BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 05:42:56 AM   #21
hencini
Carlos is My Co-Pilot

United States

Default Re: ASC Delete options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
A cookie. I have been running this set up since 2008, my ABS has NEVER failed.

Huh, good to know. Guess I better get on this...

Edit: Oh, and I was kinda serious about the CD93 thing... I know that has something to do with my car's production code on RealOEM, but beyond that I've never really knew much more than that... Is it DME related or just tied to production date or both?

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Jump to top hencini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 05:44:44 AM   #22
ASC FTL
it only holds back the M POWAAH

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Where did you hear this? I have never heard of this being true.

I have - BMWs way to try and decrease sudden lift off oversteer by decreasing the engine braking effect or something to that extent. It can still cause you to spin out.

Instead of trying to figure out this ill conceived clap-trap it's best to get rid of it. If you want GOOD traction control, get an e46 Just not in the cards for us e36 owners.
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 05:47:23 AM   #23
ASC FTL

In the garage:

United States

Henci - did you see my post on page 2 (at least for me cause I use default settings!)
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 05:50:37 AM   #24
jvit27
TEAM OEM

United States

Like ASC FTL said, remove the throttle body and put the 98 M roadster elbow in place. Leave actuator untouched.

My ASC light is not illuminated, but it is does not function (can spin the wheels whenever I want). ABS works fine, no light either. Car is basically like a 95 - you'd never know the system was there but it's still easily reversible in 5 mins. No resistors necessary.
Jump to top jvit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 05:52:52 AM   #25
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC FTL View Post
I have - BMWs way to try and decrease sudden lift off oversteer by decreasing the engine braking effect or something to that extent. It can still cause you to spin out.
I asked for a source. The ABS/ASC computer affects the airflow into the engine and controls the brakes, the DME does the rest. The ABS/ASC computer does not control ignition timing on the E36.

Find a source if I'm wrong, but I can't see a logical reason for the ABS/ASC computer to have control over ignition timing.
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 05:55:09 AM   #26
ASC FTL

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post
Like ASC FTL said, remove the throttle body and put the 98 M roadster elbow in place. Leave actuator untouched.

My ASC light is not illuminated, but it is does not function (can spin the wheels whenever I want). ABS works fine, no light either. Car is basically like a 95 - you'd never know the system was there but it's still easily reversible in 5 mins. No resistors necessary.

My ASC light came on (personally I got used to seeing it on as i used to turn it off all the time anyway)

It should have for you as well, unless your bulb burned out at the same exact time The only way to keep the ASC light off after this mod is to

1) remove the bulb
2)use black tape
3)reprogram the ecu
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 05:57:46 AM   #27
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Where did you hear this? I have never heard of this being true.

Either way, when you throw the resistor in, it tricks the ASC into thinking the actuator is nonfunctional, and so the timing wouldn't be affected anyway. If it didn't, and your actuator failed, your motor would explode. BMW wouldn't let the car do that.
Bentley Manual. See attachment. Read the part in italics at the top of the page before you respond that it's talking about AST.

And with regard to the resistor. I was under the impression that it tricks the computer into thinking that it's *there*, as opposed to nonfunctional. The guy who first proposed that just got a multimeter, measured the resistance of the actuator in a position of rest, and shoved the resistor in there in place of the actuator. How does it simulate the actuator being nonfunctional?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hencini View Post
Huh, good to know. Guess I better get on this...

Edit: Oh, and I was kinda serious about the CD93 thing... I know that has something to do with my car's production code on RealOEM, but beyond that I've never really knew much more than that... Is it DME related or just tied to production date or both?
Take a look at your VIN.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 4.png (220.9 KB, 185 views)

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 06:02:20 AM   #28
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

I would think that if you disable the ASC system with the resistor, it wouldn't touch the timing at all. It would be pretty noticeable if the timing suddenly retarded when my rear wheels began to spin. Also, the light comes on when the system is off or nonfunctional, when you use a resistor, the light comes on. So therefore, I don't view it as much of a risk.

I'm still not convinced the ASC computer actually controls the timing, I think it just tells the DME to retard or advance the timing and the DME does so within safe parameters.
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 06:03:50 AM   #29
hencini
Carlos is My Co-Pilot

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Take a look at your VIN.

Huh. I'll be damned. So what does that have to do with the ASC discussion?

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Jump to top hencini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 06:05:37 AM   #30
ASC FTL

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I asked for a source. The ABS/ASC computer affects the airflow into the engine and controls the brakes, the DME does the rest. The ABS/ASC computer does not control ignition timing on the E36.

Find a source if I'm wrong, but I can't see a logical reason for the ABS/ASC computer to have control over ignition timing.
Roland we should keep this on the DL, because so far you've been right about everything else

http://www.steerbythrottle.com/hccyo.../E36_ASC+T.pdf

"ignition control" - this document explains very well what the ASC was designed to do.

I don't recall where I read all this originally, but I researched the ASC+T pretty thoroughly before messing with it.