all have $1000 phones. Just different priorities. You could always eat off the floors of my cars. There will always be "motor heads" but not as many. I hope they don't all jump on the older M3's, let them keep dreaming of the latest and greatest with all the gadgets. I often tell my wife, I wish I was born in 1935-40, and just getting out of college in 1955-60, so I could of really experienced the european cars of the late 50's into the 60's and really watched the technology progress. Ha, rant over!!!
I always feel like I should have born either 30-35yrs earlier, or maybe 100yrs from now. I'm a gen'xr barely born in 80'. So While I still have the mindset on a lot of topics with boomers, I'm also pretty heavily into sci-fi and tech. Not phone type tech.. but the idea of being born 100yrs from now when we are maybe starting to reach out into the stars appeals a lot. But so does being old before the internet hit b/c i enjoy the simpler things also.
Jump to top The Lewtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 03:53:17 AM   #52
terraphantm
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,533
In the garage:
Reputation: 11 terraphantm is on a distinguished road
Location: Philadelphia

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
E36 is trash
E46 is the best car ever made
E90 is trash

Yup, Im definitely in the E46 section, haha.
I don't think anyone is saying quite that. Seems like the consensus is that the E46 is a perfected E36. So no reason to own the E36. And E90 is very different from E46, so if you're going after that E36/E46 feel, then the E90 is the wrong car.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 03:54:06 AM   #53
Paulo M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,620
Reputation: 0 Paulo M is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat-Six View Post
I wish I was born in 1935-40, and just getting out of college in 1955-60, so I could of really experienced the european cars of the late 50's into the 60's
So pre-tech cars with caveman suspension and tires. Not to mention lack of availability.

Id rather enjoy cars in my prime. Early 2000s-present is hard to beat. Cars you can buy used for the price of a lawnmower today are incredible lol
__________________
BREMBO APEX DIXIS
Jump to top Paulo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 03:59:44 AM   #54
terraphantm
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,533
In the garage:
Reputation: 11 terraphantm is on a distinguished road
Location: Philadelphia

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat-Six View Post
I often tell my wife, I wish I was born in 1935-40, and just getting out of college in 1955-60, so I could of really experienced the european cars of the late 50's into the 60's and really watched the technology progress. Ha, rant over!!!
On occasion I feel like that. But then I remember a lot more than just cars have changed in that time. In particular those of us who have some extra melanin didn't have a great time in most of the world during that time period lol
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 04:11:22 AM   #55
Steve M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,436
Reputation: 0 Steve M3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Houston

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I don't think anyone is saying quite that. Seems like the consensus is that the E46 is a perfected E36. So no reason to own the E36. And E90 is very different from E46, so if you're going after that E36/E46 feel, then the E90 is the wrong car.
It really does come across that way in this section. I simply stated that I like the E36 because it’s a blast to drive and a really fun car. While I understand that the E46 is a better car in almost every way on paper and in reality, it doesn’t mean that the E36 should be forgotten or written off. A lot of it’s charm, at least to me, is that it isn’t perfect and is very analog. When I drive the E36 I feel things and emotions that I don’t feel when driving the E46.

The only reason I brought up the E90 is because it’s basically the same argument. The E90 is better than the E46 on paper as well as in reality. It’s smoother, more refined, faster, has a nicer interior, etc etc. Does that mean I want one? Not really. I’ve tried to like the E9x so many times but it just doesn’t do it for me. I’ve also owned an E90 335i and that car was boring compared to the E46 even though it was a much better car when it came to specifications. A lot of times things that make a car imperfect are in reality what makes them perfect for certain people.

If you guys don’t like the E36, I really don’t care. I love it and it’s a keeper in my humble little collection.
Jump to top Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 04:23:38 AM   #56
Andrebxp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 96
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Andrebxp is on a distinguished road
Location: Long Island

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

The E36 is flimsy and feels like its going to fall apart at any minute. But they are fun little cars for a few thousand bucks. However, I'd never daily one.

The biggest issue they have, that drives me up the wall, is that idiotic non-adjustable steering column.
Jump to top Andrebxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 04:36:21 AM   #57
black bnr32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 179
Reputation: 0 black bnr32 is on a distinguished road

Canada




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

I just can’t believe how well the e46 chassis was tuned from factory. The e36 was a little soft in comparison.

And the power oversteer of the e46 can’t be beat.

I value paint condition over most else when buying a car like the e46 m3. And rust, obviously. Everything else I can fix myself.
Jump to top black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 01:00:11 PM   #58
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 39,063
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
It really does come across that way in this section. I simply stated that I like the E36 because it’s a blast to drive and a really fun car. While I understand that the E46 is a better car in almost every way on paper and in reality, it doesn’t mean that the E36 should be forgotten or written off. A lot of it’s charm, at least to me, is that it isn’t perfect and is very analog. When I drive the E36 I feel things and emotions that I don’t feel when driving the E46.

The only reason I brought up the E90 is because it’s basically the same argument. The E90 is better than the E46 on paper as well as in reality. It’s smoother, more refined, faster, has a nicer interior, etc etc. Does that mean I want one? Not really. I’ve tried to like the E9x so many times but it just doesn’t do it for me. I’ve also owned an E90 335i and that car was boring compared to the E46 even though it was a much better car when it came to specifications. A lot of times things that make a car imperfect are in reality what makes them perfect for certain people.

If you guys don’t like the E36, I really don’t care. I love it and it’s a keeper in my humble little collection.
a) the e90 interior is worse than the e46 interior, imo. Instruments not aimed at the driver, control lag (always aggravated me with the seat heater buttons in particular), most have the iDrive hump, dash doesn't stylistically flow into the door cards, uglier steering wheel, chode DCT knob, no coolant temp gauge, uglier general layout, etc.

b) nobody said they don't like the e36. I just took issue with your statement than the e36 with an s54 is a better M3 than the e46. Clearly I like the e36, or I wouldn't have owned 3 of them. I can like it, and think the e46 is a better car.

c) agreed on the e9X. I find that the longer it's been since I've driven one, the more it seems like a good idea to buy another.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Thu, Nov-14-2019 at 01:06:04 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 02:28:19 PM   #59
Race M3
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
 
Race M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 138
Reputation: 0 Race M3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Classified

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Both cars are awesome, but an E36 with a S54 would be the perfect all around M3.
Idk have 2 e36 m3's I've swapped engines on. most recent one is a 95 i put an s50b30 in which is fun.

But the one my brother now owns is a 98 m3/4/6 (now 6 speed) lux sedan I swapped in an s50b32 that i built with schrick 296/296 cams/headers/intake/tune/etc. and that thing is nuts. paired it up with a getrag 420g from an e46 m3. blows the doors off of my e46/e92's etc. etc. sounds like a cammed LS at idle with the lope from the cams, one thing i wish the s54 did with big cams...screams at full throttle.

e36 to me = nostalgic/fun/small car you can throw around and pretty damned reliable.

e46 = how an m3 should be best balance of luxury and performance with one of the best engines of our time.

e92 = best daily driver. not much faster than the e46 once they are going. but its more comfortable. exhaust note with the right exhaust is the best though....not too many high strung free revving race bred v8s this side of 200k in existence. and the e9x offers that.

f8x = a really fast 335i that makes fart sounds from the exhaust.

Last edited by Race M3; Thu, Nov-14-2019 at 02:37:30 PM.
Jump to top Race M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Nov-14-2019, 02:29:39 PM   #60
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 39,063
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race M3 View Post
Idk have 2 e36 m3's I've swapped engines on. most recent one is a 95 i put an s50b30 in which is fun.

But the one my brother now owns is a 98 m3/4/6 (now 6 speed) lux sedan I swapped in an s50b32 that i built with schrick 296/296 cams/headers/intake/tune/etc. and that thing is nuts. paired it up with a getrag 420g from an e46 m3. blows the doors off of my e46/e92's etc. etc. sounds like a cammed LS at idle with the lope from the cams, one thing i wish the s54 did with big cams...screams at full throttle.
You could use the vanos to make the s54 run worse with big cams
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Why You Need to Buy an E46 M3 Right Now in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)