BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Oct-27-2014, 01:27:56 AM   #1
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Default Review | Race Technologies LLC RE10 Brake Pad

Race Technologies LLC RE10 Brake Pad

Introduction
Since picking up my Silver Grey E46 M3, I was truly excited to getting it properly setup for its scheduled track days. The car came equipped with the Brembo GT Big Brake Kit (4pot 380x32mm Front and 4pot 345x28mm Rear). In my former JB E46 M3, I have tried the following track-focussed pads on an otherwise factory brake setup:
  • Hawk HP+
  • PFC 01
  • PFC 06
  • PFC 08
I decided to try a pad that I found dedicated race cars successfully using, the Race Technologies LLC RE10. Race Technologies LLC has been developing a successful friction program for some time now. Although not the most popular option in our E46 M3 community, they have proven themselves in professional and amateur sanctioned racing bodies. As many know, I am all about trying different products out of much intrigue and fascination.

In my research speaking with Ganesh@RaceTechnologiesLLC, Chris@RaceTechnologiesLLC, and Tim@OlsenMotorsports, I was rather marveled at the proclaimed advantages of the RE10 compound. I truly value their professional opinion considering their experience in motorsports, so I pulled the trigger and gave these pads a shot!

Since receiving the RE10s, they have gone through the following track days:
  • 10.11.14 | Road America (4x30min) - Novice Group - Driver: flipm3
  • 10.12.14 | Road America (4x30min) - Novice Group - Driver: flipm3
  • 10.29.14 | Autobahn Country Club Full Course (5 x 25min) - A Group - Driver: Abad46
  • 10.29.14 | Autobahn Country Club Full Course (6 x 25min) - C Group - Driver: flipm3
Brake Pad Wear Data Measurements
DateFrontRearNotes
10.09.1417.9mm14mmBrand new
10.13.1417.1mm13.5mmAfter two full days at RA
10.25.1416.2mm13.1mmAfter one day for two run groups at ABCC Full

My Thoughts
Love them! From all the brake pads I've tried, I truly had the most confidence in these. The two biggest things that set these apart from the rest, which are also great pads, were the two following characteristics:
  • Incredible initial bite, both cold and hot
  • Linear modulation
Road America has three long straights where I was able to reach speeds around 145-147mph and have to slow down to 45-60mph prior to turn-in. Autobahn Country Club Full Course has several medium length straights. Case in point, these tracks are not necessarily easy on the brakes. Despite this, the pads were responsive consistently without hesitation. In every other pad I've had, there was always a sense of uncertainty with initial bite. Having linear modulation was much appreciated when controlling brake loads. On my street Dunlop Direzza ZIIs, these pads can overwork the tire, but thanks to it's proper modulation, it is very easy to be predictable with pedal load application. When I move to R-comps, their friction coefficient will be taken advantage much more!

Pros:
  • Initial bite is the best I've experienced (cold and hot)
  • True linear modulation (not a lot of ramp)
  • Consistency (does not generate a lot of heat)
  • Long lasting (1.8mm of wear up front for four track days!)
  • Low wear on the rotors (no significant measured difference)
Cons:
  • Higher initial cost???
  • Dust
It is tough to call the first 'con' a 'con.' Initial cost is certainly higher, but I predict myself to spend less in the long run due to it's benefits. It's longer lasting, so I probably won't buy pads as often. It generates less heat, so I more than likely won't boil my fluid as quickly as I have with other pads. It is much easier on the rotor rings, so although Brembo rotors have great longevity, I will probably extend their life a tad more. At the end of the day, relying on the brakes without any doubt in itself is priceless.

Photos of Rotor Wear Pattern:
Brembo TypeIII front passenger rotor:

Brembo Cross Drilled rear passenger rotor:

Brembo TypeIII front driver rotor:

Brembo cross drilled rear driver rotor:

Look at the freaking compound! Latest condition after 4 full track 'days' and several hundred miles of street driving.

Just by looking at it, you know it will bite HARD!

2004 E46 M3 6MT | Silver Grey . Cloth | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My E90 M3 Build Thread
2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My E46 M3 Build Thread
2016 981 Cayman 6MT | White . Black | Coming Soon

POST YOUR DYNO GRAPH HERE: The Official Dyno Thread

Last edited by flipm3; Mon, Oct-27-2014 at 05:44:02 AM.
Jump to top flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-27-2014, 02:21:09 AM   #2
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

Default Re: Review | Race Technologies LLC RE10 Brake Pad

Interesting, very well done writeup!

I'd be interested in the views of advanced/instructor/racer level users. Novice drivers just don't use the correct technique 90%+ of the time so the data you have provided is interesting, but not different data is needed for me to contemplate switching. How many thousandths of and inch of rotor wear did you experience?

If they make a size that fits stock calipers, maybe some of the track rats could evaluate them and see how well they handle heat, wear rate, etc.

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-27-2014, 02:33:11 AM   #3
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

I'd be interested in the views of advanced/instructor/racer level users. Novice drivers just don't use the correct technique 90%+ of the time so the data you have provided is interesting, but not different data is needed for me to contemplate switching. How many thousandths of and inch of rotor wear did you experience?

If they make a size that fits stock calipers, maybe some of the track rats could evaluate them and see how well they handle heat, wear rate, etc.
Oh yeah, totally understand where you are coming from! This is exactly why I was pretty excited to pass my keys to Abad46, an individual with much more profound driver experience than me. From his feedback, he seemed to enjoy the pads. He usually drives on slicks, so it was tough for him to make a more concrete comparison since he felt limited by my tire choice.

One of the biggest reasons I gave this pad a shot was because Porsche Club of America 'advanced/instructor/racer level users' highly recommended the Race Technologies LLC brake pad options.

But yeah, it would be awesome if more experienced drivers give this a shot here on M3Forum. The more different opinions (good/bad), the merrier!

When measuring my brand new front Type III Rotors before/after the Autobahn Country Club event, my caliper gauge really couldn't measure any quantitative difference at all.

Thanks for the response.

Old Mon, Oct-27-2014, 07:40:03 PM   #4
Mozgov
Because Rasp Car

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post

Thanks for the write up Alex. I'd be willing to give these pads a shot on the stock e46 m3 system if they offer that sizing.

|Bimmerworld|Turner Motorsport|Supersprint|DiXiS|PFC|APEX|AKG Motorsport|

2004 Infiniti FX35 (Gone)
2002 Infiniti QX4 (Totaled)
Jump to top Mozgov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-27-2014, 08:15:53 PM   #5
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozgov View Post
Thanks for the write up Alex. I'd be willing to give these pads a shot on the stock e46 m3 system if they offer that sizing.
X2 so long as they don't squeak.

Alex?

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-27-2014, 08:22:25 PM   #6
zerotosixty
Search Nazi

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
+1

Initial bite is my only complaint on the PF pads that I have on the car. So if these have nice modulation WITH that initial bite I would like then I will keep my eye out

ZeroToSixty's car journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why m3 View Post
Not everybody Is into tracking because you guys other to each of their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyM3 View Post
Again, just like several of you have proved and myself: it's going to be nothing but a $hitshow until our science is to the height to which we can prove something's there and the time it gets there.

Until then, we must prevent these mistaken pregnancies in the first place
Jump to top zerotosixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-28-2014, 02:44:46 AM   #7
Chris93Si

United States

Just ing over pics now, will read review later
Jump to top Chris93Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-28-2014, 03:29:10 AM   #8
samo6556

United States

Awesome write up Alex! Just from driving your car on the street I could only imagine how good they are on the track. Brake pedal was very solid, nothing like my car has ever been. Since Chris "Abad46" put them through the ringers and the wear is still little I'm sure I'll like these.

Can't wait to pick up a set for next year along with a new set of rotors. I'm sick of going through Hawk brake pads in 1.5 track days haha.
Motion Control 2-way,4.10,Ground control sways,Flossman gtr hood,Flossman CSL Trunk,V-CSL bumper,Supersprint stepped headers,Supersprit mids,Supersprint race,Dinan throttle bodies, Karbonious CSL intake ,PFC BBK ,Fall Line pulleys,Apex EC-7 ,Recaro Profi Xl, OEM CSL Roof.
Jump to top samo6556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Oct-28-2014, 03:42:32 AM   #9
DodgeStratus

United States

A cursory review of the Race Technologies website indicates their pad sizes for the e46 M3 center around all the various Brembo brake kits available for the e46 platform. Didn't see any OEM sized replacement pads.

Looks like Alex has been doing some Brembo based research and buying strategies. Very nice!

Hope they offer something for our cars! I wouldn't be too disappointed with pfc11 consolation prizes :-)

Cool to hear about different products. Thanks

Last edited by DodgeStratus; Tue, Oct-28-2014 at 03:47:46 AM.
Jump to top DodgeStratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-01-2014, 04:47:01 AM   #10
flipm3
E46 M3 | E90 M3

Philippines

Quote:
I spoke with Race Technologies LLC and they are planning on offering OE caliper sized pads hopefully in the future. My understanding is that they are focussing on the new F8X M3/4 first, then progress to the E46 and E9X platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
X2 so long as they don't squeak.

Alex?
These are a track dedicated pad, so they squeak a bit. Less than PFC08, but way more than I'd prefer if I were to run them on the street.

You would be VERY interested in the Race Technologies LLC TS20 Brake Pad. This is their street pad compound. I will be putting up a review on this shortly, but I wanted to run them through the winter a bit longer to have a thorough review. I'll give you a teaser though...

INCREDIBLE INITIAL COLD BITE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerotosixty View Post
+1

Initial bite is my only complaint on the PF pads that I have on the car. So if these have nice modulation WITH that initial bite I would like then I will keep my eye out
Definitely keep an eye out! I am seeing a lot of newer F8X M3/4s running these pads with their Brembo BBKs. So hopefully that means more enthusiasts will put up reviews. But yes, initial bite and practical modulation, the absolute greatest blessings of this pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris93Si View Post
Just ing over pics now, will read review later

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo6556 View Post
Awesome write up Alex! Just from driving your car on the street I could only imagine how good they are on the track. Brake pedal was very solid, nothing like my car has ever been. Since Chris "Abad46" put them through the ringers and the wear is still little I'm sure I'll like these.

Can't wait to pick up a set for next year along with a new set of rotors. I'm sick of going through Hawk brake pads in 1.5 track days haha.
It really means a lot getting your feedback even if it's just from taking it for a cruise on the street. As you noticed, initial bite is insane! A lot of initial bite and release development seems to go into these Race Technologies pads. Seriously changed my life, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeStratus View Post
A cursory review of the Race Technologies website indicates their pad sizes for the e46 M3 center around all the various Brembo brake kits available for the e46 platform. Didn't see any OEM sized replacement pads.

Looks like Alex has been doing some Brembo based research and buying strategies. Very nice!

Hope they offer something for our cars! I wouldn't be too disappointed with pfc11 consolation prizes :-)

Cool to hear about different products. Thanks
Yeah man, hopefully they release OE shape pads in the near future. I can't wait to hand you the keys to my car so you can take it for a good run! You have to try out both the TS20 and RE10....then go buy SS V1 Stepped Headers and Schrick Cams