BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Thu, Aug-23-2018, 08:49:50 PM   #691
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,385
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Agree that the bushing is rubber and allows movement, however with that twist you have it in, it is applying a constant force to one side.

Not sure if it can be adjusted from top. IIRC, it is riveted/welded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaikenstein View Post
My only reservation about that theory is that the linkage connecting to the fork allows for the shifter to pivot left and right. The geometry would need to result in some sort of twisting force.

Iím wondering if I can adjust the bracket from the top?
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-23-2018, 09:03:52 PM   #692
Blaikenstein
Registered User
 
Blaikenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 179
Reputation: 0 Blaikenstein is on a distinguished road
Location: Denver

United States




Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Agree that the bushing is rubber and allows movement, however with that twist you have it in, it is applying a constant force to one side.

Not sure if it can be adjusted from top. IIRC, it is riveted/welded?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Makes sense for sure. I mounted mine with bolts so I should be able to get creative. Worst case Iíve dropped the trans 3 times now so itís leisurely 9 hour project.
Jump to top Blaikenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-23-2018, 09:07:01 PM   #693
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,385
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaikenstein View Post
Makes sense for sure. I mounted mine with bolts so I should be able to get creative. Worst case Iíve dropped the trans 3 times now so itís leisurely 9 hour project.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-07-2018, 10:17:06 PM   #694
ATB88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 198
Reputation: 0 ATB88 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Went under the car the other day for the first time since completing the swap to change some fluids out, including the transmission fluid.

To my dismay, the transmission had a bit of fluid dripping from the bottom. Followed the trail and it seems like it's a very slow leak coming from the gear position sensor at the top rear of the transmission.

When we installed the GPS, we screwed it in very tightly so as to avoid any possible leak, and yet, here we are. Not sure how/why it's happening.

Anyone else ever deal with a leak from the GPS after your swap? Any way to deal with it without dropping the transmission? It's a veeeery tight spot...

When installing, I thought it kind of strange that there was no kind of crush washer or anything to seal the GPS against the transmission.. could putting one in be a possible solution? Or would that make the GPS not thread deep enough into the transmission to function effectively??

Last edited by ATB88; Fri, Sep-07-2018 at 10:44:11 PM.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-08-2018, 02:24:33 AM   #695
mrgizmo04
Registered User
 
mrgizmo04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,385
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mrgizmo04 is on a distinguished road
Location: Menlo Park

United States




Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
Went under the car the other day for the first time since completing the swap to change some fluids out, including the transmission fluid.

To my dismay, the transmission had a bit of fluid dripping from the bottom. Followed the trail and it seems like it's a very slow leak coming from the gear position sensor at the top rear of the transmission.

When we installed the GPS, we screwed it in very tightly so as to avoid any possible leak, and yet, here we are. Not sure how/why it's happening.

Anyone else ever deal with a leak from the GPS after your swap? Any way to deal with it without dropping the transmission? It's a veeeery tight spot...

When installing, I thought it kind of strange that there was no kind of crush washer or anything to seal the GPS against the transmission.. could putting one in be a possible solution? Or would that make the GPS not thread deep enough into the transmission to function effectively??
Could put some teflon/pipe sealer tape on the threads. Maybe can get at it with open end wrench, but yeah, it's tight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
'85 528e 164k miles (sold)
'05 M3 6MT coupe

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)