BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 09:24:59 PM   #131
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 (S54) detailed valve adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Directly in reference to this topic :

YES- Am sure more accurate readings on a compression test are given once valves are in spec. That said, how OFF can test results be prior to doing adjustment.

Also does valve cover gasket need to replace each time? Thanks guys!
Hard to give absolute psi value that might show up on the compression test. Way too many variables, so it could vary from none/0psi if shims are proper sized or undersized, no carbon buildup, valve seats and faces with no/low wear to many psi if valve faces don't properly meet the seats (which might not always be corrected by simply using a proper shim/adjustment).

For valve cover gasket, if you have proper viton gasket, it can be reused, other should probably be replaced as they are more "single use" and might leak if reused.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Happy to help with VANOS or any other DIY job around NorCal
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 09:40:51 PM   #132
Exclusivs

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Hard to give absolute psi value that might show up on the compression test. Way too many variables, so it could vary from none/0psi if shims are proper sized or undersized, no carbon buildup, valve seats and faces with no/low wear to many psi if valve faces don't properly meet the seats (which might not always be corrected by simply using a proper shim/adjustment).

For valve cover gasket, if you have proper viton gasket, it can be reused, other should probably be replaced as they are more "single use" and might leak if reused.

That definitely didn't complicate things

Sounds as though : compression test IN CURRENT STATE
Jump to top Exclusivs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-15-2018, 06:12:52 AM   #133
applebook

United States

Thanks a lot for this guide. I was quoted $1000 CDN from a very good shop for an adjustment with all parts included. At this rate, it's worth it for me to attempt this myself since it can be done in one day, and I can save $900 after taxes. Plus I want to learn more about my car.

Please confirm if this ECS kit has all of the parts AND TOOLS that I need to follow this guide thoroughly:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...300493743~kt2/
Jump to top applebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-15-2018, 06:34:22 AM   #134
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post
Thanks a lot for this guide. I was quoted $1000 CDN from a very good shop for an adjustment with all parts included. At this rate, it's worth it for me to attempt this myself since it can be done in one day, and I can save $900 after taxes. Plus I want to learn more about my car.

Please confirm if this ECS kit has all of the parts AND TOOLS that I need to follow this guide thoroughly:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...300493743~kt2/
Wow, that is an expensive quote...

I want to be clear with my answer to your question about ECS kit...it has the parts and tools needed to perform the actual valve adjustment (sans micrometer to measure shims), however, these are not ALL the tools needed. It obviously does not come with any of the tools in the "Tools needed" section of the first post, to for example, remove the valve cover or rotate the engine, or even measure the shims (no micrometer in the kit), since it doesn't have the ratchets, box/open end wrenches, etc. Might be obvious, but I wanted to be clear, since you bolded "AND TOOLS" after using "all" in your question...

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.

Last edited by mrgizmo04; Tue, May-15-2018 at 06:42:32 AM.
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 03:41:15 PM   #135
S-W0rks

United States

Great write up! I am picking up my new (to me) E46 M3 tomorrow. This is probably going to be the first thing I do to it. The car has 107k miles on it, after pulling everything to do the valve adjustment I am wondering if there is anything I should just go ahead and replace since I am in there?

Obviously, I will replace anything that is obviously worn (i.e. belts, hoses, etc...)

Worth it to change water pump, thermostat, xxx? Go ahead and do Vanos check/update as well?
Jump to top S-W0rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 04:02:41 PM   #136
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-W0rks View Post
Great write up! I am picking up my new (to me) E46 M3 tomorrow. This is probably going to be the first thing I do to it. The car has 107k miles on it, after pulling everything to do the valve adjustment I am wondering if there is anything I should just go ahead and replace since I am in there?

Obviously, I will replace anything that is obviously worn (i.e. belts, hoses, etc...)

Worth it to change water pump, thermostat, xxx? Go ahead and do Vanos check/update as well?
Everything you mentioned if you dont have records of them being done. Flush and replace all fluids. If you are doing belts, might be a good time to do tensioner/idler pulleys.

And congrats!

Old Wed, Jun-20-2018, 05:23:22 PM   #137
S-W0rks

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Everything you mentioned if you dont have records of them being done. Flush and replace all fluids. If you are doing belts, might be a good time to do tensioner/idler pulleys.

And congrats!

Awesome, thanks!
Jump to top S-W0rks is offline   Reply With Quote