BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 04:34:35 AM   #1
Vad3r

In the garage:

United States

Default Introduction and Advice Seeking

Hello and greetings to all! I have been reading and looking through countless threads on the forum for quite some time now. I have actually been doing it since before purchasing my first M3 this past week! It is a jet black 6MT 2005 M3 with a black leather interior. The car had 2 previous owners and currently has 120K miles. The car does not have a CEL and runs beautifully. Prior to purchase I checked the rear subframe mounts as best as I could with no NOTICEABLE cracks.

I completed an oil change after bringing her home and plan on doing the following...

A full suspension refresh, involving PowerFlex bushings for all components. I also plan on purchasing a set of BC coil-overs since the current suspension has reached the end of its life...

I also plan on getting the subframe inspected much more closely and reinforcing it, as well as getting a valve adjustment.

My biggest fear as of right now, is the VANOS. There are currently no funny noises being made, but I'm afraid the mileage may have caused some wear on the seals, which I consider changing. I just want to try my best to prevent large issues from arising.

As the title of the thread states, I guess this is me introducing myself with hopes of being an active member here and just looking for some overall advice from the elders!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0661.jpg (222.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0537.jpg (227.7 KB, 85 views)
Jump to top Vad3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 04:37:29 AM   #2
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Introduction and Advice Seeking

Where are you located? Dan (DanAvoN7) did mine and did an amazing job. I'm also running BC's and they're pretty decent and does the job. I would definitely get your subframe inspected though because you usually can't see the small/hairline cracks until you actually start taking things apart. Looks like a clean car otherwise!

Last edited by Kwakjoe; Sat, Jan-20-2018 at 05:55:58 AM.
Jump to top Kwakjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 05:27:02 AM   #3
///ALpineVert

United States

Sweet ride! Welcome to the club. There are so many great people here that will help you along the way.

Get that sucker out on a track or autocross, it will enhance the experience and empty the wallet, lol. You did buy an m3 so the wallet part is a given. Enjoy!!
Jump to top ///ALpineVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 07:32:07 AM   #4
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

You certainly joined the right community - the people here have a sum total practical knowledge of these machines that probably surpasses the engineers at BMW.

Good luck, and enjoy!

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
60k mile Service II, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune, Schrick CSL Cam, Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 02:15:32 PM   #5
SocratesRising
Chess is King

In the garage:

United States

Lock down VANOS going Besian route. Check stickies. Enjoy car.

Slicktop * Cloth Seats * AS SSK * Besian

2018 Mercedes Benz E63S Edition 1 Night Black Magno
2018 Porsche GTS Cabriolet Carmine Red
2017 Audi R8 V10 Suzuka Gray
2016 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
2002 BMW M3 Imola Red

“All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed
in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.”

― Winston S. Churchill
Jump to top SocratesRising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 03:36:39 PM   #6
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Yup, this place for all your VANOS stuff - take your time, do a valve adjustment, chain guide, vanos line, plugs, etc.

http://www.beisansystems.com/

What are your goals for the car? Refreshing with stock equipment may be nicer for a DD rather than coilovers/ poly mounts
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 04:30:07 PM   #7
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vad3r View Post
Hello and greetings to all! I have been reading and looking through countless threads on the forum for quite some time now. I have actually been doing it since before purchasing my first M3 this past week! It is a jet black 6MT 2005 M3 with a black leather interior. The car had 2 previous owners and currently has 120K miles. The car does not have a CEL and runs beautifully. Prior to purchase I checked the rear subframe mounts as best as I could with no NOTICEABLE cracks.

I completed an oil change after bringing her home and plan on doing the following...

A full suspension refresh, involving PowerFlex bushings for all components. I also plan on purchasing a set of BC coil-overs since the current suspension has reached the end of its life...

I also plan on getting the subframe inspected much more closely and reinforcing it, as well as getting a valve adjustment.

My biggest fear as of right now, is the VANOS. There are currently no funny noises being made, but I'm afraid the mileage may have caused some wear on the seals, which I consider changing. I just want to try my best to prevent large issues from arising.

As the title of the thread states, I guess this is me introducing myself with hopes of being an active member here and just looking for some overall advice from the elders!
No idea were you are at, but if you are in Sacramento area I have a good guy for you to do the VANOS.

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Rally Road/P0lar Adapters, SS Brake Lines, Motul 600,Hawk HT-10 Pads, Braille Lightweight Battery, Hotchkis Sway Bars, SR2 CF Sunroof Panel,Apex ARC-8 & Sportline CS8's, Recaro Sportser CS Seats,SAP delete,Lightweight Cabin Filter Housing, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk, Modified Stock Muffler
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 04:55:41 PM   #8
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Welcome and congrats!

There’s a lot of diy’s on this forum for maintenance you mentioned and there’s also members that are willing to help if you are local or could lead you in the right direction for reputable indy shops.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 09:13:09 PM   #9
Vad3r

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Yup, this place for all your VANOS stuff - take your time, do a valve adjustment, chain guide, vanos line, plugs, etc.

http://www.beisansystems.com/

What are your goals for the car? Refreshing with stock equipment may be nicer for a DD rather than coilovers/ poly mounts
In all honesty, I plan on keeping the car as clean as possible. My main goal is to perform all preventative maintenance while very lightly, yet tastefully, modding to enjoy some windy roads not too far from home. Any experience with poly mounts?
Old Sat, Jan-20-2018, 09:17:31 PM   #10
Vad3r

In the garage:

United States

For those who asked, I am located in Fairfield County in Connecticut! If any of you have suggestions for shops or individuals who can adjust valves and do VANOS work, please send their info my way.

Also, thanks for the warm welcoming and quick replies! I'm already glad I introduced myself.