BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, May-13-2018, 01:34:52 PM   #1
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Default Anyone use headlight lense film?

Hi guysÖ im curious if anyone is using any type of headlight lense film besides lamin-x? I know most would say its not needed but i prefer to run them to protect from pitting. However i notice that the lamin x films appear to be wavy at certain viewing angles and id like to get away from this. Are there any films that dont give the wavy or rippled affect and have a true clear unoticable look?

U can see in the pic what i mean.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 02:34:25 PM   #2
kokgo20

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Anyone use headlight lense film?

I believe that all films will look the same unless you wet sand them but even though I don’t think they will be 100% flat.

Build thread
05/2004 SMG PY/BLK - 600 TCKline - CPI Headers & resonated Sec1- Stoptech BBK 6 pod front & 4 pod rear with steel lines - 75mm Studs conversion - PF RTABs & FCABs - AKG subframe bushings - Multi color AEs - FR-X 3.0 Projectors - Smoked Side markers - Euro bumper - V1 with hard wire & Stealth one - M Track Mod - ZCP steering rack - Dual LI - CSL Style diffuser - SCZA Exhaust - E9x Door handle LED retrofit - SCZA CSL bootlid - VEI systems custom air vent A/F & boost gauge - VEI custom air vent Water temp & oil pressure guage- Active Prima plus + FS tune - Mishimoto Radiator & Oil cooler - H&R front Sway - UUC camber arms - keyless & push to start system - clear bra - interiors red stitching contrast - Apex PS7s - 16" Spal fan
Jump to top kokgo20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 02:51:46 PM   #3
wiry

United States

For what it's worth, that looks like a particularly bad install of Lamin-X or maybe one that hasn't fully cured yet. I've had it on my headlights, corners, and fogs for almost 5 years and while there's definitely some minor wavy-ness, it looks nothing like that.

2005 SG M3 Build Journal
Jump to top wiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 02:54:00 PM   #4
rovert604

Canada

Default Anyone use headlight lense film?

I use XPEL Ultimate on my whole front end (hood, fenders, bumper) including lens covers. Itís held up great over three years of daily duties including snow, so far. Lots of highway road trips and being blasted by an assortment of road debris. Never had an issue so far. The cool thing is the film is self healing once it warms up or you pour hot ďto the touchĒ water over it. Although if something large enough hits it to take a little chunk out that isnít healing but the film is pretty thick to absorb high impact energy pretty decently.

Last edited by rovert604; Sun, May-13-2018 at 02:57:12 PM.
Jump to top rovert604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 02:57:52 PM   #5
lmtfi

United States

I have it on my fog lenses - and there is no orange peel.
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 03:47:16 PM   #6
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert604 View Post
I use XPEL Ultimate on my whole front end (hood, fenders, bumper) including lens covers. Itís held up great over three years of daily duties including snow, so far. Lots of highway road trips and being blasted by an assortment of road debris. Never had an issue so far. The cool thing is the film is self healing once it warms up or you pour hot ďto the touchĒ water over it. Although if something large enough hits it to take a little chunk out that isnít healing but the film is pretty thick to absorb high impact energy pretty decently.

You beat me to it. I have Expel film on my headlight lenses and it works great! I bought new lenses two years ago and installed the film then and the lenses still look exactly the same. I daily drive my car so it gets tested regularly.

I had Lamin X film previously and had the same issues. It was slightly tinted film.

Expel Ultimate

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 04:19:48 PM   #7
rbg

United States

Looks really good! Is that it:

Jump to top rbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 05:02:48 PM   #8
rovert604

Canada

I donít know much about the non-Ultimate film in terms of thickness, gloss properties. But Iíd spend the extra in Ultimate so even if you mar it with swirls, itíll just self heal and return back to a mirror finish.
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 05:13:33 PM   #9
Paulo M

United States

Looks great Wolf!

I always wanted to do this but held off bcs new lenses are so cheap and easy to replace. But with how nice these clear films have become I might as well do it next time I change the lense.
Old Sun, May-13-2018, 06:18:57 PM   #10
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Thank you all for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiry View Post
For what it's worth, that looks like a particularly bad install of Lamin-X or maybe one that hasn't fully cured yet. I've had it on my headlights, corners, and fogs for almost 5 years and while there's definitely some minor wavy-ness, it looks nothing like that.

Ive had these on for over a year now so its not a curing issue. All the water was pushed out after install with the card laminx privides. Im wondering if its an issue with slightly tinted films?

Quote:

That looks really clearÖ thats what im looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
I have it on my fog lenses - and there is no orange peel.
Im not saying you dont have it but the fog lenses would be much harder to see wavyness im assuming. Since the sit lower on the carÖ film covers a much smaller area and the actuall oem fog glass is sorta different then headlight lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
You beat me to it. I have Expel film on my headlight lenses and it works great! I bought new lenses two years ago and installed the film then and the lenses still look exactly the same. I daily drive my car so it gets tested regularly.

I had Lamin X film previously and had the same issues. It was slightly tinted film.

Expel Ultimate

So you was experiencing the same thing with laminx SLIGHTLY TINTED flim? I cant really see it in your pic. Im asking cause im using that exact same film with it being slightly tinted.

Quote:
I donít know much about the non-Ultimate film in terms of thickness, gloss properties. But Iíd spend the extra in Ultimate so even if you mar it with swirls, itíll just self heal and return back to a mirror finish.
If this is the case and its truely clear without the wavyness then im game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokgo20 View Post
I believe that all films will look the same unless you wet sand them but even though I donít think they will be 100% flat.
If this is the case and they all have that then i wont be getting any type of film for the lenses.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is online now   Reply With Quote