BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jan-22-2020, 09:21:12 PM   #11
digger

United States

Default Re: VAC rod bearings 80 K miles review

for a long time I've had a sneaking suspicion that people with worn bearings weren't waiting for the oil to get to temp before beating on it. this goes a fair way to confirming that. With thick oil its just so much more critical. the bearings show who's been telling porkies

what did the plastigauge say when you installed them 80k ago?

Last edited by digger; Wed, Jan-22-2020 at 09:34:57 PM.
Jump to top digger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-22-2020, 09:48:35 PM   #12
Aeko

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Poor fuel is a huge contributor to bearing wear (91 octane states especially).
Because of detonation or something else?

If you wanna make REAL donuts, run Crisco in your diff.
Jump to top Aeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-22-2020, 09:49:15 PM   #13
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

I run mostly 93,sometimes 94.
@digger I agree. When I put an oil pressure gauge on and tested my oil pressure and vanos oil pressure at cold starts, it was terrifying to see how high the pressure goes up(as a result of a more viscous oil when cold) resulting in poor flow and high pressures. So I just never rev it before its all warmed up for fear of bearing wear and blown vanos oil lines, which can have 250 bars at 2.5k rpm when it's cold . It's only a 5 to 10 minute drive before its happy and I just give it the beans afterwards.

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk

PM for performance tune requests
Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-22-2020, 10:18:55 PM   #14
lemoose

United States

good to hear as I've been running these for over a year and was on the fence between VAC and WPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
I'd go with acl or bmw tbh

despite what I assume was a positive experience?
Jump to top lemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-22-2020, 10:32:53 PM   #15
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Between wpc and vac I'd choose vac. I'm not a fan of hardened surfaces on bearings. But I think the coating wasn't necessary on the vac's either. Stock bearings routinely live over 100k miles. Acl are a genuine upgrade at a lower cost so I went that way. But if you wanna spend the extra money on vac's coated bearings then why not if I knew those bearings were gonna look that good I would've kept them lol. They were in perfect like new condition. Too late now

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 12:11:13 AM   #16
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Between wpc and vac I'd choose vac. I'm not a fan of hardened surfaces on bearings. But I think the coating wasn't necessary on the vac's either. Stock bearings routinely live over 100k miles. Acl are a genuine upgrade at a lower cost so I went that way. But if you wanna spend the extra money on vac's coated bearings then why not if I knew those bearings were gonna look that good I would've kept them lol. They were in perfect like new condition. Too late now

Why not go VAC Calico coated since those still look brand new? Is it jist cause you'd replace them anyway?
Crazy though the condition of those. Seems the softer someone drives these the more issues they have, as if the car was designed for hard use.....
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 01:34:18 AM   #17
GeorgeH
BMW Fan

United States

Hassan, thanks for posting these findings, great data!

Instagram @ HillPerformanceBimmers
Email to George@HillPerformance.com
Jump to top GeorgeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 04:11:44 AM   #18
Syfon

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger View Post
for a long time I've had a sneaking suspicion that people with worn bearings weren't waiting for the oil to get to temp before beating on it. this goes a fair way to confirming that. With thick oil its just so much more critical. the bearings show who's been telling porkies

what did the plastigauge say when you installed them 80k ago?
I'm sure this is a massive issue with a lot of people who don't or didn't know about making sure the oil is warm enough before belting the piss out of it. But surely it can't be the one big mitigating factor to avoiding a spun bearing.

Every single time I drove (I say drove as my M3 has a spun bearing) my M3, I ALWAYS let the oil hit at least 75c before venturing above ~3k rpm. Oil changes were done every ~5,000km. Bearings were factory, and then at 93k km, she spun a bearing (****load of copper in the oil filter).

Engine/box are out of the car. Will pull of the sump and inspect bearings + crank journals when I get the time over the next month or so. I'll post some pic when I do it too...
Jump to top Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-23-2020, 05:39:41 AM   #19
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
Why not go VAC Calico coated since those still look brand new? Is it jist cause you'd replace them anyway?

Crazy though the condition of those. Seems the softer someone drives these the more issues they have, as if the car was designed for hard use.....
I like to try stuff so I'm trying the acls out this time . But I got the acls mainly as a cost saving measure and they sure look good on paper,so we'll see I guess. I sure would recommend vac to anyone now that I know. My short oci might have something to do with it too I guess. I also never drive it in the lower rpm range once it's up to temp. Just like you would drive a sport bike in the mid range of the rpms, always between 2500 to 4000 rpm where it feels happiest when I'm at part throttle, and I don't go wot under 4k too often either.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
385.7 whp 288 wtq

Last edited by HassanEido; Thu, Jan-23-2020 at 07:34:59 AM.
Old Fri, Jan-24-2020, 08:20:31 PM   #20

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I like to try stuff so I'm trying the acls out this time . But I got the acls mainly as a cost saving measure and they sure look good on paper,so we'll see I guess. I sure would recommend vac to anyone now that I know. My short oci might have something to do with it too I guess. I also never drive it in the lower rpm range once it's up to temp. Just like you would drive a sport bike in the mid range of the rpms, always between 2500 to 4000 rpm where it feels happiest when I'm at part throttle, and I don't go wot under 4k too often either.

I use to drive like this then I got this thing called a Hassan tune that gained me a bunch more low end power and I love to romp on it starting at 2k on up, its so addicting. After it’s fully up to temp of course

Engine: Karbonius CSL airbox, Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons & Carrillo rods, Kassel CSL DME & MAP conversion, 36lb injectors, Hassan tuned, APE Flex fuel kit, TMS Power Pulleys, SS V1 stepped headers & catless section 1, SS 2.5” twin-piped resonated section 2, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: DKM Stage 2 Clutch, E60 Shifter, RE trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, Revshift 80A diff bushings.
Suspension/Brakes: Ohlins 3DM “track day” kit, RE strut bar, AKG RSM's, UUC front sway bar, BW camber arms, TMS monoball RTABs, ZCP rotors, BW solid caliper guide bushings, PFC 08's, Motorsport Hardware stud kit.
Interior: Cobra Nogaro seats, alcantara headliner, BMW Performance pedals, OE alcantara boots, mason clutch pedal, Xtrons 9" headunit w/ carplay

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote