BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 04:58:53 PM   #31
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober330 View Post
If so, and if those cars arenít manuals, then why do people hate on automatic cars? Why do most on these forums love their manuals?
Automatics vs modern dual clutch (pdk) isnít even a comparison

Look at these new gt3ís. They now have option to buy manual, yet pdk is still in high demand.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:01:39 PM   #32
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Automatics vs modern dual clutch (pdk) isnít even a comparison

Look at these new gt3ís. They now have option to buy manual, yet pdk is still in high demand.
I don't hear anyone arguing that automatics shouldn't be available as an option.

I don't really care if it's not offered, unless they go back to steering feel, NA engines, and communicative chassis.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:07:03 PM   #33
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

At least now we know how he feels. He might want to pay attention to what Porsche is doing with their GT cars. If BMW wants to compete with all the other main stream companies, and just produce nice sedans, SUV's and corssovers, then have at it, but the enthusiasts will continue to leave.

BMW's glory days of being the benchmark, ultimate driving machine are over. They still make some fine cars, but they did ignore the enthusiasts for too long. The M2 is probably the only bright spot in the last generation of cars they built.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:09:27 PM   #34
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
At least now we know how he feels. He might want to pay attention to what Porsche is doing with their GT cars. If BMW wants to compete with all the other main stream companies, and just produce nice sedans, SUV's and corssovers, then have at it, but the enthusiasts will continue to leave.

BMW's glory days of being the benchmark, ultimate driving machine are over. They still make some fine cars, but they did ignore the enthusiasts for too long. The M2 is probably the only bright spot in the last generation of cars they built.
I agree with you for the most part, but I'd have to add the M3, although a sedan, is quite a capable car. It surprised me a lot on track when I drove the M3/4 back to back.
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:14:10 PM   #35
spnsprt

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
We just need Singer to make their take on the e30
http://singervehicledesign.com/
oh god that would be incredible
Jump to top spnsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:15:44 PM   #36
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post

It seems they're realizing that the vast majority of new BMW drivers are accountants who want to impress folks when they pull up, not people who actually want to enjoy a drive on mountain roads
As a CPA with a stable of old M-cars, I'm insulted.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:17:37 PM   #37
M spec
Rembrandt Audio

Austria

The f8x M3/4 is vastly superior to a E46/M. Also to note, the E46 while exciting to drive, is far from the most "feeling" car that BMW made or is out there in general.

Why this guy is listening to small camp of enthusiasts who cant drive quicker than the E46 permits is beyond me. The chassis feel and high baseline speed that the F80 has is incredible to drive and push to the limits of your inner "true driver" whether its DCT (better in every way) or manual.

That said, I enjoy the E46 as an auto and BMW enthusiast, as the only factor holding me back from a F80 is the deprecation they still have. In 2-3 years they'll be fantastic buys, just like the E92's are currently.
Jump to top M spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:19:29 PM   #38
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
How many complaining even bought these cars new? Bmw isnít dumb, majority of the people buying their cars are corporate types that want the M badge simply to have the top of the line (nothing wrong with this).

My friends, who are car guys, non stop complain about how the new m cars are too this or that. Iím like, go drive your $13k 2002 m3 you bought in 2016 and just enjoy it. You canít even afford a new $70k m car even if it had the ďrawĒ features you wanted. Bmw isnít making cars for your broke ass lol. No offense to anyone, obviously this doesnít apply to everyone, Iím just backing up bmwís Decision.
Porsche seems to be doing okay finding buyers for their cars sooo I dont really see that as a valid argument.
That dipsh*ts quote about going fast relaxed says it all.
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:21:07 PM   #39
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M spec View Post
The f8x M3/4 is vastly superior to a E46/M. Also to note, the E46 while exciting to drive, is far from the most "feeling" car that BMW made or is out there in general.

Why this guy is listening to small camp of enthusiasts who cant drive quicker than the E46 permits is beyond me. The chassis feel and high baseline speed that the F80 has is incredible to drive and push to the limits of your inner "true driver" whether its DCT (better in every way) or manual.

That said, I enjoy the E46 as an auto and BMW enthusiast, as the only factor holding me back from a F80 is the deprecation they still have. In 2-3 years they'll be fantastic buys, just the the E92's are currently.
Exactly what I'm doing. Just biding my time for the F80's to come down. Hopefuly by 2020/2021 they're a bit more reasonable.
Old Wed, Oct-10-2018, 05:24:25 PM   #40
S54VAGE

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Enthusiasts will forever be unhappy with new cars, but in the grand scheme of things, enthusiast do not pay BMW bills. People who buy brand new cars do, and BMW makes what those people want. Their #1 goal is to make money for their shareholders and not to please a few whiny journalists.

Want old feel? Buy old car. Not happy with new BMW cars? Don't buy them. Easy.
While i generally agree with the sentiment in this thread this hits the nail on the head. Case and point is the SUV market right now - I for one don't get it - but there bmw is with a TON of offerings. They build what is being bought. And unfortunately for us enthusiasts generally don't adopt new platforms until a bit later in time - and that's the sad truth.

Looking forward to the day some niche companies pick up some of the older bmw platforms like singer did with porsche.

edit: the other sad realization is that companies really are noticing the effects they have on climate change and are starting to pivot towards more efficient and clean alternatives. Overall it's a good thing for humanity but bad for us (car enthusiasts) imo.

Last edited by S54VAGE; Wed, Oct-10-2018 at 05:28:51 PM.
Jump to top S54VAGE is online now   Reply With Quote