BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jun-29-2018, 03:04:54 AM   #1
heinzboehmer

United States

Default Positive Terminal Under Hood Heating Up and Car Having Trouble Starting

A few months ago, my car started to have trouble starting. It would start fine most of the time, but sometimes would require for me to try and start it a few times before it actually did. I originally suspected the starter, but after a quick look under the hood, I found some corrosion on the positive battery terminal. The corrosion was only present on the terminal that's inside of the compartment on the passenger's side. I found nothing wrong with the terminal that's on top. However, I did find that it was getting extremely hot.

The PO installed the positive terminal for angel eyes in the same location. This wire was a little charred and melted. I didn't think this would be a problem, so I just cleaned everything up, added another terminal to the angel eye wire and put everything back together.

The car worked great and didn't have issues starting for a while, but yesterday I had to cycle it a few times before it did. This happened again today, so I opened up the hood after driving it all day and found that once again, the terminal was very hot. I took a look at the wires and they seemed fine, but there was a very faint burning smell.

I'm assuming something is wrong with how these wires are installed, as the wires themselves are in perfect shape. I have gone over every single connection but I can't find anything that looks out of place. The only thing I can think of that might be making this happen is that one angel eye wire. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Jump to top heinzboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-29-2018, 03:08:18 AM   #2
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Positive Terminal Under Hood Heating Up and Car Having Trouble Starting

Which terminal are you talking about?

Thereís a bad connection somewhere. Iíd get a multimeter and check resistance of sections of cable. If you get a high or no reading, that section of cable is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-29-2018, 03:13:34 AM   #3
lmattiso

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Positive Terminal Under Hood Heating Up and Car Having Trouble Starting

Unplug the angel eyes and see if it still gets hot. I doubt they're fused. Put an amp meter in series with them and the positive terminal and see what the draw is.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jump to top lmattiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-29-2018, 03:21:32 AM   #4
lmtfi

United States

Unplug the AEs. More people did shoddy AE installations years ago.
Old Fri, Jun-29-2018, 03:50:30 AM   #5
heinzboehmer

United States

This is the connection that I'm referring to.

I'll disconnect the angel eyes and see if that makes any difference, but I've already checked the install and everything seems fine. They've even got a 5 A fuse, so I doubt they're drawing too much current. I'll grab a multimeter tomorrow and see if any of the wires are bad.

Old Fri, Jun-29-2018, 07:11:37 PM   #6
qualicas

In the garage:

Canada

That connection has the top one that runs a cable over to the starter. The cable coming from the battery comes up in the "drug" bin. You want to remove both connections and clean them well. Bit of fun to get the cover off the battery cable connection. There is probably a youtube video on it. I have a spare one at home and can describe it later if you need it.
Jump to top qualicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-29-2018, 09:55:56 PM   #7
heinzboehmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualicas View Post
That connection has the top one that runs a cable over to the starter. The cable coming from the battery comes up in the "drug" bin. You want to remove both connections and clean them well. Bit of fun to get the cover off the battery cable connection. There is probably a youtube video on it. I have a spare one at home and can describe it later if you need it.
Yeah that's what I did the first time the problem came up. I did it again this morning, hopefully this and the removal of the angel eye wire from that location will fix the problem.

Old Sat, Jun-30-2018, 02:17:39 PM   #8
M3Milla

In the garage:

United States

I had the same issue. It was because I did a half ass job installing my angel eyes. I didn’t have a grounded at a good location. Even after I disconnected my angel eyes The terminal was getting really hot. I ended up replacing the short battery cable from the terminal to the firewall and I’m good to go now!
Jump to top M3Milla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-30-2018, 06:43:16 PM   #9
heinzboehmer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Milla View Post
I had the same issue. It was because I did a half ass job installing my angel eyes. I didnít have a grounded at a good location. Even after I disconnected my angel eyes The terminal was getting really hot. I ended up replacing the short battery cable from the terminal to the firewall and Iím good to go now!
So I reinstalled my angel eyes to check their ground wire and it turns out that they flickered when I moved the ground terminal. I found a better grounding location and now everything is good. Hopefully that was the issue.

Old Sun, Jul-01-2018, 03:09:21 AM   #10
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

That will definitely cause the issue you're experiencing.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote