BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, May-07-2018, 05:02:42 PM   #31
KhanArt
CLEAN & SIMPLE

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Shout out to Mister Em

Ehh, Mike's okay..
Jump to top KhanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-30-2018, 08:57:30 PM   #32
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Talking Re: Shout out to Mister Em

All,

Another satisfied customer of MisterEm. I bought his stage 2 VANOS rebuild along the cryo-treated exhaust hubs and Beisan chain guide. This journey all started when I started leaking oil badly on track, luckily I was able to top it up between runs and just take it easier than I would normally. The leak seemed to be coming from chain tensioner, I pulled it out and felt inside and things did not feel right. So off came the valve cover and of course the guide was broken.

I actually found a post by Mike on a different forum and reached out. The VANOS was factory original on my 2001 and the PO only did the solenoid O-rings. I had a feeling I was leaving some power on the table. So an oil leak turned into some serious top end work and I am definitely glad I went with Mike for this.

This was my *very* first time working on an open car engine. My only prior experience was with small lawn tractor engines where timing stays put. I had been studying the various DIYs and HOWTOs online for weeks before deciding to take the plunge.

Mike was engaged and supportive throughout the whole process. At his recommendation I shimmed the valves to .008" intake and .010" exhaust. I removed vanos, sprockets, replaced cam bolts, replaced chain guide, replaced exhaust hub, and buttoned everything back up. I think the total end to end process was 5 weeks for me working on it almost every night and learning a f***ton from Mike along the way. I was asking probably stupid questions and he was being super supportive and really gave me confidence that I wasn't totally ****ing it up.

I had two major struggles when doing all this work. I was over-retarding the cam by putting too much torque on the wrench. I think I tried the re-timing procedure 11 times, completely removing the VANOS twice in those 11 times just to see where I may have went wrong. Once I realized my mistake and I got everything timed perfectly with the tool. I was re-attaching the vanos oil line bracket, had my torque wrench set incorrectly and stripped some serious threads off the head. Luckily I tried a (hopefully) decent solution that did not require re-tapping the VANOS-to-head threads: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=600363. Both of these issues I relied on Mike heavily to work through it with me, either through text or I would shoot videos and send them to him for diagnosis.

Then after everything was buttoned up I had a strange noise that terrified me (http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=600453). At the end of the day it was just a heat shield rattle. But it sure was not a nice noise to hear after starting engine up after timing/VANOS work.

If you are considering doing any major work on your S54 I would give a serious look to MisterEm. He will make sure you do it right even if you are a total n00b like me.
Jump to top eacmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-30-2018, 11:43:03 PM   #33
MisterEm

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanArt View Post
Ehh, Mike's okay..
Thanks, Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacmen View Post
All,

Another satisfied customer of MisterEm. I bought his stage 2 VANOS rebuild along the cryo-treated exhaust hubs and Beisan chain guide. This journey all started when I started leaking oil badly on track, luckily I was able to top it up between runs and just take it easier than I would normally. The leak seemed to be coming from chain tensioner, I pulled it out and felt inside and things did not feel right. So off came the valve cover and of course the guide was broken.

I actually found a post by Mike on a different forum and reached out. The VANOS was factory original on my 2001 and the PO only did the solenoid O-rings. I had a feeling I was leaving some power on the table. So an oil leak turned into some serious top end work and I am definitely glad I went with Mike for this.

This was my *very* first time working on an open car engine. My only prior experience was with small lawn tractor engines where timing stays put. I had been studying the various DIYs and HOWTOs online for weeks before deciding to take the plunge.

Mike was engaged and supportive throughout the whole process. At his recommendation I shimmed the valves to .008" intake and .010" exhaust. I removed vanos, sprockets, replaced cam bolts, replaced chain guide, replaced exhaust hub, and buttoned everything back up. I think the total end to end process was 5 weeks for me working on it almost every night and learning a f***ton from Mike along the way. I was asking probably stupid questions and he was being super supportive and really gave me confidence that I wasn't totally ****ing it up.

I had two major struggles when doing all this work. I was over-retarding the cam by putting too much torque on the wrench. I think I tried the re-timing procedure 11 times, completely removing the VANOS twice in those 11 times just to see where I may have went wrong. Once I realized my mistake and I got everything timed perfectly with the tool. I was re-attaching the vanos oil line bracket, had my torque wrench set incorrectly and stripped some serious threads off the head. Luckily I tried a (hopefully) decent solution that did not require re-tapping the VANOS-to-head threads: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=600363. Both of these issues I relied on Mike heavily to work through it with me, either through text or I would shoot videos and send them to him for diagnosis.

Then after everything was buttoned up I had a strange noise that terrified me (http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=600453). At the end of the day it was just a heat shield rattle. But it sure was not a nice noise to hear after starting engine up after timing/VANOS work.

If you are considering doing any major work on your S54 I would give a serious look to MisterEm. He will make sure you do it right even if you are a total n00b like me.
Glad your timing is sorted, let's get your brake pedal back now.
Old Tue, Jul-31-2018, 01:17:12 AM   #34
spnsprt

In the garage:

United States

I just read through this thread and still can't get over the glued back together bolt. So insane.
Jump to top spnsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-31-2018, 01:20:03 AM   #35
eacmen

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnsprt View Post
I just read through this thread and still can't get over the glued back together bolt. So insane.
Whoever did it probably got the idea from a Honda forum.
Jump to top eacmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-02-2018, 09:51:29 PM   #36
cobimmerxi

United States

I gotta make a shout out to Mike as well. As a local i am so thankful for someone in the area who is as knowledgable as he and so willing to help out other enthusiasts. I recently went to do a valve adjust and normal maintenance on my M3 and found the cam pulley tab broken. He recommended and helped me with all the correct parts to improve and fix the issues. My car has never felt so strong.

Mike is truely a stand up guy and true enthusiast!
Jump to top cobimmerxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-02-2018, 10:18:18 PM   #37
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

I wish he had the time to be more active on here. He is a wealth of knowledge that we could all benefit from. Super standup guy. Hell, I just enjoy chatting with him. Always learning something new from him.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2, HTE Tuning Group-Buy OE CSL Wheel
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-03-2018, 09:15:25 PM   #38
PerkM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEm View Post

Thanks, Brad. Can't wait to swap keys with your beast!
Hope you can wait till 2020
Old Tue, Sep-18-2018, 02:05:01 AM   #39
MisterEm

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
Hope you can wait till 2020
What's another decade. My build took triple the dough and double the time I budgeted in 2009.
Old Thu, Sep-20-2018, 04:05:58 AM   #40
Olive4ce

In the garage:

United States

I was referred to Mike by a mutual friend that just had his Vanos done due to a broken exhaust hub. I like to stay on top of maintenance to avoid bigger bills down the road and seeing as I bought my '04 M3 used, I felt it would be prudent to start looking into doing my Vanos as well. I have seen plenty of broken exhaust tabs to make me want to do some preventive maintenance... and some improvements while I was there (anti-rattle). I am an Aircraft Mechanic and Avionics Tech so I know how to handle a wrench, but seeing as it was my first time doing timing on something that didn't have a mag I wanted to be absolutely sure I was as informed as possible prior to attacking the job. I was told that he knew his stuff when it came to this car and I was not disappointed. He is always willing to answer your questions and help guide you along the way. His tips definitely helped me get it done right the first time.

I haven't seen his setup personally, but I have been told that he has all the right equipment to rebuild Vanos units and judging by the one he rebuilt for me I would say he definitely does. I would recommend using him if you need any Vanos work done.

Mike, thanks for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180916_221211.jpg (715.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20180917_111022.jpg (612.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20180917_115732.jpg (216.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 20180917_185348.jpg (377.1 KB, 59 views)
Jump to top Olive4ce is offline   Reply With Quote