BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-23-2009, 03:33:34 AM   #1
anfesagi

United States

Question DSC light on + Yellow 'Brake' light

hi there, today while driving the DSC + Yellow Brake lights came on. The manual says it is a system malfunction, to drive carefully and take the car in for service. I turned the car off for about 2 hours, it is normal now. What should I worry about. Thanks for your comments (2004 convertible, 20k miles)
Jump to top anfesagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-23-2009, 03:53:59 AM   #2
MarylandM3
"Whose baby is that"

United States

Sometimes these systems act up like that. I've had similar cars to my M3 and the lights would come on and then they would go away after i turned it off, and stay off. It could very well be nothing, and more than likely is. But just be careful because it could be sensing something that could possibly go wrong down the road. What that is, idk, it could be a lot of things, just stay cautious.
Jump to top MarylandM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-23-2009, 06:06:30 AM   #3
Exacc

Mine did that same thing at the track once..and on the road once also. My tech said it is probably nothing...or it could be a number of things. Hard to replace items which could be fine, so he said to just wait till it turns on and stays on.

Anyway, did some research, it could be ABS/speed sensors on each of the 4 wheels or Steering Angle sensor ...but since my warning light turned off...I just ignore it till the problem comes back again.
Old Tue, Jun-23-2009, 01:37:19 PM   #4
anfesagi

United States

Thanks for the info. The behavior looks just like yours. Today, no lights, everything normal. We'll see what happens. Have a nice day!
Jump to top anfesagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-23-2009, 08:00:52 PM   #5
bogart79

United States

Same thing happened to me last week. Like you it turned off after starting the car up the next day. I attributed it to putting 265/35 tires on my rears with 225/45 fronts, messing with my speed sensors. Until it stays on I wouldn't worry about it.
Jump to top bogart79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-23-2009, 11:13:11 PM   #6
sosheal

United States

I've had the same situation with the same fault lights coming on twice, each time going away a few drive cycles later. From my reading, it seems the ABS light if often illuminated as well when it a wheel sensor. I pulled the codes - DSC pressure sensor failure. Those look like a PITA to replace, so, like others, I'm waiting until the lights stay on before doing the repair.
Old Sat, Sep-05-2009, 11:01:07 PM   #7
kbk_75

India

I drive a 2007 E92 M3 6 speed. I recently had the DSC, ABS and FTM failure lights and idrive error appear in my car. The next day the problem went away. Then it happened again and again the next day the errors were gone.

I took the car to the dealer (when there were no error messages showing) and they kept it for a day and gave the car back saying there was a loose contact in the wiring loom. I left the dealership and within 3 minutes of leaving the lights were back on, so I turned around and went back to them. They hooked the car up to the computer and said that the DSC module needs to be replaced. Fortunately my car's still under warranty so it's going to be done free of cost. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.
Jump to top kbk_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 05:11:14 AM   #8
vrmac
Design....

United States

well this may or may not help but i had a similar problem in "another" car ... The issue was traced to a slightly low brake fluid level.. have a look...
Jump to top vrmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 12:07:59 PM   #9
AmpTree

Malaysia

yep, it could be nth at all. it happened to me 2 days ago, it lights came on halfway i was driving out after a car wash. i just stopped, and restarted the car, and its gone.

i feel that our Ms will always have some minor issues like this, i will jz restart the car and everything will go away.
Jump to top AmpTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 04:14:39 PM   #10
Synergx8

In the garage:

United States

This happened to me 2 weeks ago on my 06 m3 vert. It turned off after 4 days. BMW plugged it into the computer and said that it was a DSC / ABS sensor. Forgot which one. They just replaced it w/o issue.

Just take it into BMW, they'll take care of it.
Jump to top Synergx8 is offline   Reply With Quote