BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Sep-17-2018, 05:36:11 PM   #21
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Feeler: Group Buy Gosling Racing & Independent Designs Front and Rear Brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 dude View Post
with rear bars especially, unless its a solid piece, they look good and tough; but how much load are they really taking up, over and above what the floor is taking by itself?
Not a knock against a rear x-brace (as I was considering one myself), but just a cautionary tale for the noobs... while they may provide a degree of RACP reinforcement for the rear subframe mounting points, they do nothing for the front mounting points. Sooo, I wouldn't feel comfortable just installing an x-brace by itself and calling it 'good'...you're still gonna need to install plates or something to address the front subframe mounting points as well.

EDIT: Something else to weigh (and wut's kinda keeping me from pulling the trigger) is that part of what makes the M3 so versatile is that you can fold the seats down and slide all kinds of crap forward (tires, jack, etc. for track rats)...an x-brace pretty much removes that option unless you wanna unbolt it and bolt it back together when you arrive at the track/to your destination-kind of a PITA.

Last edited by stash1; Mon, Sep-17-2018 at 06:53:30 PM.
Jump to top stash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Sep-17-2018, 06:41:16 PM   #22
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Feeler: Group Buy Gosling Racing & Independent Designs Front and Rear Brace

Definitely interested in the rear brace!

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-17-2018, 06:44:07 PM   #23
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash1 View Post
Not a knock against a rear x-brace (as I was considering one myself), but just a cautionary tale for the noobs... while they may provide a degree of RACP reinforcement for the rear subframe mounting points, they do nothing for the front mounting points. Sooo, I wouldn't feel comfortable just installing an x-brace by itself and calling it 'good'...you're still gonna need to install plates or something to address the front subframe mounting points as well.
Absolutely. A rear x-brace AND reinforcement plates, however, is a solid route to bulletproof the rear imho.

Old Mon, Sep-17-2018, 08:13:03 PM   #24
dothraki

United States

Was looking into this and doing my own research. I have some questions/comments:

The rear brace mounting where the x brace and top bar are connected to the turret mount, looks horizontally adjustable. The CMP X brace is all welded and Mason is a non-adjustable bolt-on. Gosling being adjustable in an area where there is stress, would the bolts ever shift horizontally since friction is the only thing keeping it from moving?

For the struct tower brace, the advertised 2-piece design for "ease of installation, maximum adjustment and ease of servicing" sounds like a weakness according to Rogue Engineering's RACEBRACE. Would like to hear other folks comments.
Jump to top dothraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-17-2018, 08:54:04 PM   #25
WALKD_U

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Slotted holes where the front brace bolts to the shock towers seem like they’re limit how effective it is and cause rubbing in an area I wouldn’t want rubbing.

Same on the rear-- hard to see what that is actually going to be accomplishing with slots on the part that attaches to the towers.

Feels like these designs won't do much...

If you are really that worried about the slots reducing the effectiveness of the bar. You could always weld washers where it will lock the bolt into place on both sides. (I might go this route to make sure it doesn't move) I believe that GRID slotted it help ease the install on some customers cars that are not 100% squared as they are suppose to be. The brace once tighten down with all the components should be pretty stout and 100% effective as designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
Absolutely. A rear x-brace AND reinforcement plates, however, is a solid route to bulletproof the rear imho.
I am also planning to foam the rear cavities as well per BMW instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothraki View Post
Was looking into this and doing my own research. I have some questions/comments:

The rear brace mounting where the x brace and top bar are connected to the turret mount, looks horizontally adjustable. The CMP X brace is all welded and Mason is a non-adjustable bolt-on. Gosling being adjustable in an area where there is stress, would the bolts ever shift horizontally since friction is the only thing keeping it from moving?

For the struct tower brace, the advertised 2-piece design for "ease of installation, maximum adjustment and ease of servicing" sounds like a weakness according to Rogue Engineering's RACEBRACE. Would like to hear other folks comments.
It will be more vertical stress and not horizontal. I am waiting for GRID/PSDesign with some answers to clarify your guys concerns and questions. I am install this on my 1000WHP/800+WTQ m3 so it will be tested for sure....

So, here's the list:

1. WALKD_U - 1 Front and Rear Brace
2. lore2486 - 1 Rear Brace
3. FANTASTICVOYAGE - 1 Rear Brace

2005 JB/BLK 330i ZHP
NA Bolt-ons
207whp/216wtq SAE Corrected

1996 BLU/BLK M3
NA Bolt-ons
235whp/225wtq SAE Corrected

1988 SETA 325I
NA Bolt-ons
165whp/160wtq SAE Corrected

Last edited by WALKD_U; Tue, Sep-18-2018 at 01:51:41 AM.
Jump to top WALKD_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-17-2018, 11:49:01 PM   #26
tr4ck_m3
Buildjournal

In the garage:

United States

im down for rear brace pending some technical answers to the questions in the thread.

2002 BMW TiAg/Imola E46 ///M3 6MT | BuildJournal Tune + AFD Flexfuel E70 315whp / 242wtq
2013 BMW Sapphire Black/Black F30 335i ///M Sport 8AT | BM3 E30 Stg 2 Tune 367whp/457wtq
Jump to top tr4ck_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-18-2018, 01:33:06 AM   #27
stash1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
Ya, the x-brace ties together the rear shock towers and probably helps to effectively alleviate the stress on the rear subframe mounting points in a similar manner to a Vince bar type solution...just don't forget to weld some reinforcement plates in as well to provide support for the RACP.
Old Tue, Sep-18-2018, 04:11:02 PM   #28
yeaYU

United States

Just wanted to share. I purchased a set a while ago see attached photos. Not installed yet but will be once I get them powder coated tiag silver. Also purchased PSDesigns/GRID colab GTS style half cage. If anyone ordered from prismaticpowders.com before which option is the closest color code to Tiag silver? LMK.

I can take closer pictures just let me know what angle you want.

https://flic.kr/p/2a76j1w

https://flic.kr/p/2a76j1S
Jump to top yeaYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-18-2018, 04:36:31 PM   #29
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKD_U View Post
If you are really that worried about the slots reducing the effectiveness of the bar. The brace once tighten down with all the components should be pretty stout and 100% effective as designed.
I don't agree. Friction caused by a tightened bolt is pretty insignificant compare to the forces twisting the chassis.

My guess is that it won't do much at all, as designed.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-18-2018, 08:00:54 PM   #30
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Ahh, I just saw the posts about the slots. Looking forward to the technical response.