BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Oct-02-2016, 05:11:11 PM   #81
ShroomTurkey

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Just replaced my driver's side door actuator - DIY, Hints, & Tips

Got my driver's side door lock actuator out this morning only to realize the part I bought to replace it back in January looks a little different where the outside handle wire attaches. Looks like there is no way to attach it. I think the seller I purchased from sent wrong part number or something.

Anyone know which model BMW this part belongs too so I can try to resell if he doesn't send me the right part?

Original part is on right side in both pics. 2002 M3

WTB: Imola Driver's Seat
Jump to top ShroomTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Feb-25-2017, 08:27:15 PM   #82
brad-cam

United States

Replaced the bad actuator on the passenger side of my 2002 M3 today using the wisdom from this and other threads. It took about 30 minutes, easier than expected.

Some observations, some the same as others have already noted:

- No need to touch the airbag, leave it alone.
- peel back the plastic/foam barrier by cutting the butyl sealant with a utility blade to expose the working area, fold it back over the airbag and tie it out of the way with a zip tie.
- remove the top and bottom 10mm nuts on the window track
- lower the window so you can get a wrench on the torx bolt through the hole - about 3-4"
- **loosen** the torx bolt using a female torx socket. No need to remove it, just loosen it so it doesn't come apart. By now I hope anyone working on their own BMW has a female torx socket set, if not go get one fast :-)
- remove the outside door handle cable from the actuator
- remove the electric cable from the actuator (you can't see it, reach in, feel for it, squeeze both side tabs and pull free
- remove the 3 torx bolts attaching the actuator to the door. Hold it from the inside when removing the last of the 3 bolts
- move it so you can see it and remove the inside door handle cable from the actuator and set aside.
- now wrestle it out of there by pushing the window track out of the way *aggressively*!! You need to stretch everything and manhandle everything with authority :-) It will come out.
- Installation is the reverse...

Piece of cake, and my locks are working like a charm. BTW, I used the Dorman part from Rockauto, $97. Made in China but looks good. Let's see how it lasts!

Hope this helps !

Jump to top brad-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 01:20:20 AM   #83
Zeusbap

United States

Just another happy customer. Thanks for the write up, worked like a charm.

For the small Torx bolt, I used a 12-point 3/16" socket. Almost forgot it was reverse thread though!
Jump to top Zeusbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-12-2017, 01:32:38 AM   #84
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShroomTurkey View Post
Got my driver's side door lock actuator out this morning only to realize the part I bought to replace it back in January looks a little different where the outside handle wire attaches. Looks like there is no way to attach it. I think the seller I purchased from sent wrong part number or something.

Anyone know which model BMW this part belongs too so I can try to resell if he doesn't send me the right part?

Original part is on right side in both pics. 2002 M3
I am curious about this as well!

I need a new passenger door actuator. My passenger outside door handle does not open, due to the cord connecting it breaking at the actuator. I went to the junk yard to pull one, which was listed as the same (on RealOem) from a non-M e46...but like you are posting, found that the actuators were NOT the same. They must have changed them, because 3 days prior, a buddy pulled one from a non-M and it WAS the same actuator. He grabbed the driver side and I went back for the passenger side, but unfortunately that car had already left for the crusher and all the other 3-series E46 models, had different actuators to the one in that previous car or to my M3.

Mods: Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Supersprint LW Race Muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, .
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-19-2017, 01:13:10 PM   #85
CroVlado

United States

Any chance of re-hosting the pictures? Love diys and I think I may have this issue. Any help appreciated
Jump to top CroVlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-22-2018, 09:01:49 PM   #86
SATX_M3

In the garage:

United States

Passenger side actuator stopped working, so I read this thread and several similar ones from another site. I removed the lower 10mm from the window guide rail and loosened the top one. I didn't loosen or remove the E7 torqx through the window tray bracket. I have the female socket, but several posters said they didn't mess with the torx nut, and the window rail seems to go as far as possible against the support beam toward the outside of the door. Window is all the way up. I have the actuator almost out, but I just can't get it to swivel around the bracket.

Did y'all follow the YouTube video from the guy that pulled the bolt from his IAC to pull out the torx, and swivel the L shape of the actuator around the bracket? Do I have the actuator oriented the right way?

If I loosen or remove the torx nut, will it allow the window rail to move toward the front of the car?

I'm looking for suggestions, because I have already lost of chunk of flesh from one finger.

Guess I can't post pics, so here is a link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GN...tYpn-0v2aThgj5

Jump to top SATX_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote