BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 06:14:41 AM   #1
props

United States

Default imola slicktop worth saving?

Hello all, I'm in quite a bind. Found an imola red slicktop for sale, which I presume is fairly rare...anyways, it has nearly 160k miles and is in need of some love (maintenance). Luckily the subframe has been reinforced, however the rod bearings have 130~k on them, it needs a power steering hose refresh, a new valve cover gasket, and a driveshaft CV joint. The car also needs a little body work (crack in paint, paint flakes on bumper, etc). The car has had many previous owners (8+), and has had two very minor accidents in its past. The seller is adamant on getting $11,500 for the car. Is it worth it? Or do I move on to something more expensive that is in need of less work.

Thanks everyone
Jump to top props is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 06:22:07 AM   #2
rbg

United States

Default Re: imola slicktop worth saving?

Depends on what you want. If you want a red slicktop and don't mind doing some maintenance just go for it. If you want to wait, search and pay some more for a cleaner nice example -- wait. If going with option one, just make sure you do a proper PPI to know everything you need to work on and how bad things are... oh, and of course try to negotiate the price even more as 8+ owners, 160k and two accidents is for sure a starting point for that negotiation even for the IR slicktop :-)
Jump to top rbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 06:29:21 AM   #3
props

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
Depends on what you want. If you want a red slicktop and don't mind doing some maintenance just go for it. If you want to wait, search and pay some more for a cleaner nice example -- wait. If going with option one, just make sure you do a proper PPI to know everything you need to work on and how bad things are... oh, and of course try to negotiate the price even more as 8+ owners, 160k and two accidents is for sure a starting point for that negotiation even for the IR slicktop :-)
I could give or take red, but I absolutely love slick tops. He recently purchased the car from a forum member here for $11.5k, so I presume that's why he's so "firm" on his price...although this decision would be incredibly easy if the car was a grand or so lower aha. Anyways, I agree in that a PPI is a must! Car is located in New Orleans so that makes things a little difficult (if anyone knows any good shops in New Orleans let me know haha.) Thanks for the quick response. It's much appreciated.
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 07:00:52 AM   #4
rbg

United States

If the car is from the forum, maybe you will find some more info here... people here are quite resourceful when it comes to digging up car histories
Jump to top rbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 07:01:20 AM   #5
liam821

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by props View Post
I could give or take red, but I absolutely love slick tops.
You can turn any m3 into a slicktop...doing a CF or full metal painted roof isn't too bad these days.
e70 xDrive35d Platinum Gray Metallic
Jump to top liam821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 07:25:42 AM   #6
props

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
If the car is from the forum, maybe you will find some more info here... people here are quite resourceful when it comes to digging up car histories
Definitely. I was lucky enough to get into touch with the previous owner on here, just to verify the current owner did in fact purchase the car for what he said he did. The car has a binder full of maintenance records, so luckily it hasnít been neglected (too much). Just needs some love I suppose.
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 07:28:31 AM   #7
props

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam821 View Post
You can turn any m3 into a slicktop...doing a CF or full metal painted roof isn't too bad these days.
I never thought of that, just figured it would be too expensive I guess. Definitely an option though.
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 02:30:13 PM   #8
the-git
void

In the garage:

I would be concerned that the cracks in the paint may mean there is mud underneath, and that may mean rust.
More history is needed.
Jump to top the-git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 02:48:36 PM   #9
props

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-git View Post
I would be concerned that the cracks in the paint may mean there is mud underneath, and that may mean rust.
More history is needed.
Oh wow, I didn’t think about that. It’s fairly small, attached are some pictures

https://imgur.com/gallery/W7qHP2B

Last edited by props; Thu, Jan-23-2020 at 02:54:44 PM.
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 06:18:22 PM   #10
oneswellfoop

In the garage:

United States

I guess you have to ask yourself why you want a slicktop. Weight savings? Just to have one? Collector value?

For weight savings or just to have one, buy another car (Slicktop or no. If not, you can install a slicktop.) unless seller will come off the price some. As for the collector value of having an original slicktop, find another car, this one has too many miles, too many owners, an accident history, and further paintwork needed that obviates any collector value that the car might have unless the e46 market just goes bonkers ten years down the road and what would normally go to the junkyard or be parted out becomes worth something.
Jump to top oneswellfoop is offline   Reply With Quote