BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Fri, May-29-2009, 06:33:50 PM   #21
///Marini

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWerkz View Post
Blue masking tape should work.
Thanks! I was thinking this but I wasn't sure if it would be enough for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrvrsy View Post
Car looks good, love the drop . As for the SMG, it automatically blips the throttle when you downshift... but I noticed that it seems the amount it blips it depends on speed and rpms. If I go into a turn on the slow side, it gives a soft blip but if I go into that same turn more spirited, it gives a nice bark
Thanks! I'm pretty sure the SMG (at least mine) doesn't blip automatically. If I just downshift, then all it does is swap the gears, no rev-matching. I have to give it a little throttle to bring up the revs. I've found multiple threads that have said that this is normal and that you have to blip yourself.. so maybe you have some weird but awesome software in yours or you're downshifting with your foot on the throttle.

I usually downshift with my foot on the throttle but theres obviously times where you can't. For instance, you're rolling up to a red light in 3rd, revs dip below 2k, light turns green but the car in front of you hasn't started going just yet. So you want to slow down so you don't hit the car and you want to downshift so you don't lug the engine when you need to accelerate from the roll. This is very awkward in SMG if you don't like to downshift w/out a rev-match because you don't have the option of the clutch pedal (which gives a wide variety of solutions to this). So you need to brake and blip simultaneously... Also this would be an essential skill for fast cornering on the track

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
Jump to top ///Marini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-29-2009, 08:38:45 PM   #22
xxxotiknightz
C-130 Crew Dog

United States

+1 on the blue masking tape. If you have a garage, do it one night and let it sit over night.
Jump to top xxxotiknightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-31-2009, 02:48:38 AM   #23
///Marini

In the garage:

United States

MAY 30, 2009: DOOR TRIM FIXED

So, yesterday I decided to fix the door trim. Using gorilla glue on the grove in the weather stripping I was able to get the trim to stick back in place. Getting everything to line up straight was a bit of a pain but the worst part was holding it all in place for an hour while the glue settled enough to keep the trim from popping right off. After holding it for an hour, I taped everything really tight in place with blue painter's tape and let it sit almost a full 24 hours before removing. Here's some pics from the process:

I'm really happy with the results, looks just like OEM again!! Thanks for the advice guys

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
Old Sun, May-31-2009, 04:06:43 AM   #24
JeST
Old School

China

Congrats on your M. This does the trick also without having to hold it in place for more then 15 minutes.

https://youtu.be/58MlI21LoGM

Gone:
'03 AW/Cinn e46 M3
'08 DTM B7 S4
'87 Mtech 1 S50 e30
'88 Hennarot e30 M3
'11 LeMans Blue/Chestnut Mtech 335d
'11 e70 VF stage 2 X5M
'08 Interlagos/Extended Fox Red e92 M3
'02 Steelgrey slicktop

Jump to top JeST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-01-2009, 01:50:12 AM   #25
cntrvrsy

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Marini View Post
... so maybe you have some weird but awesome software in yours or you're downshifting with your foot on the throttle.
No, no software for the SMG although I wish we could load the CSL program in our cars. Sometimes I rest my foot on the throttle to get more of a blip but that's when I'm driving normal speeds. If driving aggressive and go quickly into turns it blips on it's own... maybe not in the way a person driving a 6MT would but it's more than when driving under normal speeds. Perhaps you could try the pedal layout that JeST or LightWerkz has which would make it easier to roll your foot over to the throttle. Their setups are nice!

sig engineered by Fcukupayme
Jump to top cntrvrsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-01-2009, 03:46:58 AM   #26
///Marini

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrvrsy View Post
No, no software for the SMG although I wish we could load the CSL program in our cars. Sometimes I rest my foot on the throttle to get more of a blip but that's when I'm driving normal speeds. If driving aggressive and go quickly into turns it blips on it's own... maybe not in the way a person driving a 6MT would but it's more than when driving under normal speeds. Perhaps you could try the pedal layout that JeST or LightWerkz has which would make it easier to roll your foot over to the throttle. Their setups are nice!
hmm, I'll have to check their setups out. Lately I have been doing the "left foot brake, right foot gas" technique and I'm getting fairly smooth with it. I definitely prefer it to using just the right foot for now because I feel like I have better accuracy with my blips and braking.

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
Old Mon, Jun-01-2009, 04:06:47 AM   #27
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
No, but it does look like palomares. Actually I didn't even take the pic (thats why its so good, lol) the previous owner, who was a forum member, had the pictures taken by his friend in the hills of rancho santa margarita, ca (socal near irvine).

Do you live in castro valley?

I actually live in Fremont. I've driven Palomares Rd a few times though, and i figured your sig pics were from there, since it says you are from Castro Valley. Nice car man, look forward to seeing the mods. Good to see another Tiag.

Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking this but I wasn't sure if it would be enough for the job.

Thanks! I'm pretty sure the SMG (at least mine) doesn't blip automatically. If I just downshift, then all it does is swap the gears, no rev-matching. I have to give it a little throttle to bring up the revs. I've found multiple threads that have said that this is normal and that you have to blip yourself.. so maybe you have some weird but awesome software in yours or you're downshifting with your foot on the throttle.

I usually downshift with my foot on the throttle but theres obviously times where you can't. For instance, you're rolling up to a red light in 3rd, revs dip below 2k, light turns green but the car in front of you hasn't started going just yet. So you want to slow down so you don't hit the car and you want to downshift so you don't lug the engine when you need to accelerate from the roll. This is very awkward in SMG if you don't like to downshift w/out a rev-match because you don't have the option of the clutch pedal (which gives a wide variety of solutions to this). So you need to brake and blip simultaneously... Also this would be an essential skill for fast cornering on the track
As long as you have some throttle input, the SMG will always rev-match on downshifts.

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-02-2009, 04:16:40 AM   #28
mope

United States

Left foot braking and a brake pedal pad out of an automatic e46... Works great
Jump to top mope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-02-2009, 04:20:13 AM   #29
bm3r

looks sick with the spacers! any rubbing?
02 RSX Type S Sold
99 996 C2 Sold
01 996 C2 Cab Sold
01 325ci Sold
98.5 M3 Alpine Sold
95 M3 Cosmos Sold
Jump to top bm3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-04-2009, 09:14:46 AM   #30
///Marini

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm3r View Post
looks sick with the spacers! any rubbing?
No rubbing with 245/35/19s in the front and 13in (center of roundel to fender) front drop.

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3