BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:10:20 PM   #1
nextelbuddy1

United States

Default What is this sensor on top of the valve cover? (PCV Solenoid- see post 26 for delete)

newer M3 engines have this sensor that look like the brake booster sucking jet. this sensor gets vacuum from the air rail and connects to the PCV tube. older S54 engines dont have it and instead have a plain long PCV single tube.

im only curious about it in regards to how to handle it with a carbon airbox install. what do you do with it?

my car doesnt have it so i had no problems with my carbon airbox install but another person I helped with did have it.

is it a sensor that does exist on older S54 but is relocated to the top on newer S54?
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:14:46 PM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: What is this sensor on top of the valve cover?

It was added to newer S54's for emissions, I believe
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:33:38 PM   #3
NevEragon

United States

That's not a sensor. It's a solenoid valve for vacuum.
Jump to top NevEragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:34:21 PM   #4
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
It was added to newer S54's for emissions, I believe
im curious if people who go the carbon airbox route, if they just remove it completely? I left the sensor in place and plugged in to avoid a CEL (even though I flashed the CSL software to the DME i'm sure it doesn't look for it)

I left it in place plugged in but plugged up/capped off the vacuum line when i replaced the PCV tube with the CSL one.
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:44:32 PM   #5
JuicyM3
Popopopop

In the garage:

Australia

"The oil separator allows the crankcase to safely vent air and stop oil from escaping during the process. If your hoses have cracked due to heat and age, the resulting leak may cause your system to malfunction. Replace your cracked hoses as soon as you can to keep your car running smoothly."

Jump to top JuicyM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:49:21 PM   #6
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I removed it when I did the MAP rail, unwired it, and the car doesn't look for it because the CSL never had it (and I'm CSL based software).

The CSL software is the correct way to do the airbox, so it's kind of a self correcting problem.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:51:09 PM   #7
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy1 View Post
im curious if people who go the carbon airbox route, if they just remove it completely? I left the sensor in place and plugged in to avoid a CEL (even though I flashed the CSL software to the DME i'm sure it doesn't look for it)

I left it in place plugged in but plugged up/capped off the vacuum line when i replaced the PCV tube with the CSL one.

If you cannot mate the stock setup to the CSL box, that's the route I would go, too.
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:51:52 PM   #8
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

It's a solenoid, not a sensor. If you have it you don't want to leave it unplugged (since that solenoid is only closed when energized). If you have software that doesn't look for it (like the CSL and all non-HPs), then you'll want to delete it for the same reason. That solenoid being constantly open will result in a rather large vacuum leak
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 03:53:25 PM   #9
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
It's a solenoid, not a sensor. If you have it you don't want to leave it unplugged (since that solenoid is only closed when energized). If you have software that doesn't look for it (like the CSL and all non-HPs), then you'll want to delete it for the same reason. That solenoid being constantly open will result in a rather large vacuum leak
Good point - makes sense BMW would want it normally open to take advantage of the air rail's vacuum for crankcase gasses.
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 05:59:59 PM   #10
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
ok good to know. I left it plugged in since I wasnt sure but I did flash CSL software to an HP DME for a local person when i installed their carbon airbox setup and map sensor. I left the solonoid in the stock location for now and simply plugged/capped the end of it to prevent the vacuum leak. the owner didnt like it missing because it looked empty with it gone so for now they have it just sitting in the stock location but it is plugged.

thats good to know that NON HP DMEs dont look for it but HP DMEs do look for it.

im curious how you would know what its DTC is to code it out manually? other than waiting for the CEL to trigger then using PASoft to read the DTC/Hex code.... otherwise i dont have a list of DTC codes matched with the name of the sensors they are mated with.

that's my method, i wait for the DTC to trigger then retrieve the code with PASoft then i can table look it up in the DTC PDF in the coding section but some others like yourself just know what the DTC/Hex value is and the address for any given sensor.