BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Closed Thread

Old Fri, Jan-10-2020, 11:02:42 PM   #11
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Default PSA: know what you're getting into before buying a CSL style intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo kraemer View Post
Mine passes the OBD readiness check for AZ emissions with an HP DME Converted to CSL software and a TTFS tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Q: Will I pass smog?

A: No

Thanks for this thread , itís perfect timing since Iím on the fence trying to decide to pull the trigger on the Turner CSL Intake GB.

The Smog issue is a major reason Iím leaning towards not getting one. Arizona is less of a hassle than Cali and NV. They do a visual as well here now.
I canít even tell you what I deal with getting my 2500HD to pass Smog.

If it failed smog after installing it then what??

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; Fri, Jan-10-2020 at 11:41:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-10-2020, 11:05:22 PM   #12
usdmej

United States

Default Re: PSA: know what you're getting into before buying a CSL style intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M3 View Post
Show me on the doll what the CSL airbox did to you...

Old Fri, Jan-10-2020, 11:28:55 PM   #13
cozmo kraemer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Smog in CA is also a visual check which this obviously fails.

When they scanned your car, which monitors were ready vs not ready?
Everything that they check showed ready, so all emissions related components. I live in CA, but keep my M3 registered in AZ because I still own property there. CA you would need to 'know someone.'

That being said, a lot of people have had trouble with the OBD on the CSL software interfacing with emissions checks through OBD. Mine has worked the past 2 times. I have had the CSL intake for 4 years, so I have gone through 2 emissions checks. I am currently due to do it again.

The funny part of my CSL software is when it talks to ISTA on Andrew Lang's computer, it outputs only in German. Kinda odd.
2004 E46M3 - Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, TTFS tune, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91

2016 - 340i Msport, MPPSK, and track handling package

My Journal
Old Fri, Jan-10-2020, 11:57:20 PM   #14
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo kraemer View Post

The funny part of my CSL software is when it talks to ISTA on Andrew Lang's computer, it outputs only in German. Kinda odd.
Not just Andrew Langís. Seems like bmw just never made English scripts for the CSL. Probably wouldnít be that hard to translate... except I have no idea how the ista / dis scripts are formatted.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 12:07:53 AM   #15
11b4

United States

This thread is perfect timing. I been on the fence for awhile. But the nobody mentions the additional costs just as alpha-n, parts ect. I'm happy with my eventuri intake but I want that csl roar. Want vs need

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 12:27:38 AM   #16
Bimmerman325i
Beardface McMountainMan

United States

FYI, depending on how you do the OE MAP conversion (eg, properly de-pinning instead of janky splicing) you can simply remove the CSL airbox and run the OE airbox with the MAF sensor 'plugged in', leaving the MAP actually plugged in. It runs just fine for smog visual, and takes approx 10 minutes to remove/reinstall the airbox. Aftermarket MAP is a lot more obvious than OE MAP. I zip-tie the IAT under the airbox when doing this; it works well enough to get to the smog shop and be tested and to not have to rewire anything.

That does NOT fix the issues with getting CSL software to be read by the OBD scanners at smog shops, but DOES fix the visual issue.

Another perk about CSL software is it is MUCH easier to get the monitors to set. Downside, again, being it doesn't talk to smog shops consistently.

Point being: physical smog compliance is a cakewalk with the CSL airbox if you have sufficient skills to change your oil yourself. Software compliance is a total crapshoot. Smogging headers is orders of magnitude more PITA than the airbox IME.

Last edited by Bimmerman325i; Sat, Jan-11-2020 at 12:30:50 AM.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 12:27:45 AM   #17
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

This is a good reality check thread. I posted this in the group buy, but worth reposting here. Gives a decent cost breakdown:

Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 12:29:34 AM   #18
ATB88

United States

One good point I think that usdmej is trying to make is that beyond getting the box physically installed with all the sensors and bits and flashing a CSL tune to your DME, your car may, for any number of reasons, not run perfectly with it, even with a custom tune. This could be due to any number of small problems one's car might have that are imperceptable in a stock airbox set up but could be exacerbated by the CSL airbox setup and/or the accompanying tune. If that happens, it might be hard to get a tuner or shop to work with you with enough patience and willingness to troubleshoot and figure out what the problem is and get your car to run right. Not everyone will run into problems like this, but I think he's trying to indicate that past threads show that people have, moreso than with, say, exhaust mods, and in those cases it can be a headache.

This isn't an unreasonable concern, but, to me, it comes with the territory of modding and I'm going to (possibly unreasonably) great lengths to make sure that my car is running perfectly and it has no small gremlins before I do any modding/tuning. Everyone's experience will vary here.
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 12:29:57 AM   #19
Paulo M

United States

$3100 is actually not bad for a Karbonius cf csl intake w/ hardware. Good and helpful thread!
Old Sat, Jan-11-2020, 12:45:04 AM   #20
Actuary

In the garage:

United States

A lot of valuable information here. The CSL airbox and tune were the best mods i've ever done, but also introduced the biggest headaches for me. For emissions and readiness to show up for me, i had to get a non-csl DME and had to remove the snorkel. The snorkel really limited airflow and kept stalling the car. Now that i'm moving to CA, I need to figure out what to do.

The best mods i'd recommend for someone are cams, dinan throttle bodies, and 3.91 diff.

2004 BMW M3 Silver Gray | Karbonius CSL airbox| Schrick 280/272| Dinan Throttle Bodies | Full Supersprint exhaust with V1 stepped headers | KW Clubsports |CSL Swaybars and kingpins | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade | Vorsteiner CSL front bumper, trunk and diffuser | ZCP wheels for street and Apex EC-7 Wheels for track|

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV Purple | Stock |

1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo SMZ edition Red | Stock |
Closed Thread