BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 01:19:10 AM   #21
PowerBroker
BOOBS
 
PowerBroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,075
Reputation: 0 PowerBroker is on a distinguished road
Location: Austin

United States




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

I'd rather have it maintained by Germans than sitting and rotting stateside. Plus you'll undoubtedly find cool parts over there for it...The cool stuff is a dime a dozen over there and what torture to collect some cool things and sit on them until you get back. You have to take it and Uncle Sam will pay for it...A buddy of mine who is in the service here in TX just shipped his e46 M over...he is looking to get a CSL roof and as much cool stuff as he can find/afford!
__________________
2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Jet Black/Black -- 2001 540i Touring Jet Black/Black
BBS E88 | RECARO | PSS | Brembo GT | Supersprint | Fortune Auto 500 | VCSL | SGT CSL | Karbonius CSL | 4.10

Check out my Build Thread

Jump to top PowerBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 01:52:29 AM   #22
sullybmwm3
Registered User
 
sullybmwm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,092
Reputation: 0 sullybmwm3 is on a distinguished road
Location: OKC

United States




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
Not a LHD csl but it shows you can find them, so no not that hard to find. I didn't look on the German classified, but there were three other csl's for sale in GB. I don't know the OP's financial situation, I'm assuming you don't either. That is why the suggestion to get a csl is plausible so long as he can afford it. When and where else will he ever get the chance to own a real CSL.

£21,000
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...l-2003/1045817

There's a guy that was moving to the States who was planning on selling his CSL. You can read up the thread, there are guys that imported true CSL's, there is a way to do it but it may be a big hassle. Maybe contact him, to see if he's interested in doing a swap of cars plus cash.
http://www.cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10328

I never said anything about what he can or cant afford. I am jsut saying that CSL's arent sitting on every corner to buy. If you wanted to pay 35k for that then why not buy a P-car and do the ring right?

He cant go wrong with taking his car. At worst he sells it or it sits in Germany with him.
Jump to top sullybmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:07:49 AM   #23
cossack
CSL Addict
 
cossack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Age: 34
Posts: 1,282
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 cossack is on a distinguished road
Location: Bay Area, Ca

United States




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullybmwm3 View Post
I never said anything about what he can or cant afford. I am jsut saying that CSL's arent sitting on every corner to buy. If you wanted to pay 35k for that then why not buy a P-car and do the ring right?

He cant go wrong with taking his car. At worst he sells it or it sits in Germany with him.
Which P car are we referring to, anything less then a GT3 won't perform better then the CSL. Last time i checked the CSL was 32k with the price conversion. Assuming he can get let's say 20k for his car, without knowing anything about his car. He would save the 2k in shipping, the headache of confirming with the rules. Last i checked here i found one GT3 for 77k. I'm actually contemplating on picking up an AM Vantage or a P Car. So for the AM is winning as I can't justify owning two track cars. But in any case if the OP can afford the CSL, why not take the opportunity to own one even if it's for a short while. You only live once.

Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times:

911 GT3 - 7:42
M3 CSL - 7:50
911 Carrera S - 7:59
__________________
_________________________________________________


Jump to top cossack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:29:24 AM   #24
Namniek
Registered User
 
Namniek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,730
Reputation: 0 Namniek is on a distinguished road
Location: Tucson

United States




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

If you are not going to sell it then take it with you. DRIVE IT. Keeping miles off a car that is already over 100k miles makes no sense. It's already high mileage. Drive the piss out of it. Enjoy the car, that's why you bought it.
Jump to top Namniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:36:30 AM   #25
RedM3/4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,965
Reputation: 0 RedM3/4 is a jewel in the rough

United States




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

A few financial considerations past shipping/TUV req's:
1. The car is depreciating about $2-3k per year depending on your miles/condition/options, so $6-9k in 3 years. Therefore, it makes almost no sense to store it. Either take it and enjoy it or sell it. You say selling isn't a consideration, but you really should look at financials.
2. I agree with others on driving in Germany and Europe, but again, consider costs.
For comparison sake, driving the Ring is on my bucket list; I'll spend more just getting me and the wife back and forth across the "lake" than you will on shipping/TUV reqs.
I don't know your age, wife/kids/whatever, but this kind of stuff gets WAY harder when those come along until they're gone, so I'd not miss the opportunity part of this while the transportation is there and housing is subsidized.
That doesn't mean you have to keep/ship your current M3, but I'd sure as hell have a way to hit the Ring and a few autobahn weekends - and a river boat trip for that matter - while I was there, while it was easier to do than it will be for decades, AFTER you've made your fortune and can afford it on your own dime.
EDIT* Thank you for your service*

ADS
__________________
98 M3/4, Supersprint catback, UUC red tranny mounts, Rogue SS w/UUC dual selector rod, wired V1.
Sold to my son, still in the family!
06 SMG/ZCP - April 09, Dinan over Konis, RAC RG63, homelink with off-delay (working), multifunction steering wheel buttons, RacingBrake Front kit.

Last edited by RedM3/4; Tue, Jun-04-2013 at 02:38:11 AM. Reason: inline
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:39:43 AM   #26
Colonbuay!
HESSEN ///M3
 
Colonbuay!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 835
Reputation: 0 Colonbuay! is on a distinguished road
Location: Belton

Germany




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

I bought mine while stationed in Kaiserslautern (close to Ramstein) 9 years ago. I didn't read all the comments but your car will be registered through the military and so no big worries. My ///M3 went all over Germany including Switzerland, Lichtenstein, and Austria. I really enjoyed my car there and would take it back in a heart beat. I was lucky both my wife and I were in the military and so the military paid to ship both of my BMWs. Good luck.
__________________
04 TIAg/IR M3 6MT, OEM ZCP wheels
06 Monaco Blue ZSP 330i 6MT
Jump to top Colonbuay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:44:55 AM   #27
sullybmwm3
Registered User
 
sullybmwm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,092
Reputation: 0 sullybmwm3 is on a distinguished road
Location: OKC

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
Which P car are we referring to, anything less then a GT3 won't perform better then the CSL. Last time i checked the CSL was 32k with the price conversion. Assuming he can get let's say 20k for his car, without knowing anything about his car. He would save the 2k in shipping, the headache of confirming with the rules. Last i checked here i found one GT3 for 77k. I'm actually contemplating on picking up an AM Vantage or a P Car. So for the AM is winning as I can't justify owning two track cars. But in any case if the OP can afford the CSL, why not take the opportunity to own one even if it's for a short while. You only live once.

Nürburgring Nordschleife lap times:

911 GT3 - 7:42
M3 CSL - 7:50
911 Carrera S - 7:59
Dude he doesn't have to convert anything.

He also isn't paying to ship his car the government will.

You also need to add VAT. That's. tax they put on stuff. I don't low what it is now, but it gets expensive.

I'm sure getting a GT3 might be more, but like you pointed out who knows what he can afford? I am sure he can find a 911 turbo or something. Driving anything over there is brutal on cars. The winters are pretty harsh on cars and the roads beat the crap out of cars.

Bottom line is if his car stops ok, the lights work and he doesn't have bald tires he is going to get it registered through the DoD.

Having an American spec M3 is still better than most cars on the road. He can also get cool parts and have good mechanics do any work needed.

He loses nothing in taking a car that he said hes going just let sit in the states. Trust me he will be pissed if he left that car in the states.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jump to top sullybmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:46:53 AM   #28
dimi_108
Senior Member
 
dimi_108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Age: 35
Posts: 247
Reputation: 0 dimi_108 is on a distinguished road
Location: Sydney, Australia

Australia




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

Take it with you. You'll be in the military anyway. So a few thousand to get it there won't hurt you.

Just go for it and take it with you.
__________________
Australian E46 ///M3 Owners click here to join the Facebook Group

2003 Le Mans Edition M3 (Pics)
Jump to top dimi_108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 02:47:46 AM   #29
sullybmwm3
Registered User
 
sullybmwm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,092
Reputation: 0 sullybmwm3 is on a distinguished road
Location: OKC

United States




Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
A few financial considerations past shipping/TUV req's:
1. The car is depreciating about $2-3k per year depending on your miles/condition/options, so $6-9k in 3 years. Therefore, it makes almost no sense to store it. Either take it and enjoy it or sell it. You say selling isn't a consideration, but you really should look at financials.
2. I agree with others on driving in Germany and Europe, but again, consider costs.
For comparison sake, driving the Ring is on my bucket list; I'll spend more just getting me and the wife back and forth across the "lake" than you will on shipping/TUV reqs.
I don't know your age, wife/kids/whatever, but this kind of stuff gets WAY harder when those come along until they're gone, so I'd not miss the opportunity part of this while the transportation is there and housing is subsidized.
That doesn't mean you have to keep/ship your current M3, but I'd sure as hell have a way to hit the Ring and a few autobahn weekends - and a river boat trip for that matter - while I was there, while it was easier to do than it will be for decades, AFTER you've made your fortune and can afford it on your own dime.
EDIT* Thank you for your service*

ADS
He doesn't have to worry about any TUV req or shipping. He will deal with the US GOVERNMENT. People bring all kinds or crazy stuff there. Trucks and SUV's that can't fit into parking spaces or down streets were my favorite American car to see driving over there.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jump to top sullybmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-04-2013, 03:15:32 AM   #30
Jonzny
Registered User
 
Jonzny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,834
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Jonzny is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

Take it
__________________

Catless Headers | 8.2k Redline | ST Coilovers | Powerflex RTABS & FCABS
Jump to top Jonzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Moving to Germany, do I take the M3? in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)