BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 09:45:15 PM   #1
MojaBmka

United States

Default Why won't my E46 M3 sell?

Link to the car is below:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/c...051060034.html

All details to the car are in the ad. I understand it has a rebuilt title, I bought it 3 years ago knowing so. The way the car was fixed didn't bother me and I felt for 20k with the mileage and mod list it was worth the money. Are people just this scared of rebuilt title vechicles? This is my 5th rebuilt title M3 and I have never had any issues with them. I also get them inspected and for this one I even have the body work reciept from 2007. Any inputs/suggestions would be helpful.
Jump to top MojaBmka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 09:52:31 PM   #2
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Why won't my E46 M3 sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaBmka View Post
Link to the car is below:
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/c...051060034.html

All details to the car are in the ad. I understand it has a rebuilt title, I bought it 3 years ago knowing so. The way the car was fixed didn't bother me and I felt for 20k with the mileage and mod list it was worth the money. Are people just this scared of rebuilt title vechicles? This is my 5th rebuilt title M3 and I have never had any issues with them. I also get them inspected and for this one I even have the body work reciept from 2007. Any inputs/suggestions would be helpful.
Says you posted the ad eight days ago? Is this like the third or fourth iteration of the ad?

Your pics are not particularly good. See this as a much better example

IMO black is a little slower to sell than some other colors plus has a rebuilt title.

2003 M3 Convertible SMG w/Hardtop | GC Coilovers and Camber Plates | ESS VT1-475 Gen 3 Supercharger | Stoptech Brakes
Apex ARC-8 19" Hypersilver | CSL SMG (and 255) Tune | RE Diablo Exhaust w/ SS Tips | RE Rasp Pipe | SMG Relocation
Redish Reinforcement Plates | Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushings | Polyurethane Differential Bushings | Beisan Oil Pump Disk
Storm Motorwerks SMG Paddles | Two Tone Black/Grey Interior | Alcantara E-brake Boot
Very Recent Maintenance: FCABs | FCAs | RTABs | Motor Mounts | PS Hoses | Inner/Outer Tie Rods | End Links | Vanos Solenoid |
Driveshaft R&R | Flex Disc | Fan Clutch | Trans Fluid | Diff fluid

Last edited by oceansize; Tue, Jan-14-2020 at 09:55:20 PM. Reason: words
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 09:53:59 PM   #3
lcrain

United States

I personally will never consider a car with a rebuilt title. I don't care how well it was repaired, the problem is exactly why you are posting this thread. Pain in the ass to sell. $17.5k can get you a nice e46 m3 with a clean title, maybe a few more miles.

The modifications are not worth anything at all, hate to tell you. If you have the stock parts or access to some, part out the modifications and sell it stock.
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 10:04:28 PM   #4
forzanerazzurri

In the garage:

For me personally its the rebuilt title, the rims and the list of mods. The more stock the car, the more desirable.
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 10:11:58 PM   #5
Aeko

In the garage:

United States

If you were asking 13 or 14 for the mileage + title it would sell. Definitely title status is killing you on that.

If you wanna make REAL donuts, run Crisco in your diff.
Jump to top Aeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 10:20:50 PM   #6
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

In the title alone, my thought was "wow, an e46 m3 up in the rust belt for the same price I got mine for", price is firm? Ok bye.

The next major issue is that a rebuilt title and $4k in repairs doesn't add up. Even if I were cool with a rebuilt title, that discrepancy says either the estimate was bogus or some aspect was cheaped out. You either need to drop the price or go the extra mile to show that repair is 100% pristine.

Beyond that, note that modifications for modification's sake DO NOT sell cars. You want people to say "sweet, that's exactly what I would have done" and not "oh god, I bet this guy cheaped out on everything and just focused on the looks"
You want your car to show like this - simple, tasteful mods and hardly looks driven.
With that in mind, remove
- Smoked lights/ painted reflectors (am I going to be pulled over the second I start driving?)
- Rear roof spoiler
- Spacers
- Angel Eyes/ lights (just take a picture with them on)
- K&N Filter (essentially tells everyone they'll need to factor in a new MAF and air filter with the purchase)
- CDV Delete (non-e46 people will probably get freaked out)

Remove your coding stuff - all that says is "someone screwed with the electronics and it probably has gremlins"

Instead, ADD
- Pictures of the chassis, underbody, and engine bay
- Maintenance details (what e46 flaws have been addressed? records?)
- Interior pictures, notably including the cluster powered up (no tamper light) and what "newer navigation" you installed
- If you still have the stock rims, re-take your photos with stock wheels
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 10:23:52 PM   #7
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I personally will never consider a car with a rebuilt title. I don't care how well it was repaired, the problem is exactly why you are posting this thread. Pain in the ass to sell. $17.5k can get you a nice e46 m3 with a clean title, maybe a few more miles.

The modifications are not worth anything at all, hate to tell you. If you have the stock parts or access to some, part out the modifications and sell it stock.
I find it funny when people say mods dont matter, good ones do but buyers say otherwise to "negotiate" (see 90k lsb m3 ...). None the less, your problem is the title. No financing available which deters most people and few people want to deal with it (rightfully so). Rarely is a rebuilt title worth it.
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 10:32:12 PM   #8
EnVe46

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
I find it funny when people say mods dont matter, good ones do but buyers say otherwise to "negotiate" (see 90k lsb m3 ...). None the less, your problem is the title. No financing available which deters most people and few people want to deal with it (rightfully so). Rarely is a rebuilt title worth it.

There are quite a few options for financing rebuilt titles these days. However, his price point is to high. Rebuilt titles, for the most part, depending on why it was totaled or the severity, do not scare me but the better be at a price that makes it worth it.

Also, a key part youíre missing in the E46 M3 crowd, generally speaking, miles is a factor but most buyers want to see a well sorted, routine maintenance completed, known weaknesses addressed more so than a low(er) mileage one that needs $10k of work to get it to an enthusiast level. Add the modifications on top of it, this car isnít going to be appealing to the crowd youíre attracting. This is a sub $12-13k car. Part it out, return to a more stock level and drop it to a more reasonable price point.
Jump to top EnVe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 10:45:18 PM   #9
oneswellfoop

In the garage:

United States

With mods, I might consider up to 11k or so but not more, and that's assuming a thorough inspection, because there's no way in hell there wasn't significant structural damage to total that car in 2007. The car isn't to my taste but, regardless of mileage, I wouldn't buy a salvage title car. You might get me to consider a salvage title vehicle as a daily driver (and I wouldn't DD a car this old anyway.) if you had significant documentation of the damage to the vehicle, specifically just post accident, prior to repair, with any panels removed so that internal damage could be extensively documented, and detailed documentation of all repairs done. The e46 M3 market at your price point is oriented towards collectors cars/vehicles that you can drive 5k miles a year and have them retain their value. The salvage title kills that market deader than a doornail.

This car has no value as anything other than a DD or a track car. As said above, you can buy a car without a salvage title in a desireable configuration for your price or a little more. Your mods don't add value for me (except the CSL stuff but, even then, I'd want to know who built the CSL trunk and have the stock parts included in the deal) they just tell me that you drove the car hard, fiddled with a bunch of stuff, and put a bunch of non-OEM or OEM+ stuff on there.

Consider removing the CSL parts and selling those separately, putting the stock trunk and diffuser back on, and adjusting your price downwards.

Also, as another user mentioned, you need better photos. One of the first things people see in your pics is pics in the rain. People only take pics of a car for sale in the rain when they're trying to hide paint issues.

Last edited by oneswellfoop; Wed, Jan-15-2020 at 06:33:22 PM.
Jump to top oneswellfoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-14-2020, 10:50:41 PM   #10
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

Those modifications aren't appealing and the title status is an issue-- repair must've been much more than $4k to total a car, as my $9k E36 M3/4/5 had a $4k body shop bill and kept its clean title. That needs more explaining in the ad, in my view.

Modification value is heavily buyer dependent, but cosmetic mods (wheels, lights, cheapo coils) devalue a car in my view. Track focused mods or OE+ mods are a different story.....sometimes. Very very buyer specific.

The ad comes off as overpriced project car (coding section, mods) with issues (rebuilt title). Not driveable nice low mileage car. I suggest rewriting and also explaining why a quarter panel totaled the car for $4k.

I do appreciate putting the title status in the ad. Downside is, unless it'll be cut up for a track car, I would not touch a rebuilt title car, and nobody is cutting up $20k E46s for track use.

Finally.... ad typos (Continental!) and no mention of non-smoker/vaper status? Only quicker way to devalue a car than a rebuilt title is a smoker's car. There's no fixing that-- I'd assume it's been smoked in if it doesn't say otherwise.

Last edited by Bimmerman325i; Tue, Jan-14-2020 at 11:00:42 PM.
Jump to top Bimmerman325i is offline   Reply With Quote