BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 05:51:27 PM   #1
BMWSubaruVW

In the garage:

United States

Default Small Bang Noise When Under Load

Just picked up my 06 vert, manual from a local shop and had rear subframe reinforced. Also took care of all the bushings and put on some new camber arms as one was bent.

I spoke with the shop, they said to just bring it by and they will gladly take a look, but the shop is far from the house so will not get it there till I get back in town the end of next week. Have parked the car till I get back.

But was wondering if anyone has experienced this in the mean time.

It seems to occur when changing gears under load, but is not speed dependent. The sound can be reproduced at 20 or 80 mph.

For example, when driving in 4th at around 45mph around town. I am approaching a stop, downshift to 2nd or 3rd and upon the clutch engaging there is an audible small banging noise right before I feel the rear end engage. At first I thought it might be sonic, some sort of back pressure. But you can hear it and feel it when it happens. It seems to be coming from the passenger side rear.

Anyone else ever experience this type of condition?

Thanks,
Jump to top BMWSubaruVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 05:54:00 PM   #2
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Small Bang Noise When Under Load

Did this happen before the work was performed?

If not, its on the shop as it would appear they either left something loose, or not aligned properly.

Active Autowerke Stage 2.5-AA Headers-Supersprint-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-AC Schnitzer-BBS-CSL
6MT swapped-RTD shifter-Amber Gang
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 05:56:39 PM   #3
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSubaruVW View Post
Just picked up my 06 vert, manual from a local shop and had rear subframe reinforced. Also took care of all the bushings and put on some new camber arms as one was bent.

I spoke with the shop, they said to just bring it by and they will gladly take a look, but the shop is far from the house so will not get it there till I get back in town the end of next week. Have parked the car till I get back.

But was wondering if anyone has experienced this in the mean time.

It seems to occur when changing gears under load, but is not speed dependent. The sound can be reproduced at 20 or 80 mph.

For example, when driving in 4th at around 45mph around town. I am approaching a stop, downshift to 2nd or 3rd and upon the clutch engaging there is an audible small banging noise right before I feel the rear end engage. At first I thought it might be sonic, some sort of back pressure. But you can hear it and feel it when it happens. It seems to be coming from the passenger side rear.

Anyone else ever experience this type of condition?

Thanks,
Do you have an example video/audio? Could be many things, diff/bushing bolts, bad spring, halfshaft, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 06:15:27 PM   #4
BMWSubaruVW

In the garage:

United States

I don't have an example.... I should have pulled out my phone and hit record.

Oh yeah, not worried about the shop, already spoke with them and they have no issues looking into it as it was not happening before they performed the work. They are a reputable place, geography and time to get it up there is the only thing delaying them taking a look at it. They are 50 miles north of me.

It does seem like if I work the clutch very easy and gentle, I can shift without producing the noise. When the sound is felt, its not in the wheel or shifter, its defiantly coming from the rear of the vehicle and its felt more in your seat and body of the vehicle.

The new bushings are a little bit stiffer as they are Powerflex Polly, that is to be expected. But I don't think that would be the cause of the sound. Although, I am not a prof mechanic, just a garage hobby guy.

Last edited by BMWSubaruVW; Wed, Mar-28-2018 at 06:19:38 PM.
Jump to top BMWSubaruVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 06:18:49 PM   #5
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Flex Disc (Guibo) or center support bearing.

Typically feeling it in the floorboard near your seat, will be one of these.

Active Autowerke Stage 2.5-AA Headers-Supersprint-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-AC Schnitzer-BBS-CSL
6MT swapped-RTD shifter-Amber Gang
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 06:48:08 PM   #6
rovert604

Canada

If they removed the diff from the subframe they probably didnít torque the front diff bolt tight enough. It needs 143lbs of torque. I had that issue and once I got under to tighten, all was good.
Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 06:52:17 PM   #7
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert604 View Post
If they removed the diff from the subframe they probably didnít torque the front diff bolt tight enough. It needs 143lbs of torque. I had that issue and once I got under to tighten, all was good.
148, but yeah, it's hefty and should be double checked.

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Old Wed, Mar-28-2018, 06:55:25 PM   #8
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSubaruVW View Post
I don't have an example.... I should have pulled out my phone and hit record.

Oh yeah, not worried about the shop, already spoke with them and they have no issues looking into it as it was not happening before they performed the work. They are a reputable place, geography and time to get it up there is the only thing delaying them taking a look at it. They are 50 miles north of me.

It does seem like if I work the clutch very easy and gentle, I can shift without producing the noise. When the sound is felt, its not in the wheel or shifter, its defiantly coming from the rear of the vehicle and its felt more in your seat and body of the vehicle.

The new bushings are a little bit stiffer as they are Powerflex Polly, that is to be expected. But I don't think that would be the cause of the sound. Although, I am not a prof mechanic, just a garage hobby guy.
Is it only when downshifting and slowing down? A csb would bang under acceleration/load in 2nd/3rd. Csb is not super easy to visually check since it hides behind a heat shield. Guibo you can check. Both are relatively easy to check yourself on jackstands.