BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-04-2018, 01:48:45 AM   #71
cncmastr
M-Texture Alcantara

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

How hard would it to be to “emulate” the old interface of the stock nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Collection of my DIY Guides here
Jump to top cncmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-04-2018, 02:28:26 AM   #72
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

Looks like mine will be here Friday! Too bad there was a warehouse mixup and I got sent the wrong climate control relocate panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
How hard would it to be to “emulate” the old interface of the stock nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but I doubt anyone has made such a thing... so it depends on how good you are at coding and UI design I suppose.
Old Thu, Jan-04-2018, 10:37:46 PM   #73
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I feel stupid for not realizing it sooner, but the bottom "button" on the right side is actually a dummy cover for the SD card slot (which you can put back on with the SD card inserted).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0464.jpg (91.0 KB, 704 views)

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-04-2018, 11:23:31 PM   #74
BlazenXLT
We've had one yes, what about second breakfast?

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I did get the carplay unit.

Haven’t really made any progress on this because it’s been in the single digits (F) every day and my garage furnace decided to not work anymore.
I have a couple of bronco projects pending, but this weather is really killing the motivation.
Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 10:10:12 PM   #75
wiry

United States

Subscribed.
Old Fri, Jan-19-2018, 03:35:45 AM   #76
norcal420
mass nerder

In the garage:

United States

Ian needs to seriously fix his garage furnace...
Jump to top norcal420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-24-2018, 04:32:16 AM   #77
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Cleaned up this thread a bit and moved a lot of the discussion unrelated to Obioban's project to another thread.
Old Fri, Feb-09-2018, 03:46:08 AM   #78
sdaz

United States

Not to jump the gun on Obioban (but I am), but here in Phoenix, Arizona, I don't need to wait for the garage to warm up. I want to get this installed before it's too warm! (And this post needed a bump.)

I am installing the Avant3 in a 2006 M3 with factory Nav & HK amplifier/speakers. I have pulled apart the driver's side of the trunk and have disconnected & removed the following:
  • Business Radio (remote box in trunk)
  • GPS Nav System disc player (trunk mounted)
  • Dash display component w/ CD disc player (dash mounted Nav radio)
I've completed the following connections:
  1. Fakra extension cable with adapter into the Avant3 Main Harness Port
  2. Fakra extension cable with the appropriate adapter into the cable removed from the trunk mounted Business Radio
  3. AM/FM antenna extension cable into the upper most AM/FM connection on the Avant3
  4. Other end of the AM/FM antenna extension cable into the antenna cable removed from the trunk mounted Business Radio
    *** NOTE: With the connections above, I had music via FM radio ***
  5. Dedicated USB cable into the upper round USB port on the Avant3
  6. USB on the Fakra extension adapter into the Dedicated USB cable
  7. Canbus cable/adapter into the Canbus port on the Avant3
  8. WiFi antenna into the Avant3
With connections #5-#8 I gained:
volume control via the steering wheel
outside temp displayed on the OBC on the radio
internet browsing using Chrome after connecting to WiFi
I'm an Apple person, so I still need to learn how to navigate through the Android system. I also plan to install the upgrade that I received from Avin.

Even before installing the upgrade on the radio, I tried to pair my iPhone to the radio, and noticed that I was still paired with the car via the original Bluetooth link.

So, now my question is:

Can I remove the BMW Everest IBUS component on the top of the stack in the trunk?

This is the Telematics Control Unit, TCU, which I assume is the component that I have been previously pairing my phone to. I'm also thinking that this might also be for the BMW Assist feature. It has 2 antenna connections, one running up to the fin on the back of the roof (cellular), and other one which I think may be a remote Bluetooth antenna supposedly located somewhere near the center console.

Any thoughts on the TCU removal?

Jeff S.
Jump to top sdaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-09-2018, 12:19:11 PM   #79
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaz View Post
Not to jump the gun on Obioban (but I am), but here in Phoenix, Arizona, I don't need to wait for the garage to warm up. I want to get this installed before it's too warm! (And this post needed a bump.)

I am installing the Avant3 in a 2006 M3 with factory Nav & HK amplifier/speakers. I have pulled apart the driver's side of the trunk and have disconnected & removed the following:
  • Business Radio (remote box in trunk)
  • GPS Nav System disc player (trunk mounted)
  • Dash display component w/ CD disc player (dash mounted Nav radio)
I've completed the following connections:
  1. Fakra extension cable with adapter into the Avant3 Main Harness Port
  2. Fakra extension cable with the appropriate adapter into the cable removed from the trunk mounted Business Radio
  3. AM/FM antenna extension cable into the upper most AM/FM connection on the Avant3
  4. Other end of the AM/FM antenna extension cable into the antenna cable removed from the trunk mounted Business Radio
    *** NOTE: With the connections above, I had music via FM radio ***
  5. Dedicated USB cable into the upper round USB port on the Avant3
  6. USB on the Fakra extension adapter into the Dedicated USB cable
  7. Canbus cable/adapter into the Canbus port on the Avant3
  8. WiFi antenna into the Avant3
With connections #5-#8 I gained:
volume control via the steering wheel
outside temp displayed on the OBC on the radio
internet browsing using Chrome after connecting to WiFi
I'm an Apple person, so I still need to learn how to navigate through the Android system. I also plan to install the upgrade that I received from Avin.

Even before installing the upgrade on the radio, I tried to pair my iPhone to the radio, and noticed that I was still paired with the car via the original Bluetooth link.

So, now my question is:

Can I remove the BMW Everest IBUS component on the top of the stack in the trunk?

This is the Telematics Control Unit, TCU, which I assume is the component that I have been previously pairing my phone to. I'm also thinking that this might also be for the BMW Assist feature. It has 2 antenna connections, one running up to the fin on the back of the roof (cellular), and other one which I think may be a remote Bluetooth antenna supposedly located somewhere near the center console.

Any thoughts on the TCU removal?

Jeff S.
No reason to leave the TCU behind.

I don't think you're jumping the gun on me, unless I'm misreading-- sounds like you're just doing a normal install? As in, not pulling out the stereo wiring harness.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote