BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Aug-26-2018, 09:19:44 PM   #151
ATB88

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive Avin Avant 3 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac-cyclist View Post
My review / Rant...

My biggest issue is that the CPU seems way under spec. Music stutters horribly - at first I blamed it on BT but even the embedded Pandora app has stuttering issues, at times it's so bad I stop listening. If I run aftermarket NAV software the issue is MUCH worse so I am relegated to using google maps but then I need a data connection. When I connect via USB there's no way to play over the connection. I have exhaustively looked at all the menus and options and nothing for "Ipod" or USB play. Please point it out of there is one.

Apple CarPlay is completely useless so I now have a $100 white box that's going into the garbage. The performance is HORRIBLE... and unworkable. It should NEVER be offered as an option.

That said it looks OEM, it's biggest selling point. However I could have easily kept the OEM radio and used my Iphone with USB or a BT connection and a mount and been happier.

It is mounted in my ZHP sedan daily - my M3 needs a unit but I am going to wait....
wow wait really? stuttering issues that make music playback unlistenable? could you elaborate? i was about to get one of these but now I'm having second thoughts...
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Aug-26-2018, 10:16:58 PM   #152
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Mine has never stuttered during music playback...

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-26-2018, 11:41:20 PM   #153
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
My spotify only does it very rarely when running a heavy background load. Actually only does it when launching one specific process intensive app. But it lasts 5 sec. and wont happen again if im not luanching app. Doesnt bother me really since it doesnt stutter and apps function smooth nearly all the time.
Generally very happy with it if it lasts and updates dont slow it down over the next 10 years.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-27-2018, 04:11:30 AM   #154
scoopy128

United States

Same here i got the newest now (i think) with the new dac i dint hear any white noise or whine anymore like before. Just need to know how to make the usb out possible so i can directly connect it in the processor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top scoopy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-27-2018, 02:10:23 PM   #155
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Mine occasionally does if Iím listening to something over bluetoooth and WiFi signal is weak (i.e it connects to my home WiFi instead of my phone and Iím driving away). I think itís because the WiFi and Bluetooth share the antenna
Old Mon, Aug-27-2018, 03:54:21 PM   #156
scoopy128

United States

Anyone tried doing usb audio out from their avin? Or anyone tried using a usb dac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top scoopy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-29-2018, 11:09:42 PM   #157
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

My Avant 2 just died and I'm thinking about picking up an Avant 3. For those of you that have purchased one, would you say that the IBUS USB/app was worth the extra $90?

I'm also curious how Apple CarPlay works. I've been looking into CarPlay adapters, and all the ones I've seen have you install an app on the Android head unit and use that to use CarPlay. Is the Avin the same way? If so, could I just order an adapter off Aliexpress and save myself $50?

Here's one for example

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ceBeautifyAB=0
Jump to top youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-30-2018, 03:21:54 AM   #158
lore2486

United States

for anyone thinking of ordering one I asked support when will they become available and supposedly in 3 weeks. They also send me a code for 100$ off

Save $100 OFF with coupon code: 100a30131

Coupon code expires soon.

You can enter the coupon code at the center of the shopping cart page after you have added the Avant3 to the cart.

unfortunately I never found where to apply it and the order went through right after you log in to PayPal. now im waiting on support to hopefully adjust my order. Looking forward to the unit
Old Sat, Sep-01-2018, 06:00:18 PM   #159
youinreverse

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by youinreverse View Post
My Avant 2 just died and I'm thinking about picking up an Avant 3. For those of you that have purchased one, would you say that the IBUS USB/app was worth the extra $90?

I'm also curious how Apple CarPlay works. I've been looking into CarPlay adapters, and all the ones I've seen have you install an app on the Android head unit and use that to use CarPlay. Is the Avin the same way? If so, could I just order an adapter off Aliexpress and save myself $50?

Here's one for example

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ceBeautifyAB=0
One more question for anyone with an Avant 3...

How does this unit do with iPods? The Avant 2 came with a dedicated 30 pin cable, but this one doesn't. I've got an iPod video that I put a 250GB solid state drive into and I'd like to keep it in the glovebox and hook it up and control it through the headunit. Is this possible to do this with the Avant 3?
Jump to top youinreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-11-2018, 01:02:08 AM   #160
Captainc

United States

Does anyone in the Bay Area have one of the newer units installed? I would like to check it out in person before I purchase one...
Jump to top Captainc is offline   Reply With Quote