BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 01:31:23 PM   #41
streetz301
LSB FTW!!!

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

since i know the military will pick up the tab for u i would ship it. The CSL is a nice idea as well but it really depends if ur married or not and who would be the driver of your car mostly while you are stationed in Germany. I know when i left my training school in Pensacola FL to go to Naples Italy, they were going to ship my car for free if i wanted it. At the time i did not feel that was necessary and i really honestly did reget it because i soon had to purchase another car while i was there just to get 2 and from base plus travel up to Rome every week. I would ship but this is just what i would do.

1997 Toyota Celica- totaled
2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V- Sold
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L-Sold
2004 BMW M3 Vert-Sold
2007 Toyota Camry SE-Sold
2014 Ford Fusion S-Wifey
2003 BMW M3 LSB 6 speed navi coupe-DD

upgrades to car: Dice audio, LED corner lights, LED tails, Dealer installed Angel Eyes, matte black grill and badges, window &tail tint
upcomming upgrades: Rims, Vented hood w/ parts painted, CSL Boot w/ parts painted, carbon fiber trim,
Jump to top streetz301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 01:54:50 PM   #42
||||||||||
///M Flight - Europe

In the garage:

United States

Sounds like everyone agrees, the M3 wants to drive on the Autobahn..next question, how do I tell my wife we're leaving her Charger behind?
To answer the question, I am Air Force.

Sounds like my car won't really need any mods when I get over there, so it should be easy. I remember reading a while back that to ship a car to England you need to mod the headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc to comply with their laws. Thats why I thought it might get a little pricey.

One last question: I read somewhere that in order to drive a modded car on German roads you need to have paperwork with the car at all times for each non-oem part stating that it is legal to drive on German roads with that part installed, is this true?

Jump to top |||||||||| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:05:32 PM   #43
SunD3v1L
hi

In the garage:

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
+1 On CSL

Find a good CSL, sell your car. Then try to import the CSL back in the states when you return from your stay, that's if you decide to return.
This.

OP, I know you said selling is out of the question.... but to get a CSL would be sick. Do a 6MT swap...
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:47:11 PM   #44
||||||||||
///M Flight - Europe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunD3v1L View Post
This.

OP, I know you said selling is out of the question.... but to get a CSL would be sick. Do a 6MT swap...
Can you legally import a CSL back into the states?

Jump to top |||||||||| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:48:47 PM   #45
SunD3v1L
hi

In the garage:

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post

Yes.

Edit: doesn't look too easy though.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130441

Last edited by SunD3v1L; Tue, Jun-04-2013 at 02:51:51 PM.
Jump to top SunD3v1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:54:57 PM   #46
RedM3/4

United States

Probably, but when you see what it takes and costs, you likely won't. Glass, headlights, smog, many other things to make it legal, not to mention the paperwork/agencies. There have been several discussion on this, but I think the practical proof is you just don't see it being done hardly ever on this car.
----
Canadian cars don't seem too bad, but I think European cars have gotten really difficult.

ADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 03:09:33 PM   #47
Hrvat

In the garage:

Canada

Why not drive it over there with US plates? Whenever I go to Croatia, I see bunch of people driving around with US/Canadian plates.
Jump to top Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 04:28:11 PM   #48
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...

In the garage:

United States

I met a guy from Germany a few months ago and we were talking about car for hours. He mentioned to me that Germany requires you to "register" all modifications to your car. Not only that, but you are also taxed for the mods. This goes for wheels, brakes, exhaust, anything you change from stock. Not sure how that applies for car you bring over from the states (if modded), but its worth looking into. If you get pulled over in Germany and dont have the paperwork showing your mods are registered, you get fined.

O a brighter note, enjoy Ramstein! I just visited there over the winter holidays and the base is really nice. I hope to get stationed there someday...

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black Built not bought. All DIY!
Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 04:47:42 PM   #49
Hrvat

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
I met a guy from Germany a few months ago and we were talking about car for hours. He mentioned to me that Germany requires you to "register" all modifications to your car. Not only that, but you are also taxed for the mods. This goes for wheels, brakes, exhaust, anything you change from stock. Not sure how that applies for car you bring over from the states (if modded), but its worth looking into. If you get pulled over in Germany and dont have the paperwork showing your mods are registered, you get fined.

O a brighter note, enjoy Ramstein! I just visited there over the winter holidays and the base is really nice. I hope to get stationed there someday...
So cops there know what exactly EVERY car looks in stock form, with different wheel options available from factory?
Jump to top Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 05:10:09 PM   #50
Feuerbach86

United States

Status of Forces Agreement, you will not deal with these issues with the car. The US laws are a bit more stringent as seen in the US model M3... Euro doesnt have cats in the headers, or annoying orange reflectors in the bumper. You will need the triangle and first aid kit, you will not register your mods as you will not register it with germany. Your plate will have a little USA in the center not a D for germany, and you will be issued your plate on base.