BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Aug-31-2018, 08:46:58 PM   #41
JClopes
Registered Loser

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Possible to drive a 95 M3 in Pennsylvania during winter?

Done it for years on summer tires. You just need to finesse the gas peddle.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Sep-10-2018, 03:30:52 AM   #42
epj2.9

United States

Drove every winter in central PA, with some quite significant weather and with a job that absolutely required me to get to work, between 2006 and about 2014. Winter tires and a working limited slip are key, but it's really an art to driving these cars in the snow. Ripped out traction control about two months after I bought it and never needed it because given some experience, it's quite easy to drive in the winter.

That said, I absolutely wouldn't do it again. I would have bought an old beater 4wd vehicle, or just owned something besides the M3. I had the advantage of much less traffic and back farm roads to learn how to drive the car in the snow. Except for rural areas, that's no longer an options -- and today, these cars aren't worth enough that insurance companies won't just total it if you filed a claim.
Jump to top epj2.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-10-2018, 03:52:21 PM   #43
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek2079 View Post
I’m looking at buying a 95 M3 5 speed. I just moved to Pennsylvania and I heard the streets are hard to drive on here in the winter.

I lived in Utah and I know that with good snow tires on a front wheel drive car it drives good.

I’m wondering if I can buy some good snow tires and get away with driving in Pennsylvania winters.
Where in PA? It's a big state...some areas can have a mild to medium winter and some can be brutal. It also depends on how flat it is where you live and what your commute home is like.

For instance, where I live I could do it. Where my brother lives (a couple miles away) it wouldn't be possible because of the rural roads and his steep driveway.
Old Mon, Sep-10-2018, 06:21:52 PM   #44
DesktopDave

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EY84002 View Post
Where in PA? It's a big state...some areas can have a mild to medium winter and some can be brutal. It also depends on how flat it is where you live and what your commute home is like.

For instance, where I live I could do it. Where my brother lives (a couple miles away) it wouldn't be possible because of the rural roads and his steep driveway.
He doesn't have to worry about driving an M3 in the winter any more...I bought the car from him last week.

I hope he gets another one though, this one is actually an automatic. He ended up putting some Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 snow tires on the car, IIRC they're 225/45 R17s.

With any luck I'll be testing them out this winter.

Last edited by DesktopDave; Mon, Sep-10-2018 at 06:27:54 PM.
Jump to top DesktopDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-10-2018, 07:54:08 PM   #45
EY84002

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesktopDave View Post
He doesn't have to worry about driving an M3 in the winter any more...I bought the car from him last week.

I hope he gets another one though, this one is actually an automatic. He ended up putting some Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 snow tires on the car, IIRC they're 225/45 R17s.

With any luck I'll be testing them out this winter.
Ok, I'm confused. OP says he was looking to possibly buy a 5spd but you say you bought an automatic from him last week?
Old Sat, Sep-15-2018, 07:32:48 PM   #46
DesktopDave

In the garage:

United States

I know; I'm confuised too. I think he owned the '97 automatic for a few years. He did put some Blizzaks on the car I bought from him, I guess he was testing it out last season.

I hope he's still looking for that 5-speed M3...even with that balky automatic transmission, at 240K miles, probably on its last legs, it's a really fun car!
Jump to top DesktopDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-26-2018, 03:35:08 AM   #47
Renewingmind
Gearhead

United States

As someone who lives in Central PA and dailies an M3 Iíd recommend against it. First off, we donít have snow consistently, so snow tires will wear very quickly. Second, itís COLD here. I found my passenger door didnít close because the mechanism froze, and I had to use my wifeís hair dryer to get my door to close all the way. That was fun.

If youíve ever driven in snow you know what you really want is front wheel drive and skinny tires. This has big wide tires, rear wheel drive, and lots of power. Itís not impossible, but itís far, far from ideal.

Joel
Jump to top Renewingmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-27-2018, 01:22:41 PM   #48
epj2.9

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renewingmind View Post
As someone who lives in Central PA and dailies an M3 Iíd recommend against it. First off, we donít have snow consistently, so snow tires will wear very quickly. Second, itís COLD here. I found my passenger door didnít close because the mechanism froze, and I had to use my wifeís hair dryer to get my door to close all the way. That was fun.

If youíve ever driven in snow you know what you really want is front wheel drive and skinny tires. This has big wide tires, rear wheel drive, and lots of power. Itís not impossible, but itís far, far from ideal.

Joel
Weird, in my 8 or 9 winters of DD'ing the M3, I never experienced a problem with winter tires wearing out quickly. They're still worth it because the weather is frequently below 40 degrees where winter tires have an advantage. I think I went through two sets. Get an alignment.

Fix your door mechanism. A problem with your particular car doesn't automatically translate to all remaining e36's. I would suggest silicone spray in the lock mechanism before winter, though.

That said, I agree that it's not ideal. Despite spending full days detailing the car, the paint went from 9/10 condition to 3/10 - mostly because of winters and PA road construction...
Jump to top epj2.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-27-2018, 09:09:55 PM   #49
frbz

How long winter tires last really comes down to the brand. Using winter tires for more than 30 years in my experience
Blizzaks<michelin Xice 1,2,3<nokian Hakkapellitta
The blizzaks last at most 1 season and I can get 3 to 4 out of a set of Hakkas
Jump to top frbz is offline   Reply With Quote