BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Jan-07-2019, 01:39:41 PM   #91
DrftKingIII
VSCERL

United States

Default Re: Restoration Journal - Imola 6MT Cpe

This is my favorite type of thread to read through. Major inspiration.

Thanks for sharing your journey, I look forward to following it as it develops.

Jump to top DrftKingIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-19-2019, 03:23:42 PM   #92
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

Default New Brakes

I noticed a slight grinding noise at low speeds that sounded simply like amplified pad-drag. After checking out the brakes the rotors had a significant lip and the pads looked pretty low. Hard to tell while still on the car.

Well not hard to tell once removed:

Yikes! The pad sensor was tied back otherwise it would have tripped for sure.

Just so we're clear about the space I'm working in, here it is (911 sleeping in the back).

An hour or so later and we're all buttoned up!

2012 997.2 GTS Black/Black 6MT/LSD/Aero
Jump to top nwGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 06:08:05 PM   #93
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

The car sat for the last two months while there was snow/salt on the roads. We're all clear here in Chicago and in anticipation of getting back on the road I spent the last few weeks on the exterior.

Here is the plan for the exterior:
  1. New Finisher Side Frame and Shadowline Trim
  2. New Door Handle Gaskets
  3. 3-Stage Full Car Paint Correction
  4. Full Car Glaze, Seal, and Wax
  5. New Emblems and Badging Front and Rear

Here is what we're dealing with for the FSF and SLT:

Removing the SLT is simple enough:

I've seen many different DIY methods to removing the adhesive. Friends, get yourselves a rubber wheel.

It removed all of the adhesive in 5 minutes:

The FSF removal is documented here somewhere. It's a dozen or so screws and pops out easily after their removal.

As it sits, the full front and passenger's side is complete ready for glaze. The driver's side, trunk and rear bumper will be completed by next week. More to come!

Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 06:21:20 PM   #94
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

There is a nice DIY for replacing the weatherstripping in the upper trim piece if the paint is good and you are still trying to keep the spend low. I can track down a link for you if needed.

Edit: here it is...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=373831
Jump to top dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 08:22:37 PM   #95
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Interior Done

Love the thread, also went through some of your 997 GTS thread - now that is attention to detail! All the more impressive that you are doing this in your parking garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post
I planned on getting a track car but this one was too mechanically sorted to track even at 140k+ miles.
How is this car too sorted but you're comfortable tracking your GTS

Quote:
Otherwise, in spring it gets a full top to bottom cut and polish and new exterior rubber trim before it hits the market.
Whoever picks this up is going to be incredibly lucky, very few cars taken care of like this one.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 09:54:15 PM   #96
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
There is a nice DIY for replacing the weatherstripping in the upper trim piece if the paint is good and you are still trying to keep the spend low. I can track down a link for you if needed.

Edit: here it is...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=373831
Yup. This is the thread I referenced. I promised myself in the beginning everything would stay OEM. Knowing these needed to be replaced, and at $1100 for a new OEM pair, I scoured many many outlets looking for a good used pair over the past 5 months to no avail. The FSF needed two passes of the polisher to look great and because it's just a decorative piece with some use in channeling water I went with the DIY route. I tweaked the DIY a bit for a better fit of the seal and used a more dense material, but I'll give the OP credit, there is no way you would ever know it's not OEM unless you went looking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Love the thread, also went through some of your 997 GTS thread - now that is attention to detail! All the more impressive that you are doing this in your parking garage.

How is this car too sorted but you're comfortable tracking your GTS

Whoever picks this up is going to be incredibly lucky, very few cars taken care of like this one.
Thank you! The GTS is my labor of love. And yes seems backwards to track it vs the M3. I fell into the dual purpose car trap and realized i needed a dedicated track car. My search for an M3 started there and when I thought I found the one, it turned out to be too nice to gut. So here we are.

Last edited by nwGTS; Thu, Mar-21-2019 at 10:02:11 PM.
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 02:22:49 PM   #97
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I fell into the dual purpose car trap and realized i needed a dedicated track car. My search for an M3 started there and when I thought I found the one, it turned out to be too nice to gut. So here we are.
A dedicated track car can be a trap of its own. You may start wanting a better trailer, bigger tow vehicle etc.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-22-2019, 04:06:26 PM   #98
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
A dedicated track car can be a trap of its own. You may start wanting a better trailer, bigger tow vehicle etc.
Very true. That problem solves itself since where I live (downtown Chicago) there's nowhere to store a trailer. So this car would live at my race shop who provides track support and transport.

Old Mon, Mar-25-2019, 02:50:10 PM   #99
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

Finished the final correction and polish yesterday. When you do this type of paint detail you find EVERYTHING and I'm very happy to say that my initial inspection is confirmed that this car has zero rust anywhere. There are definitely some scratches I could chase and that's expected on a car with 150k miles. This is good enough for my purposes and I'll let the next person decide if they'd like to really dig into it.

BEFORE

AFTER

This week I'll glaze, seal and get the new badges and trim on.

Old Sun, Mar-31-2019, 10:25:12 PM   #100
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

Finally got her out after wrapping up everything. All new exterior seals and gaskets are in... side trim pics to follow. compound, polish, glaze and seal is done. And all new badges are on. The side mirror caps were pitted and polished up very well but not to my standard. Fortunately, i've got a new pair going on next month after some work travel.

She's all done and ready for a new home. I'll wait to list it until early/mid summer while enjoying some weekend jaunts with it but if you're interested, PM me and we'll have a chat.