BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon, Jan-10-2011, 11:33:02 PM   #1
wilmar13

In the garage:

United States

Default Westfalia Trailer Hitch install on E46 M3 DIY

Disclaimer: This is more of a description of what I did to my car to be used as a guide, than a true DIY so if you attempt this it is all on you!

After finally finding a solution in the factory Euro hitch from Westfalia for the E46, I went ahead and ordered one from Europe. I tried to buy it from a place in the states called Eurohitches.com but they didn't respond to my inquiry until after I had already had the hitch installed on my car (two months later stating it was 6-8 weeks, and $650 + shipping). I got it from a BMW parts online store in Denmark here: http://www.schmiedmann.com/westfalia...age1.aspx#1603

It took a week to receive from the time I ordered it, and cost me less than $500 delivered based on exchange rate at the time.

So here it is spread out on the floor... this version does not have the included electrics, but the M3 is not pre-wired anyway so it is better (why pay extra for something you can't use?).The quality of the components was better than I expected, very solid and Germanic precision was evident in every aspect from the welds, to the machining on the tow ball latch mechanism, and quality powder coat (the stuff that looks like scratches it sticker residue I didn't bother to remove). Much better than anything I could have had custom made.

OK, remove the rear bumper: I jacked the car up and removed the wheels to make it easier to work on but this is optional.
Remove the lower valence; remove plastic pop rivets on bottom edge:

Then yank up and out to get it off:

Remove fender liners on both sides:

Now gut your trunk if not already done. You will need to take out the floor mat and the side carpets to access the bumper bolts inside.

Remove the 3 13mm nuts on both sides, these are the studs holding the bumper on:

Then pull the bumper off, it is held on with a clip in the inner fender, with a guide on both sides here you can kind of see it, behind the fender liner:

It isn't heavy but it is large and somewhat flimsy, I did it alone but I have a long wingspan... it would be easier with a helper just to make sure you don't drop anything

Last edited by wilmar13; Tue, Jan-11-2011 at 12:51:22 AM.
Jump to top wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads