BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Marketplace > Parts for Sale/Wanted
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Parts for Sale/Wanted Post your Parts Wanted, and non commercial bmw related items for sale. We ask that companies selling goods become a Sponsor to advertise your goods.

Old Thu, Jan-16-2020, 07:58:06 PM   #1
rrt adam

United States

Default Ohlins Dedicated Suspension Kit E46 M3

SOLD!!!!

For sale is the prototype kit developed in partnership between Ohlins USA and 3DM Motorsport. This kit was designed for cars primarily used at the track, however it can still be driven on the street. The kit was developed, tested on my car as the test vehicle. Here is the video of the car and suspension being tested on the shaker rig at Ohlins:

The dampers and springs have a total of three track weekends of use plus under 50 street miles since new (i.e., they are essentially new). The kit is the first Ohlins Dedicated kit in the World. More information on the dedicated track kit can be found here:

Dedicated Kit Description

Please note the camber plates and the rear upper shock mounts are pre-production versions and therefore are red instead of yellow. The camber plates were the ones previously on the car, but are still the same the ones used in the Dedicated Kit and are in great shape.

The kit is for sale for $2900 which is $850 below retail. The kit is located in NoVA, but shipping can be arranged. I have been a passionate Ohlins customer for over 15 years using their shocks on all of my race and track cars. I am only selling because I am upgrading to the Ohlins Motorsports TTX shocks for this M3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DedicatedKit2.jpg (466.2 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by rrt adam; Fri, Jan-31-2020 at 06:54:21 PM. Reason: Items sold
Rate Seller View Rating
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-16-2020, 08:26:55 PM   #2
liam821

United States

Default Re: Ohlins Dedicated Suspension Kit E46 M3

So cool to see the suspension working on that machine. And if anybody asks, the link OP had lists the spring rates but for the lazy:

Front: 700 lbs/in / 12.5kg/mm
Rear: 900 lbs/in / 16kg/mm
e70 xDrive35d Platinum Gray Metallic
Jump to top liam821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-16-2020, 09:15:49 PM   #3
bmwahba39

United States

This is a great setup and Barry @ 3DM Motorsport is a very stand-up gentleman. Buy with confidence! GLWS!

Jump to top bmwahba39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-17-2020, 10:55:04 AM   #4
fullyflaredd
self proclaimed idiot

In the garage:

United States

Couldn't tell from the link, but are these rebound and compression adjustable?
Old Fri, Jan-17-2020, 10:11:04 PM   #5
rrt adam

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullyflaredd View Post
Couldn't tell from the link, but are these rebound and compression adjustable?
There is a single knob for adjustment that primarily adjust rebound and slightly adjusts compression. To me this is a feature. One variable for adjustments and these are real adjustments. We never move more than two clicks at a time when we are setting up a car. Other manufacturers have more knobs that are far less effective in dialing in a set up (i.e., smaller range of adjustment) and often lead you down a tuning rabbit hole.

This might be helpful too:

http://info.3dmmotorsport.com/bmw-e4...s-buyers-guide

Last edited by rrt adam; Sat, Jan-18-2020 at 04:36:25 PM.
Jump to top rrt adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-18-2020, 12:28:28 PM   #6
last/M/left

United States

With the spring rates so high wouldn't it be a harsh ride on the streets? could one purchase different springs with lower rates?
Jump to top last/M/left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-18-2020, 04:32:49 PM   #7
rrt adam

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by last/M/left View Post
With the spring rates so high wouldn't it be a harsh ride on the streets? could one purchase different springs with lower rates?
To be honest they are not too bad, but the point of the kit is that it is for a car that spends more time on the track than the street. You can change the springs, but that defeats the research and testing that has gone into aligning the damper valving and spring rate for on-track performance. What we do is soften up the dampers for the streets and it is a reasonable ride.
Old Sun, Jan-19-2020, 12:58:46 AM   #8
DvSkD4

In the garage:

United States

Quick question: I see a note on the "dedicated track" kit page that says "this kit has been developed to work with 18x9.5" wheels with a 35mm offset and 275/35/18 R Compound tires". I don't see that same note on the "trackday" kit, does that one require the use of spacers?
Jump to top DvSkD4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-19-2020, 03:49:13 AM   #9
rrt adam

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvSkD4 View Post
Quick question: I see a note on the "dedicated track" kit page that says "this kit has been developed to work with 18x9.5" wheels with a 35mm offset and 275/35/18 R Compound tires". I don't see that same note on the "trackday" kit, does that one require the use of spacers?
I believe that comment might be to share the exact set up that was used for testing so others have a point of reference. That said, I run a 5mm spacer in the rear with the Dedicated Kit to fit the 275s (but that spacer requirement is a result of stock hub and wheelwell configuration and not related to the shock/spring). My guess is that the Trackday kit might require the same spacer if you run a similar width tire, but I would recommend giving Barry at 3DM a call to be sure.
Old Sun, Jan-19-2020, 06:00:25 PM   #10
DvSkD4

In the garage:

United States

Ok thanks I run a 10mm spacer in the rear, was wondering more if Id still need to run a 5mm in the front like I do with my current coilover setup. Not a huge deal just figured Id ask ... looks like an awesome kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top DvSkD4 is offline   Reply With Quote