BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:22:34 AM   #11
hencini
Carlos is My Co-Pilot

United States

Default Re: ASC Delete options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Thanks for the reply, that mod may be a happy medium if I can't find a better way of deleting the system completely (I have a boot, and i'd like to just get it out of there altogether if I can find a way of doing that without any downsides). Good info to know.

Yeah, I hear you. I *really* want to do the boot, but I'm totally unwilling to lose the braking and/or stability functions of the ASC+T or develop any ABS bugs, especially living in a snow/ice state and all...

Right now, removing the plate from the ASC TB sounds the most appealing. Definitely update if you learn anything else...

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Jump to top hencini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:24:34 AM   #12
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

If you leave the actuator plugged in, but eliminate the throttle body, you'll retain the rear stability control, but the traction control will be disabled. Pretty sweet actually.

Only way to do it "right" besides that or the resistor would be to convert to 3 channel, but that's a total pita and not easily reversed.
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:27:15 AM   #13
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hencini View Post
Yeah, I hear you. I *really* want to do the boot, but I'm totally unwilling to lose the braking and/or stability functions of the ASC+T or develop any ABS bugs, especially living in a snow/ice state and all...

Right now, removing the plate from the ASC TB sounds the most appealing. Definitely update if you learn anything else...
Here's my 2 biggest problems with ASC delete:
1) People have reportedly haz issues with the ABS system as a result of messing with it.

2) The ASC computer communicates with the DME, and among other things, it messes with ignition timing in certain circumstances. I have a hard time throwing a resistor in to fool a computer that may mess with my ignition timing based on false inputs.

It honestly doesn't look like there's a way out of this that's totally consequence free. I'll do some more looking at the schematics in the Bentley book, but i'm not seeing any way to separate the systems that hasn't already been mentioned.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:29:15 AM   #14
ASC FTL
it only holds back the M POWAAH

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I want to get rid of this. I'm sick of turning it off every time I start the car up

My criteria:
-I want ABS left intact
-I want the ABS system to remain 100% reliable
-I want the mod to be reversible.

I did a LOT of reading on BFC about this, and i'm not sure if what I want is even possible.

Thanks in advance dudes.
You're in luck, it's super easy.

Buy the boot, and remove the ASC throttle body. Done.

ASC light ON (because it's turned off, like you do with the button every time) ABS light OFF, because it's totally unaltered and 100% functional! This is tested and verified by me. Cheers!
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:30:00 AM   #15
ASC FTL

In the garage:

United States

EXTRA INFO FOR FUN:

All the ABS problems start when you unplug the ACTUATOR, not the TB. No actuator resistance = ABS light, and ABS is disabled for no real reason. So the easiest thing is to take the ASC throttle cable and tuck it out of the way, and leave the actuator where it is. It will never actuate again because ASC will be off every start up by default.

Now, if you feel adventurous and want some extra space under the hood you can do the resistor mod and remove the actuator too. It's hardly noticeable though. Save your parts and this mod is always reversible!

Ps. ASC can seriously get you in trouble - sudden lift off oversteer, no es bueno... Many stories floating around of forgetting to turn this thing off at a track event and eating hard crap on a fast sweeper. It's even worse in the rain.

OH and the best part - when you take the ASC TB out, look at it straight on. The damn throttle plate is always an oval because of the angle! You NEVER put a throttle plate in the middle of a bend, never, always a straight section - and BMW did it You'll get a ton of throttle response and even some high end if you can use it (s50 and raised redline) Chalk this one up to the same engineer that came up with the CDV!

BMW's next effort dubbed DSC (dynamic instead of automatic) is actually useful because it takes into account things like steering angle and only uses one straight throttle body so there isn't a restriction... The two aren't comparable really and I would leave it alone if I had an e46 M.
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:33:08 AM   #16
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

BTW Nick, I have unplugged the actuator in my car, I have the resistor, my ASC light is on, and MY ABS WORKS!

Since you're a fellow CD93, it shouldn't be much different for you. Try it, you can go back to stock easily.
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:35:55 AM   #17
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

Quote:
2) The ASC computer communicates with the DME, and among other things, it messes with ignition timing in certain circumstances.
Where did you hear this? I have never heard of this being true.

Either way, when you throw the resistor in, it tricks the ASC into thinking the actuator is nonfunctional, and so the timing wouldn't be affected anyway. If it didn't, and your actuator failed, your motor would explode. BMW wouldn't let the car do that.
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:37:06 AM   #18
hencini
Carlos is My Co-Pilot

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
BTW Nick, I have unplugged the actuator in my car, I have the resistor, my ASC light is on, and MY ABS WORKS!

Since you're a fellow CD93, it shouldn't be much different for you. Try it, you can go back to stock easily.

I am a CD93... Like my father before me...

Okay, j/k about my dad, but I *am* a CD93. What does that get me?

Also, how long have you been running this setup? I'm tempted to do it for summertime but put it back in once it gets cold...

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Jump to top hencini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:37:28 AM   #19
ASC FTL

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

You guys are all in one place and not on the same page! It's so much easier than it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
If you leave the actuator plugged in, but eliminate the throttle body

Even if you can't use the slightly better top end with a skinny mani and redline, you get a bunch of throttle response which is so nice on a manual PLUS you don't have to turn it off every time, because i don't know about you guys but the car just felt awkward when that thing was enabled. It's quite comparable to the CDV. Someone designed a sweet M3 and then someone else nerfed it for perceived safety and people who have foot seizures while driving
Old Tue, Apr-12-2011, 04:40:32 AM   #20
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

Quote:
I am a CD93... Like my father before me...

Okay, j/k about my dad, but I *am* a CD93. What does that get me?

Also, how long have you been running this setup? I'm tempted to do it for summertime but put it back in once it gets cold...
A cookie. I have been running this set up since 2008, my ABS has NEVER failed.