BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 07:10:56 PM   #11
M3_JA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Reputation: 0 M3_JA is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Springs not orientated properly on perches/hats? Running out of ideas...
lol yeah me too that's why I'm picking your brain. I thought it might have been springs on the first side but I did the second side a day later and made sure they were exactly as stock and still got the noise. So could swapping left/right mounts create this kind of issue. I thought they looked identical but obviously I was wrong so I'm not sure if I put them on the right side...I will have to check.
Jump to top M3_JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 07:20:15 PM   #12
TboneM3
YNWA
 
TboneM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,554
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TboneM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Socal

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

L/R springs are the same. Could be upside down though. You match the egg shape, which is the bottom of the spring, to the egg shaped bottom seat on Konis and stock struts. Sway bar ear facing rear of car.

Truth be told, it shouldn't matter as the weight of the car will, effectively, weld the MacPherson strut assembly together. Nothing should be moving around with hundreds of pounds on it, but maybe the orientation is causing the spring to "jump" or bind in a funny way, I'm not sure.

Hard to tell over the interwebz.
__________________
/// 2004 SilberGrau M3 · Coupe · 6MT · slicktop · manual seats · zero options · JOURNAL
-NA S54-


·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/525) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs · ZHP 13.7:1 P/S Rack
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar D917 FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE D738 FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"

Last edited by TboneM3; Thu, Jul-19-2018 at 07:23:35 PM.
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 07:21:15 PM   #13
M3_Pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 495
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 M3_Pilot is on a distinguished road
Location: OC

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

I could help you out if you're local. I've pulled apart my suspension multiple times trying to find a knocking sound when I first got my car I could take it off with my eyes closed.
__________________


2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 07:31:15 PM   #14
M3_JA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Reputation: 0 M3_JA is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
L/R springs are the same. Could be upside down though. You match the egg shape, which is the bottom of the spring, to the egg shaped bottom seat on Konis and stock struts. Sway bar ear facing rear of car.

Truth be told, it shouldn't matter as the weight of the car will, effectively, weld the MacPherson strut assembly together. Nothing should be moving around with hundreds of pounds on it, but maybe the orientation is causing the spring to "jump" or bind in a funny way, I'm not sure.

Hard to tell over the interwebz.
Yeah the springs are on the correct side and not upside down but the strut top mount could be on the wrong side. Does it make a difference if I hear the noise with the car on jack stands so the suspension is unloaded?

Looks like I'm going to have to take it apart and try again.
Jump to top M3_JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 07:31:55 PM   #15
M3_JA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Reputation: 0 M3_JA is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
I could help you out if you're local. I've pulled apart my suspension multiple times trying to find a knocking sound when I first got my car I could take it off with my eyes closed.

Thanks for the offer Pilot that would be awesome but I'm in the Seattle area so not close enough...
Jump to top M3_JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-19-2018, 11:03:19 PM   #16
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,089
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

So the bottom of the spring sits on a perch that rotates about an axis with the entire strut. The top of the spring sits on this bearing. It sounds to me that the top is not assembled properly and what you are getting is a rotational force on the spring that gets loaded and lets loose and then gets reloaded again as you keep rotating the steering wheel. Check that it is all seated in the proper grooves when you release the spring compressor. It can line up perfectly when everything is loose but then once the spring compressor is released something goes on crooked and pinches, blocking the spring from rotating with the strut.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 03:15:08 PM   #17
M3_JA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Reputation: 0 M3_JA is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
So the bottom of the spring sits on a perch that rotates about an axis with the entire strut. The top of the spring sits on this bearing. It sounds to me that the top is not assembled properly and what you are getting is a rotational force on the spring that gets loaded and lets loose and then gets reloaded again as you keep rotating the steering wheel. Check that it is all seated in the proper grooves when you release the spring compressor. It can line up perfectly when everything is loose but then once the spring compressor is released something goes on crooked and pinches, blocking the spring from rotating with the strut.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This sounds like what could be happening. I will disassemble them this weekend and double check everything. Does anyone know of a good picture showing how the top is assembled?
Jump to top M3_JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-20-2018, 03:37:45 PM   #18
TboneM3
YNWA
 
TboneM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,554
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TboneM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Socal

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

Yes, the official one

__________________
/// 2004 SilberGrau M3 · Coupe · 6MT · slicktop · manual seats · zero options · JOURNAL
-NA S54-


·Evolve-R Alpha N · Evolve CSL CF Airbox · Eventuri Scoop · Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm · SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC · OE sect 2 60mm · SS Sport 60mm
·Besian · RE pullies/fan delete · WPC rod bearings · GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/525) + tall RSMs · TMS Camber & Subframe plates · SPC Adj alloy rear camber arms
·RE Trans Mounts · AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a · SDW RTAB · Weighted ///M knob + UUC DSSR + delrin carrier bush · OE CSL trunk · APEX 75mm Studs · ZHP 13.7:1 P/S Rack
·Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" · MPSS 245/275 · Brembo 996 36/40 345mm CSL Textar D917 FF & 28/30 328mm CSL ATE D738 FF · CM brackets & ss/teflon lines
·Pioneer DEH-80PRS · Eclipse PA5422 · CDT HD-6 + WS-100i · CDT EX-530 · 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 · PPI 1600.4 · CDT HD-6 + HD-100 · CDT EX-530 · DVC 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 05:47:01 PM   #19
M3_JA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 87
Reputation: 0 M3_JA is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

OK so I found the problem is not the springs but has to do with the strut mount sticking a little when turned. When starting to turn it, it requires a little extra pressure that causes the thump or pop sound. So I took it apart and checked every piece to make sure it's installed correctly, cleaned with WD-40 and applied some chain lube to parts of the mount to help with movement but still it makes that noise. Also, when it's not tightened down it doesn't make the noise, but when it's tight it gets worse and on the car even sticker. Has anyone run into this? All parts are new except the springs so I can't figure out what the problem is.
Jump to top M3_JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 09:01:35 PM   #20
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,089
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: Noise after strut rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_JA View Post
OK so I found the problem is not the springs but has to do with the strut mount sticking a little when turned. When starting to turn it, it requires a little extra pressure that causes the thump or pop sound. So I took it apart and checked every piece to make sure it's installed correctly, cleaned with WD-40 and applied some chain lube to parts of the mount to help with movement but still it makes that noise. Also, when it's not tightened down it doesn't make the noise, but when it's tight it gets worse and on the car even sticker. Has anyone run into this? All parts are new except the springs so I can't figure out what the problem is.
If you assemble the strut without the spring, does the bearing and top mount make the noise when turning by hand? It should spin freely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
noise, rebuild, strut, turning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Noise after strut rebuild in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)