BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Dec-25-2017, 07:15:37 PM   #1
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Comprehensive Avin Avant 3 Thread

Been cluttering up Obioban's thread, so thought I might as well make a thread with some more generic info.

Product Link: https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...on-system.html

Installation video:

(Some) Specs:
Quote:
Android
Android 6.0 Marshmallow (64bit)

Octa-Core CPU [8-core MT3562 @ 1.3 - 1.6GHz]

2GB RAM (DDR3)

32GB Internal Storage

1 second boot time (from standby) [N.B. by default it can only say in standby for a max of 60 minutes. Normally you're looking at more like 20-30 seconds for boot]

Audio
Hi-Fi Class

4 x 50 W MOSFET Quad Bridge Power Amplifier

10,000uF Capacitor

4Volt Pre-amp 4 Channel RCA Speaker Outputs

4Volt Pre-amp Subwoofer Output

Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0 + LE

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)

Hands-Free Profile (HFP)

Bluetooth OBD2 support for Torque

Supports ValentineOne Radar Detector's V1Connection

Cellular 4G LTE and WiFi Wireless
International Unlocked.

FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Latest firmware release: Avant3_BMW_Update__01-10-2018.zip
Quote:
Changelog:
- We removed the preinstalled Google Search app as it as causing an issue with Google login and Google Play services.
- We removed the preinstalled Google Maps app for the CarPlay guys wanting a lighter software update.
- We included the Google Maps link below as an optional install.

You will need one USB flash drive formatted FAT32 OR a microSD card to complete the system software update. Your USB flash drive OR microSD should be 32GB or smaller.

1. Format your USB flash drive OR microSD to FAT32. You must format the USB flash drive OR microSD BEFORE copying the update files to it.

2. Download the system software update in the link below.

3. UNZIP the downloaded file and copy ONLY the two files "3562f.bin" and "3562f.upd" file to your USB flash drive OR a microSD.

4. Plug in your USB flash drives into any of the USB ports OR a microSD into the sdcard reader.

5. Restart the Avant3 unit. You can restart the unit two ways.

1. Turn off your car and wait 30 seconds.
OR
2. Poke the RESET button that is next to the sd card reader. You must remove the button cover to find the sd card reader and RESET button. The button cover is the last "button" on the right.

6. IMMEDIATELY you MUST tap the touchscreen repeatedly until you see a green font at the top left of the screen that says "detected". If the system boots up without seeing the "detected" message you will have to repeat the reboot again. You have about 1-2 seconds from poking the RESET button to tap on the screen for the system to detect that you want to update the unit.

7. It will take about 15 minutes for the system to complete the update and fully boot up the first time. So be patient the system is not in a boot loop.
Despite the minimal changelog, I've found stability has improved quite a bit and bootup is somewhat faster. I'd recommend everyone install the update if they have issues

Known issues:
  • AV-input / USB connection appears to be miswired
  • Microphone input appears to be miswired (at least on my kit)
  • Unit doesn't switch to night mode if headlight dimmer is set too low (buttons are still illuminated however)
  • BMW I-bus app:
    • Sometimes crashes on boot [fixed with latest update]
    • Displays wrong units for current miles [fixable by installing apk from here]
    • Fuel level in liters even if set to gallons
    • Voltage reads 0.8 - 1.0v high
    • Oil temp not functional on E46s (probably never will be -- can remove from menu by selecting "Fade out" in the settings)
    • E46 coding options not yet implemented
  • If on early firmware:
    • Google Play Services broken [fixed by installing apk or updating firmware]
    • Bluetooth connectivity issues [appears to be fixed with newest firmware]

Mods / tweaks:

Root:
Quote:
  1. Install Terminal Emulator and SuperSu from Play Store.
  2. Download arm64.zip and extract files to /sdcard/
  3. Open terminal and type:

Code:
    su @#zxcvbnmasdfghjklqwertyuiop1234567890,.

mount -o remount,rw /system

cp /sdcard/arm64/su /system/bin/su

chmod 0755 /system/bin/su

cp /sdcard/arm64/su /system/xbin/su

chmod 0755 /system/xbin/su

su --install

su --daemon&

setenforce 0

mount -o remount,ro /system
  4. Open SuperSu app and update Su Binary when it asks as normal.

Use BMW Assist GPS Antenna:
If you have a US-spec car that was equipped with BMW Assist, then you already have a factory GPS antenna. If you want to use that with your Avin, follow the steps below. Also you may as well delete your Assist or pre-existing bluetooth modules. They will no longer function with the Avin in place (also Assist no longer works on BMWs older than MY2013)

You need a male Fakra (C or Z) at one end (in the trunk), and a SMA male connection at the nav unit itself

I used these two together:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antenna-Cab.../142552337377?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15CM-Fakra-.../172854633793?

You could probably also just order this and ask them to make it in the right length (5m seemed sufficient if you run it down the driver's side): https://www.pasternack.com/showProdu...97c&ProductID=

Instructions:
Remove the lower section of your rear seat and the leather panel against the driver side door

Go into your trunk, remove the driver side lining, and locate your GPS connector (should be a blue FAKRA connector) -- connect it like so:

Push the other end through the harness grommet, and pull the wire through from the cabin:

Run the wire along the harness and behind the carpet

Pull the plastic door sill and run the wire along the main harness here: Note the clips on this break pretty easily, especially since these cars are all 12+ years old. Be prepared to buy new clips and possibly a new sill. Also, this is a good opportunity to clean behind there as you can see in my picture it gets quite dirty.

Remove the kick panel and dead pedal. Run the wire behind the dead pedal carpet and up above the panel. Remove your radio and climate/center switch panel if you haven't already.

Using a reacher tool, pull the wire into the center console area. Route it up towards the radio section

Connect the FAKRA to SMA adapter, and screw the SMA connection into your AVIN.

You may notice I'm using a different wifi antenna. You can get a similar one on Amazon here:

I will add more to this post as necessary

Last edited by terraphantm; Wed, Jan-24-2018 at 04:53:04 AM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-25-2017, 07:15:37 PM   #2
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Once I get it running, I think I'll try to write an app that allows some basic coding of various modules (and maybe DME flashing and whatnot). Already somewhat have code working on an android tablet.

As far as OS updates, hopefully this thing isn't completely custom and can be flashed with a custom rom.
Old Mon, Dec-25-2017, 10:24:05 PM   #3
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Once I get it running, I think I'll try to write an app that allows some basic coding of various modules (and maybe DME flashing and whatnot). Already somewhat have code working on an android tablet.

As far as OS updates, hopefully this thing isn't completely custom and can be flashed with a custom rom.
If anyone with this unit up and running can screenshot the "About this Device" section, I can let you know if you can flash a custom ROM to it. If it's like any other Android HU, there's prob. firmware out there and MCU support.

| 2006 M3 ZCP | Silver Grey on Cinnamon | 6MT | 1 of 4 in North America | @SilberGrauM3 |

Last edited by The_Grumpy_Cat; Wed, Dec-27-2017 at 12:17:02 AM.
Jump to top The_Grumpy_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 08:50:30 PM   #4
Toxic0n

Canada

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

Quote:

That's cool, are you doing it via an iBus interface or OBD port? I have a Resler's iBus laying around from my old tablet install, wonder if I can use it for something on my Android headunit.

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 09:30:22 PM   #5
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic0n View Post
That's cool, are you doing it via an iBus interface or OBD port? I have a Resler's iBus laying around from my old tablet install, wonder if I can use it for something on my Android headunit.
I'll have to see how much control we get over the iBus through AVIN's interface. Right now I'm just using a USB OTG adapter with a standard ediabas interface. Eventually I'll probably just use one of those ELM327 bluetooth OBDII adapters. DME flashing would definitely have to use something like that since the DME isn't available over the I/K-bus.
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 01:11:04 AM   #6
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grumpy_Cat View Post
If anyone with this unit up and running can screenshot the "About this Device" section, I can let you know if you can flash a custom ROM to it. If it's like any other Android HU, there's prob. firmware out there and MCU support.
Here's what my unit has:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1611.JPG (533.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1614.JPG (530.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1615.JPG (611.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1616.JPG (550.8 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by terraphantm; Wed, Jan-24-2018 at 04:29:03 AM.
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 07:11:13 AM   #7
The_Grumpy_Cat

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Here's what my unit has:

Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately, the Avant 3 is set up just like any other Android-based head unit and is comprised of two parts. A native OS, in this case, Android 6.0, and an MCU. That MCU Version number is relevant as the MCU is responsible for any task that Android cannot natively handle. Including the audio processing, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, all the media interfaces (i.e. iPods, etc), and the power state (i.e. how the ignition position affects the power of the unit), and more...

Most of these units are MTC units. These units are broken up into variations in hardware in software, where they will be recognized as MTCB, MTCC, MTCD, etc.

As the MCU is so vital to the operation of these units, I feel it should be addressed first. As previously stated, nearly all these units are "MTC"s. the Avant 3, however, is a relatively new "TS" MCU, with little or no support from XDA, or any other community I could find. Not all hope is lost, it looks like some Russian programmers on 4pda have gathered some information on a unit running it, but there's not much to go off of.

Unfortunately, it looks like whatever the Avant 3 is running ROM wise is proprietary, and something with one of these would have to develop something exclusive to the unit...

Otherwise, everything looks good. The use of an A53 here isn't what I'd call ideal, as I've had much better luck with PX5's in-car applications with standby, and sheer processing power, but it is what it is.

Either way, I hope this helps, and I'm sorry there's no definitive support out there at this moment for these units software wise. If something does become available in the future, I'll be sure to post here.

| 2006 M3 ZCP | Silver Grey on Cinnamon | 6MT | 1 of 4 in North America | @SilberGrauM3 |

Last edited by The_Grumpy_Cat; Sat, Jan-06-2018 at 07:14:33 AM.
Jump to top The_Grumpy_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 01:48:15 PM   #8
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Yeah that's about what I found when looking stuff up. I do wish I had a little more control over the unit (specifically I wish it had a more complete bluetooth stack -- would prefer to tether over BT than wifi), but otherwise it seems pretty decent functionally.

Oh yeah regarding performance, I ran Antutu quickly, and got a total score of 38191 (3D: 4713, UX 15042, CPU 13459, RAM 4977). Don't really know if that's good or bad

Last edited by terraphantm; Sat, Jan-06-2018 at 03:58:46 PM.
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 03:53:23 PM   #9
scoopy128

United States

anyone installed it yet? i got mine already i asked tommy what their internal tpms looks like? because when i got the tpms the cap for the tires is huge heheh
Jump to top scoopy128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-07-2018, 08:10:44 AM   #10
usdmej

United States

can anyone comment on the screen gloss in car?