BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jan-19-2020, 02:57:08 PM   #1
M spec
Detailer

Austria

Default Fuel pump relay shorting out (grounding issue?)

After extensive head banging, I have found that somehow the fuel pump relay is shorting out (didnít blow the fuse in the front of the car)

My assumption is that thereís a bad ground somewhere, that or somehow the pump is all of a sudden drawing too much power? But Iíd assume if that happened the fuse would blow.

Iím at a loss of where the grounds would even be. Could other systems grounds be affecting it? Say the alarm systems?

When I had the CSL roof down there were a few grounds that didnít look like they were installed back in the rear c pillar. I guess I should start there.

However wondering if anyone has any insight or suggestions as to why Iíve blown through 4 relays in 48hrs
Jump to top M spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Jan-19-2020, 04:21:40 PM   #2
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

I believe the relay ground is under the rear deck right near the relay.

Thereís 2 wires that run to the relay. One to the fuse box and one to the DME box. If you plug another relay in and the relay goes bad, Iíd suspect that the issue is between the relay and the fuel pump. Might be a pinched wire somewhere? Or maybe the fuel pump is shorted out. Or the pump is causing an overload (impellers jammed up with debris?) which burns up the relay.

Iíd resistance test the ground wires and then resistance test the positive wire between the fuel pump and relay. If both are good, Iíd think it points to a bad pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-19-2020, 05:10:22 PM   #3
M spec
Detailer

Austria

Default Re: Fuel pump relay shorting out (grounding issue?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I believe the relay ground is under the rear deck right near the relay.

Thereís 2 wires that run to the relay. One to the fuse box and one to the DME box. If you plug another relay in and the relay goes bad, Iíd suspect that the issue is between the relay and the fuel pump. Might be a pinched wire somewhere? Or maybe the fuel pump is shorted out. Or the pump is causing an overload (impellers jammed up with debris?) which burns up the relay.

Iíd resistance test the ground wires and then resistance test the positive wire between the fuel pump and relay. If both are good, Iíd think it points to a bad pump.

Appreciate the post. I think Iím going to pull this pump, for the 9th time in the last 6 months.

Not sure the Radium engineering kit is all that great
Old Sun, Jan-19-2020, 07:28:44 PM   #4
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Another thing to look at is the ignition coil ground on passenger side of engine. If that is not grounded properly it will back feed and kill fuel pump relay.

#67 2019 NASA National TT3 Champion; 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS 2W NR, Hyperco 700F 800R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-20-2020, 02:54:44 AM   #5
sapote

United States

A bad (shorted to ground) pump should cause fuse blown instead of fried relay. Same with a pinched wire from relay to pump.

This is a semiconductor relay and a bad ground on the relay can fry it. Just measure the ground pin to chassis to check.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-20-2020, 02:55:23 AM   #6
sapote

United States

A bad (shorted to ground) pump should cause fuse blown instead of fried relay. Same with a pinched wire from relay to pump.

This is a semiconductor relay and a bad ground on the relay can fry it. Just measure the ground pin to chassis to check.
Old Mon, Jan-20-2020, 04:41:10 PM   #7
M spec
Detailer

Austria

Okay new update..

Went to my local dealer 100 miles away. Bought 4 new relays, swapped in a fresh one. Drove around PHX and then back home 100 miles. Probably started and turned the car back on 3 times?

Yesterday morning went to a start the car and nothing. Dead. Replaced with a new relay. Nothing. Checked grounds. All tight. No clue how to check for a pinched wire.. but from what I can see the wires look fine. 5 hours later I tried again to start the car. Turns right over..

I then had an idea to swap in one of the ďold relaysĒ fired right up.. Iím at a loss. And I feel ****ed. Iíve spent about 3-4hrs in diagnostics. And you have to drive it around too recreate the stalling. A shop will insist on doing the checks Iíve done (as they should IMO) and still be where Iím at. This might be the one time I wish I hadnít DIYíd and taken the car to a great shop.

Going to try to get the pump warrantied. Thatís the last piece that would make sense.

Last edited by M spec; Mon, Jan-20-2020 at 05:10:55 PM.
Old Mon, Jan-20-2020, 07:29:56 PM   #8
sapote

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
Yesterday morning went to a start the car and nothing. Dead. Replaced with a new relay. Nothing. Checked grounds. All tight. No clue how to check for a pinched wire.. but from what I can see the wires look fine. 5 hours later I tried again to start the car. Turns right over..
Don't panic -- it is an easy to find out which part is the root cause. I don't think relay is the problem.

The relay 9-pin connector: whenever the problem happens, measure voltage at pin2 which should be 12V when pump suppose to run. If not 12V then measure the relay control input at pin4 which I think should be 0V when active and higher voltage when not active (you can verify this when engine is running). Also measure pin6 and pin8 which should have 12V with key turned on.

If pin2 has 12v and pump not running then either a bad pump or the wire between pin2 and pump is open or bad connection. Use a light bulb connect to pin2 and ground and if the light turns on then relay is good. Then check the switched voltage at the pump. If it's 12v then bad pump. If not 12v then wire has bad connection.

Last edited by sapote; Mon, Jan-20-2020 at 07:33:51 PM.
Old Wed, Jan-22-2020, 06:28:50 PM   #9
cozmo kraemer

United States

I had a similar, very funky and erratic, problem that I thought was relay related when I had an aftermarket pump. I went back to the OE pump.... Never an issue since. And never had to mess with the relays again.
2004 E46M3 - Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, TTFS tune, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91

2016 - 340i Msport, MPPSK, and track handling package

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-22-2020, 06:40:50 PM   #10
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

YA I was gonna say earlier, $20 you pop an OE pump in, even a used one, and all problems will go away.

/// 2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT slicktop zero options ~3100lbs JOURNAL
Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CF CSL Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 2.5" sect 1 OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pulleys/fan delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6 + GroundControl/Eibach 325/550lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway F & R strut bars TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB OE weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR

OE CSL trunk Cobra Nogaros + BK + manual OE bases TMS black pedals Sportline 8S 18"x 8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 345mm CSL + Textar & 328mm CSL + ATE ZHP "712" rack

DD: 2012 TiAg/Blk 128i N52 ULEV Slicktop 6MT manual heated seats
Eibach springs & sways Koni STR.T Whiteline SF bushes Dinan camber plates M3 FCAs
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote