BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-27-2010, 03:40:36 AM   #31
IFX

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
It's not a matter of cold or hot - it's consistancy. Check it under the same conditions in the same spot.

If you stop the engine when hot and quickly check the oil - there is some amount of oil still up in the engine that is going to drain down eventually. That's why his hot check was lower then cold. The oil quantity isn't that much that expansion is gonna make a big diffference in level between hot and cold.

I check mine BEFORE starting the engine, car parked in the same spot (so it's just as level as it was last time I checked). If the oil looks OK when it's cold, it will be just fine when the engine is running.

The OP has a bad oil level sensor. All the symptoms are there. He's seeing fluctuations because he wasn't consistant checking the oil.. and then adding some under those conditions can lead to an overfilled condition. If overfilled and driven HARD some of the oil will be consumed by the engine. Doesn't mean there is any problem - it's just how it works.

If your oil check ritual is - stop car, find chicken, kill chicken, walk around the car 3 times counterclockwise waving the chicken, chanting "BP is bad BP is bad" and THEN you check the oil level - that's fine, as long as you ALWAYS perform the same ritual...

Hm, thanks for clearing that up.
So just to make sure, if my yellow light came on, simply just check the oil consistantly? Whether hot or cold. And this will tell me my answer?

05 AW Vert/Imola
Red Roundels
Black Hood Grills
Black Fender Gills
Magnaflow Exhaust
Tinted Tails
6K HID Fogs
C/F Guage Cluster
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 05:47:22 AM   #32
Draddy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
If your oil check ritual is - stop car, find chicken, kill chicken, walk around the car 3 times counterclockwise waving the chicken, chanting "BP is bad BP is bad" and THEN you check the oil level - that's fine, as long as you ALWAYS perform the same ritual...
how'd you know I did that, did Jerry tell you?

My Car (sold) -- Old M3
Jump to top Draddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-24-2012, 05:05:15 PM   #33
JokerElite

United States

Default Re: Yellow Oil level Light comes on but oil level is fine... sensor?

Having a similar issue. After starting, when the car is cold the yellow oil light turns on. It goes off after the car warms up. But while driving the light randomly turns on and off. I just did an oil change 700 miles ago and I've checked the dipstick several times since then. Even checked it today and the oil is at the Max line.

I'm guessing it's the sensor?

1995 BMW M3 | 2004 BMW M3 | 2005 BMW X5 4.4i | 2009 BMW 328xi
Jump to top JokerElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-24-2012, 06:08:42 PM   #34
00e46sedan

In the garage:

El Salvador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerElite View Post
Having a similar issue. After starting, when the car is cold the yellow oil light turns on. It goes off after the car warms up. But while driving the light randomly turns on and off. I just did an oil change 700 miles ago and I've checked the dipstick several times since then. Even checked it today and the oil is at the Max line.

I'm guessing it's the sensor?
What a coincidence,same boat as u,I actually have to be drivin more thn 100 miles and the oil light would come on in yellow,for sure is the sensor as well as yours.
Jump to top 00e46sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-15-2012, 05:03:49 PM   #35
emfollin

I am experiencing this same thing. My yellow oil light comes on for like 15 seconds when I first crank the car and then goes off. My oil temperature gauge has also been intermittently working. Sometimes I look down and it's at 120, other times it's up around half way and this is all after the car is quite warm. Is the oil level sensor also the temperature sending unit?
Old Sat, Dec-15-2012, 05:41:15 PM   #36
Pnick

United States

NOPE!

Oil Level Sensor
For the purpose of monitoring the engine oil level, the engine oil symbol lights red to indicate "oil pressure too low" or yellow to indicate "oil level too low". The "oil pressure too low" warning always has priority. The engine oil symbol lights yellow if the oil level is detected as being too low yet the oil pressure is still maintained. Once recognized, the "oil loss" status is stored and also indicated while driving until the ignition is switched off (ignition lock in position 0). If "oil minimum reached" is recognized, this status is indicated for 30 seconds after turning off the engine. Failure of the oil level sensor is signaled after approx. 25 - 30 seconds when the ignition key is turned to position 2 (terminal 15) and oil pressure is applied (engine running). If the sensor fails while driving, this status is not indicated via the oil level warning. This oil level warning has become necessary due to the extension of the oil change cycle (25 000 km).

B6254 Oil level sensor
B6231 Oil pressure switch

Last edited by Pnick; Mon, Nov-17-2014 at 11:19:14 PM.
Jump to top Pnick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-17-2012, 01:08:06 AM   #37
emfollin

What?
Old Mon, Dec-17-2012, 01:54:18 AM   #38
williemandowa

In the garage:

United States

yeah its your sensor mine did the same thing eventually your oil temp gauge will go out
Jump to top williemandowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-17-2012, 03:17:41 AM   #39
JokerElite

United States

These things are expensive! An OEM one is $150+!

1995 BMW M3 | 2004 BMW M3 | 2005 BMW X5 4.4i | 2009 BMW 328xi
Jump to top JokerElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-17-2012, 11:06:19 PM   #40
emfollin

Thanks Willie. I figured it was based on what was posted above. No idea what Pnick was saying.