BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 02:10:40 PM   #1
Exclusivs
Registered User
 
Exclusivs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 336
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Exclusivs is on a distinguished road

United States




Question Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Compiling list of "while in there" items to replace. If ever time to do it... While install of struts / springs, bump stops, top mounts , and RSM's planned. RTAB's & limiters. Exhaust to headers will be down so time to take advantage.

Please help remind if I am missing anything? Subframe won't be down, so bushings and diff bushings will stay for now.

What comes to mind :
-Rear camber bushings?
-Trailing arm ball joints?
-Rear end links?
-Rear sway bushings?


TIA Guys!
Jump to top Exclusivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 03:06:27 PM   #2
Drewster
Registered User
 
Drewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,958
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Drewster is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

The 'ol slippery slope...

Great times for replacing/ upgrading control arms (diff needs to be out)

Thoroughly inspect the driveshaft. If you have the means, I would just get *all* parts needed to rebuild the drive-line (Guibo, CSB, CV, CV grease/ seal). Mine was fine.. but a few thousand track miles later I find myself needing to drop it all again to replace a cracking guibo

Having all of that stuff out is also a great time to rebuild the shifter components

Be sure to get new hardware (nuts, bolts, gaskets) for the exhaust
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 03:11:10 PM   #3
gabylonfive
g-day
 
gabylonfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 250
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 gabylonfive is on a distinguished road
Location: SF Bay Area

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
The 'ol slippery slope...

Great times for replacing/ upgrading control arms (diff needs to be out)

Thoroughly inspect the driveshaft. If you have the means, I would just get *all* parts needed to rebuild the drive-line (Guibo, CSB, CV, CV grease/ seal). Mine was fine.. but a few thousand track miles later I find myself needing to drop it all again to replace a cracking guibo

Having all of that stuff out is also a great time to rebuild the shifter components

Be sure to get new hardware (nuts, bolts, gaskets) for the exhaust


Pretty much this. If you are unsure of the mileage of the guibo,csb, and cv then I would just do them regardless of how they look. Everything will be right there for you and youíll know for sure youíve got a fresh set of parts in. Hate to have to remove everything to track down some drivetrain clunk or vibration once everything is back together.

Iíd do ball joints too if youíre extra motivated but that could probably wait if you plan ok dropping the subframe sometime. If youíre dropping the diff then reseal the output shafts while itís down and replace the front and rear bolts.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

--
[OE CSL] [Karbonius] [Supersprint] [Dinan] [Bimmerworld] [Rays Engineering]
[Kassel Performance] [AKG Motorsport] [CSF Radiators] [SPAL] [Turner Motorsport]
[ApexRaceParts] [Rogue Engineering] [Ground Control] [Redish Motorsport] [AutoSolutions]
---
[KEEPER] - 2004 6MT M3 [Alpine White // Cinnamon]
[DAILY] - 2008 6AT Stg2 335i [Alpine White // Saddle Brown]
[TRACK] - 2001 Trackspec Autosports Spec E46 [#75]
ig -- @gabylonfive
Jump to top gabylonfive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 03:38:27 PM   #4
Exclusivs
Registered User
 
Exclusivs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 336
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Exclusivs is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
The 'ol slippery slope...

Great times for replacing/ upgrading control arms (diff needs to be out)

Thoroughly inspect the driveshaft. If you have the means, I would just get *all* parts needed to rebuild the drive-line (Guibo, CSB, CV, CV grease/ seal). Mine was fine.. but a few thousand track miles later I find myself needing to drop it all again to replace a cracking guibo

Having all of that stuff out is also a great time to rebuild the shifter components

Be sure to get new hardware (nuts, bolts, gaskets) for the exhaust
Guibo, Center mount, trans mounts, will be done. Just didn't name as was more curious on back end of car, and it's accompanying bushings.

Slippery slope, I've contained. Just being sensible in approach - and doing right first time. The slope begins when new headers etc start to make the list. Yes, can't say they haven't crossed my mind. Trying to refrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabylonfive View Post
Pretty much this. If you are unsure of the mileage of the guibo,csb, and cv then I would just do them regardless of how they look. Everything will be right there for you and youíll know for sure youíve got a fresh set of parts in. Hate to have to remove everything to track down some drivetrain clunk or vibration once everything is back together.

Iíd do ball joints too if youíre extra motivated but that could probably wait if you plan ok dropping the subframe sometime. If youíre dropping the diff then reseal the output shafts while itís down and replace the front and rear bolts.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Am bit impartial to moving forward with dropping diff. Sensibly, it would be easier to do when subframe comes down. But, there may or may not be a seal leak. My nose says there is.
Jump to top Exclusivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 04:27:08 PM   #5
Drewster
Registered User
 
Drewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,958
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Drewster is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Guibo, Center mount, trans mounts, will be done. Just didn't name as was more curious on back end of car, and it's accompanying
Again, I'd add the CV, its seal, and redline grease to that.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 05:32:28 PM   #6
Exclusivs
Registered User
 
Exclusivs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 336
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Exclusivs is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Again, I'd add the CV, its seal, and redline grease to that.


Awesome, thanks for that. Clarify ; this is unit yeah? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/26117841003/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Exclusivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 10:42:01 PM   #7
AussieE46M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 206
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 AussieE46M3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Gold Coast

Australia




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

I'd do front diff bush, subframe bushes, inner control arm bushes, outer control arm bushes, RTA bush, and wheel bearings and CSB & guibo as others have said.

If you want to go further it's also a good time to change the transmission mounts.

The rear diff bushes are a part of the diff housing and can be changed much easier than the front diff bushing so if you're wanting to save a few jobs for later it can be.

Also, check the diff seals etc and axle CV's for play.

Could also change trans & diff fluids while you're in there.
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-20-2018, 11:10:40 PM   #8
Drewster
Registered User
 
Drewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,958
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Drewster is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Awesome, thanks for that. Clarify ; this is unit yeah? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/26117841003/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct. On mine, this gasket failed, so I re-filled it with this grease, but probably should have replaced the joint
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-21-2018, 02:44:40 AM   #9
Exclusivs
Registered User
 
Exclusivs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 336
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Exclusivs is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieE46M3 View Post
I'd do front diff bush, subframe bushes, inner control arm bushes, outer control arm bushes, RTA bush, and wheel bearings and CSB & guibo as others have said.

If you want to go further it's also a good time to change the transmission mounts.

The rear diff bushes are a part of the diff housing and can be changed much easier than the front diff bushing so if you're wanting to save a few jobs for later it can be.

Also, check the diff seals etc and axle CV's for play.

Could also change trans & diff fluids while you're in there.


Thanks for your insight - but you obviously did not read the thread title correctly. Appreciate your gung ho attitude at throwing it all at the car. Next time, itíd probably be more beneficial for other owners in future to stumbled across this thread and find useful information.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Exclusivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-21-2018, 02:47:22 AM   #10
Exclusivs
Registered User
 
Exclusivs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 336
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Exclusivs is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Bushings + other misc parts to replace w Subframe mounted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Correct. On mine, this gasket failed, so I re-filled it with this grease, but probably should have replaced the joint


Yeah, canít say I know what the failure rate is on these CVs. Doesnít seem to resonate as something high, unless under extreme demand. Iím guessing your car sees a lot of track time based on other posts Iíve seen in the garage section/ w fairly accurate reasoning. IE: reason Iím questioning if itís 100% necessity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Exclusivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:31:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing CMP Auto Engineering subframe kit in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)