BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Dec-20-2018, 12:23:11 PM   #41
Apps

United States

Default Re: Shout out to Mister Em

To add to the glowing reviews here...

I was referred to Mike following a lot of work I was doing myself to track down the source of slow VANOS response times...especially evident at low rpm (< 3000).

At the time I already had lots of data gathered depicting the problem through data logging. Some of which I posted here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=600200

I had already performed a full Beisan repair including - solenoid, all seals, rattle kit, oil pump disk, all chain guides...

In addition I had gone down the path of replacing the accumulator and the high pressure regulator. While the accumulator helped drive-ability significantly I still had position related shadow DTC's.

I was convinced that the valvebody held some magic gunk that was preventing proper sealing between the control ports (this was the only part other than the main actuator housing that I hadn't replaced).

Mike offered to send me a complete VANOS assembly free of charge to debug my issues. Along with this trust he allowed me time debug every part of the system as I swapped one for another, completed a datalogging process and moved to the next part.

In the end he had diagnosed the problem directly from the start...the actuator housing was the culprit.

I measured no change in bore or piston diameters compared to my existing unit but through this process I have come to appreciate the sensitivity of this VANOS design. I feel certain that some small blockage in the high pressure galley of the VANOS prevents proper flow at low rpm. Simply having a properly cleaned unit seems to have been enough to resolve my issues.

No more shadow codes, confirmed by datalogging.

I've attached pictures (in the following order):
At the start (before accumulator)
After accumulator swap
Final Measurement

Mike is a wonderful asset to have in this community and has certainly increased my knowledge of this VANOS design.

Also...now my e39 s54 is back in business!!!:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LLSYdioQTkmgEBn29
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before_accumulator.jpg (66.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg after_accumulator.jpg (67.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg final.jpg (72.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg e39.jpg (378.5 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Apps; Thu, Dec-20-2018 at 01:03:59 PM.
Jump to top Apps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-01-2019, 06:38:19 AM   #42
Tacomeat

In the garage:

United States

A little more love for Mike and Naturally Agitated Performance.

I was due for a valve adjustment, while in there Mike suggested a good cleaning of my VANOS. I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting Mike when I had my local Indy shop (a reputable place) do the Beisan bulletproof stuff years ago.

Turns out the whole thing was full of RTV. Mike pulled it, cleaned it (ultra-sonic bath, not just Brakleen) worked his magic and upgraded it to a stage 2 VANOS.

Car pulls so great now. 4 feels like 6k used to feel, torque comes on much earlier.

Moral of the story? I spent $2k or so 6 years ago to have a reputable local shop do my VANOS and I bet they did a better job than 90% of the shops out there. Yet Mike's work is in the 99th percentile. I've started referring to his garage as "The Temple of VANOS"

If you need your VANOS done, or you need it done right get in touch with Naturally Agitated Performance, get it done right the first time by the best guy out there. Honest, straight shooter, no bullshit.

Thanks again Mike. I trust my S54 to nobody but you.
Old Sat, Jan-25-2020, 04:02:14 PM   #43
MisterEm

United States

Thumbs up Re: Shout out to Mister Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomeat View Post
A little more love for Mike and Naturally Agitated Performance.

I was due for a valve adjustment, while in there Mike suggested a good cleaning of my VANOS. I hadn't had the pleasure of meeting Mike when I had my local Indy shop (a reputable place) do the Beisan bulletproof stuff years ago.

Turns out the whole thing was full of RTV. Mike pulled it, cleaned it (ultra-sonic bath, not just Brakleen) worked his magic and upgraded it to a stage 2 VANOS.

Car pulls so great now. 4 feels like 6k used to feel, torque comes on much earlier.

Moral of the story? I spent $2k or so 6 years ago to have a reputable local shop do my VANOS and I bet they did a better job than 90% of the shops out there. Yet Mike's work is in the 99th percentile. I've started referring to his garage as "The Temple of VANOS"

If you need your VANOS done, or you need it done right get in touch with Naturally Agitated Performance, get it done right the first time by the best guy out there. Honest, straight shooter, no bullshit.

Thanks again Mike. I trust my S54 to nobody but you.
Thank you, Geoff. Your car is a pleasure to work on. Everything does what it should...

After the valve adjust, your lower half of the vanos was removed, solvent soaked the valvebody overnight, and then ultrasonic cleaned the valvebody, less the oil regulator. Replaced the oil regulator with a new one and reset VANOS adaptations. That's it.

Glad to hear your HPR top speed increased after the service.
Old Sat, Jan-25-2020, 04:53:03 PM   #44
sacman

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab010799 View Post
I don't know Mike myself, but it makes me happy that would have such a positive community for our cars. I don't think there's many other communities like ours, if any at all.
I can't say it better.
Jump to top sacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-25-2020, 05:43:37 PM   #45
last/M/left

United States

Kudos' to MisterEM wish I lived near CO
Jump to top last/M/left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-25-2020, 07:03:29 PM   #46
Sandeep1212

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
I wish I lived in CO, MisterEm is top notch. He is where I learned about the valve adjustment shim pro-tip: "8 and 10 thousandths. Wet sand with 12-1600 grit the shims. For all cams"

Also Mike (MisterEM), since you are reading this, check your Instagram messages. Looks like banging on AT Power's door worked. Should be able to get you those shaftless throttle-bodies in the next couple of weeks.

Also, if you don't know, MisterEM very well might have the fastest NA S54 on the street. What was it, 390ish WHP!? With big-boy high-lift cams that BMW said wouldn't work with VANOS (14.5mm and 14.0mm lift 292/284 cams) -- which it did (does).
Whats the purpose?

2003.5 TIAG Black 6MT Gone
2003.5 Carbon Black Laguna Seca Blue SMG Current
Supersprint V1/Supersprint straight pipe sec 1/ Supersprint X-pipe/OEM Muffler/Eventuri Intake/TCKline Single Adjustable 500lbs Front 600lbs Rear/TCKline Camber Plates/Turner Adjustable Rear Control Arm/Turner Monoball RTABs/Turner Monoball FCABS/ Whiteline Front Sway / Brembo GT 6 piston Front 4 Piston Rear/OEM CSL Trunk/ CSL rep 1 piece lip
Jump to top Sandeep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-25-2020, 08:11:51 PM   #47
04yfz

United States

I'm not very active here these days but I really wanted to thank Mike for his help on a Vanos issue I dealt with recently. I have done this job many dozens of times and ran into an issue I've never seen before due to a certain combination of parts and a higher mileage engine.

Thanks to Mike's vast knowledge and experience he saved me hours of frustration if not more as it would have taken me a long time to figure out the issue, if at all! Mike really knows his stuff when it comes to the s54 Vanos and it shows. If you're in his area you are doing yourself a disservice if you use anyone else.

Thank you again Mike, you are a true asset to the m3 community!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed, Jan-29-2020, 03:32:44 PM   #48
MisterEm

United States

Thumbs up Re: Shout out to Mister Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
I'm not very active here these days but I really wanted to thank Mike for his help on a Vanos issue I dealt with recently. I have done this job many dozens of times and ran into an issue I've never seen before due to a certain combination of parts and a higher mileage engine.

Thanks to Mike's vast knowledge and experience he saved me hours of frustration if not more as it would have taken me a long time to figure out the issue, if at all! Mike really knows his stuff when it comes to the s54 Vanos and it shows. If you're in his area you are doing yourself a disservice if you use anyone else.

Thank you again Mike, you are a true asset to the m3 community!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Pat. Means a lot coming from the SMG swap master like yourself.

💪🏽💪🏽
Old Wed, Jan-29-2020, 03:42:17 PM   #49
MisterEm

United States

Talking Re: Shout out to Mister Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep1212 View Post
Whats the purpose?
Valve opening and closing on time. Stock recommendations are like the 15,000 mile OCIs BMW sold at the time....bullshit.

Sloppy lash tends to make a difference. But you knew that.
Old Wed, Jan-29-2020, 07:27:21 PM   #50
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEm View Post
Valve opening and closing on time. Stock recommendations are like the 15,000 mile OCIs BMW sold at the time....bullshit.

Sloppy lash tends to make a difference. But you knew that.
Am I understanding this correctly, intake side 8thou (which is right in middle of recommended 7thou-9thou), but to run exhaust at 10thou (which is super tight since recommended is 11thou-13thou)?

Couldn't that potentially result in burning the exhaust valve once everything is at operating temp and expanded?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: VANOS, WPC rod bearings, full SS (SS stepped V1 headers, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), AFD E85 Proflex kit, Ohlins R&T/Hyperco 375f Swift 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, ST40 355 pfc08, 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, Beyer driveshaft, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal. Have various specialty tools (VANOS, RTAB, engine bar, valve adjustment, tranny jack, ball joint separator, pilot bearing puller, tap&die kit, etc).
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote