BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-14-2014, 03:39:05 PM   #101
cyberlando

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Moving to Germany, do I take the M3?

Anyone else near Wiesbaden
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

Jump to top cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-23-2018, 07:42:24 PM   #102
StahlGrau///M

In the garage:

United States

Thread revival!

So I just got orders to Ramstein as well for 3 years and am debating taking the M. After reading through all of this, I think the right answer is a strong yes. I do have a few questions for the guys who did it though. What were your biggest headaches? I know I'll have to take off my driver/pass window tint, oh well.

Were you able to drive it in the winter there? I currently keep mine garaged as the city likes to use corrosive deicing chemicals but have never driven in the German winter.

The 'ring: I've driven rentals on it, and am dying to take the M on it. How do you do track day insurance over there?

I'm also at an inflection point with the car: I've got SSv1 headers and Magnaflow cats sitting in the garage but don't know whether it's worth just waiting until after my three years to put them on. Couldn't find much in the way of specifics of how many decibels those with a Borla (getting the cats welded in) and a Rogue el Diablo would be, and I'd rather not get flagged for noise (and emissions?) at the initial base inspection. I've got to get into that part of the engine anyways as my CPV is leaking (couldn't get the @#$% thing from underneath the car).

Cheers,
1988 Alpinweiss/Tan 325iX (SOLD)
Jump to top StahlGrau///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-11-2018, 09:04:41 PM   #103
Isi 78

Belgium

You can drive the car in the winter, but wintertyres are obligated by law in Germany.

Window tint you can get away with it if the car stays on US plates, you can tell the cops it's legal in your country.(you can try before taking it off)
I live in Belgium, +/-200km from the ring and here is it illigal, i have a light tint and the cops don't say anything in Belgium or Germany.
Just our yearley obligated technical inspection in Belgium is a problem...

The ring is officialy a tollway, so its a publik road, with the same rules as a public road, so normal insurance is fine.
Your car have to make a lot off noise before you are banned from the ring.
On youtube is a straite pipe M4 that was asked 2 times and they still let him ride one last lap.
Jump to top Isi 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-11-2018, 09:48:13 PM   #104
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by StahlGrau///M View Post
Thread revival!

So I just got orders to Ramstein as well for 3 years and am debating taking the M. After reading through all of this, I think the right answer is a strong yes. I do have a few questions for the guys who did it though. What were your biggest headaches? I know I'll have to take off my driver/pass window tint, oh well.

Were you able to drive it in the winter there? I currently keep mine garaged as the city likes to use corrosive deicing chemicals but have never driven in the German winter.

The 'ring: I've driven rentals on it, and am dying to take the M on it. How do you do track day insurance over there?

I'm also at an inflection point with the car: I've got SSv1 headers and Magnaflow cats sitting in the garage but don't know whether it's worth just waiting until after my three years to put them on. Couldn't find much in the way of specifics of how many decibels those with a Borla (getting the cats welded in) and a Rogue el Diablo would be, and I'd rather not get flagged for noise (and emissions?) at the initial base inspection. I've got to get into that part of the engine anyways as my CPV is leaking (couldn't get the @#$% thing from underneath the car).

Cheers,
Sell and get a euro spec E46 M3 IMO. Or try to find a CSL/some other forbidden fruit if you can swing it. E36 M3 GT would also be cool.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 03:36:05 AM   #105
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post
Sell and get a euro spec E46 M3 IMO. Or try to find a CSL/some other forbidden fruit if you can swing it. E36 M3 GT would also be cool.
Always good to cross shop $25k cars and $125k cars.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 03:35:14 PM   #106
EYEHAVEYOU
Simon

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Always good to cross shop $25k cars and $125k cars.
More like $80-90k USD for a driver CSL these days but I get your point. Then again us enthusiast are an odd bunch, I was looking at cars ranging between $10-80k before I picked up my last one and know I'm not alone in searching a wide budget for interesting cars.

2006 M3 ZCP 6MT - Interlagos Blue /// Imola Red
2005 M3 ZCP 6MT - Alpine White /// Imola Red (Gone)
Jump to top EYEHAVEYOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Oct-13-2018, 11:05:43 PM   #107
fastmonbbs

In the garage:

United States

I just got back from that area after 3 years there. Take the car with you. The Ring is about an hour 15 away, hockenheim 45 minutes and Spa francorchamps little less than 3 hours. You won't regret it! I loved having mine over there. 180+ mph on the autobahn!