BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jan-07-2018, 12:22:38 PM   #11
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdmej View Post
can anyone comment on the screen gloss in car?
It's quite glossy. Usable, but the reflections can get pretty bad
Old Sun, Jan-07-2018, 11:51:10 PM   #12
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

So highjacking obioban's thread for a second - I got my unit partially installed. I haven't completed the install since I'm still waiting on a couple parts, but I have the car put together enough to manage. Couple notes:

1) Out of the box, google play services doesn't work - it's installed, but non functional (crashes almost immediately). You can download an apk of the latest version and install from the head unit itself.

2) Despite the CPU-Z screenshot above, the unit is *not* rooted, and as of now, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually root it.

3) My mic harness seems to be miswired. I got it sort of working on the bench by moving a couple pins around, but I haven't tested on the car yet. My goal is to use the factory mic. I have a couple ideas on how to wire that with as little work as possible, which I'll detail later if it works.

4) I don't really like the messiness of the included Wifi/Cellular antennas, so I found an antenna off an old wifi card (basically same as this:

) I had laying around and hooked that up. There's plenty of room behind the unit, so it fit fine. I don't know if that would work for the cellular antennas, which I didn't hook up since I don't plan on buying a data plan for this thing

5) My GPS antenna extension has not arrived yet, so I'm using the stock antenna for now just thrown behind the unit, and it works well. I still intend to use my factory antenna because I'm a little OCD like that, but for 99% of you, it's probably not worth the effort or money.

6) To my ears, the sound quality is fine. It is worth noting however that I have some not insignificant hearing loss, so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt. EQ settings are limited. If we can root this thing, then there will be more options there.

7) Oil temperature in the Ibus app does not work (stuck at 0). It does not appear to be broadcast over the I/K-bus, so I don't think it will ever work unless there's an undocumented command. Apparently the LCM on (some?) E39s broadcasts it, but that's not the case with the E46. It also doesn't seem to read my battery voltage correctly (about .7-.8v high) - that might just be a formula error. Should probably get in touch with the dev.

Also, the I-bus interface is a standard Resler interface, and it seems like we can do whatever we want with it as long as we make/run the right app. In theory anything that was possible on the Intravee should be possible here. The included Ibus app seems to already do most useful things.

Last edited by terraphantm; Mon, Jan-08-2018 at 12:01:45 AM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 01:14:22 AM   #13
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Thx for the APK tip. I was sitting here for 30min trying to get Spotify to work. The wires are messy for sure, expected a quick install but trying to get the wiring clean is gonna take a bit.

Also, to answer my own q, seems I can tap into most of the wiring for all the functions easily except dimming from the dashboard harnesses, will figure out dimming later. It uses a standard molex 20 pin connector so I built a custom harness from that and ended up being clean and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
So highjacking obioban's thread for a second - I got my unit partially installed. I haven't completed the install since I'm still waiting on a couple parts, but I have the car put together enough to manage. Couple notes:

1) Out of the box, google play services doesn't work - it's installed, but non functional (crashes almost immediately). You can download an apk of the latest version and install from the head unit itself.

2) Despite the CPU-Z screenshot above, the unit is *not* rooted, and as of now, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually root it.

3) My mic harness seems to be miswired. I got it sort of working on the bench by moving a couple pins around, but I haven't tested on the car yet. My goal is to use the factory mic. I have a couple ideas on how to wire that with as little work as possible, which I'll detail later if it works.

4) I don't really like the messiness of the included Wifi/Cellular antennas, so I found an antenna off an old wifi card (basically same as this: Amazon.com: 2.4g 3dbi Wifi Antenna Sma Male (Pin) Interface for Wireless Router: Computers & Accessories) I had laying around and hooked that up. There's plenty of room behind the unit, so it fit fine. I don't know if that would work for the cellular antennas, which I didn't hook up since I don't plan on buying a data plan for this thing

5) My GPS antenna extension has not arrived yet, so I'm using the stock antenna for now just thrown behind the unit, and it works well. I still intend to use my factory antenna because I'm a little OCD like that, but for 99% of you, it's probably not worth the effort or money.

6) To my ears, the sound quality is fine. It is worth noting however that I have some not insignificant hearing loss, so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt. EQ settings are limited. If we can root this thing, then there will be more options there.

7) Oil temperature in the Ibus app does not work (stuck at 0). It does not appear to be broadcast over the I/K-bus, so I don't think it will ever work unless there's an undocumented command. Apparently the LCM on (some?) E39s broadcasts it, but that's not the case with the E46. It also doesn't seem to read my battery voltage correctly (about .7-.8v high) - that might just be a formula error. Should probably get in touch with the dev.

Also, the I-bus interface is a standard Resler interface, and it seems like we can do whatever we want with it as long as we make/run the right app. In theory anything that was possible on the Intravee should be possible here. The included Ibus app seems to already do most useful things.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 01:19:58 AM   #14
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

You can probably grab the dimming signal from the ashtray connection. I wonder why they don't just use the I-bus for the light signal.
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 03:51:18 AM   #15
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
You can probably grab the dimming signal from the ashtray connection. I wonder why they don't just use the I-bus for the light signal.
I'll give that a try. Pin 12 on the harness is labeled helligkeit which translates to brightness so I might try that too.

How is your Bluetooth connection? Mine cuts out alot. Then again I only attached the wifi antenna so maybe that's it.

Edit:. Which APK did you install? Just installed the latest version from xda and it still crashes.

Last edited by icecream; Mon, Jan-08-2018 at 03:55:58 AM.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 05:24:28 AM   #16
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

My BT cut out once about half an hour into a drive. Connection seemed good and then it suddenly disconnected. Will have to see if it keeps doing that. I saw this old post on Apple's support forums where the one user found it disconnects if the head unit initiates the connection, but stays connected if the phone initiates the connection. I did reconnect from the phone, so i wonder if that's why it didn't cut out again. If that's the case I wonder where the issue lies: my iPhone or the Avin

If the wifi and Bluetooth share antennas, maybe I need a more optimal location (though the wifi signal was really strong; -27dB)

I installed this apk: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-apk-download/

Last edited by terraphantm; Mon, Jan-08-2018 at 05:39:28 AM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 11:08:32 PM   #17
Toxic0n

Canada

Is it possible to extract the iBus app used on this unit? I want to try the apk on my Eonon clone with a Resler interface.

I started work on an iBus app when I was using my Nexus 7 as a head unit but never finished it cause the tablet died. I then got the Android head unit and steering wheel controls worked fine out of the box so I never bothered. If there is a ready to go iBus app, I would love it.

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 11:12:30 PM   #18
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
Is it possible to extract the iBus app used on this unit? I want to try the apk on my Eonon clone with a Resler interface.

I started work on an iBus app when I was using my Nexus 7 as a head unit but never finished it cause the tablet died. I then got the Android head unit and steering wheel controls worked fine out of the box so I never bothered. If there is a ready to go iBus app, I would love it.
http://www.ibus-app.de/english

License is ~10 euros (I don't know if the version Avin included is cracked or if they have a deal to issue licenses... might be why we needed to give a VIN when ordering).

It's too bad it's not open source.
Old Mon, Jan-08-2018, 11:50:03 PM   #19
Toxic0n

Canada

Thanks! They probably use the VIN number for the license check

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-09-2018, 11:22:26 PM   #20
zkc

United States

I got my Avant 3 installed last night. It looks great in the car, but I still can't get the play store or Android Auto to work, any ideas? Thanks...

Also, Avin says an update will hopefully be out this weekend.
Jump to top zkc is offline   Reply With Quote