BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-20-2010, 01:27:02 PM   #21
WytLytnyn

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post
woah, half capacity of oil burned in 1 week? You have bigger problems.
No joke. This is something serious. Don't drive the car until you ascertain what this issue is.
Look Ma! No sunroof! "Wood" trim! Unpowered Cloth Seats! NAV!
Michelin Pilot Super Sports on OEM 19's

"If everything is under control, you are just not driving fast enough!" - Sir Stirling Moss
Jump to top WytLytnyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 03:06:00 PM   #22
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

Check the oil level with your dipstick every morning BEFORE starting the engine. Only takes a few seconds to do that way. Let us know if it still fluctuates.

Doing it in a consistent manner is more important then following some magic formula people tell you about (like run engine 3 minutes, stop for 1 minute, measure oil.. - baloney.. do it with the engine cold and level.)
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 08:43:46 PM   #23
ECSTuning
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

For anyone who is still in need of the sensor we have them available below...

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Feel free to shoot us a PM if you have any questions!

Cheers,
James

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M- F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Facebook | YouTube|OEM BMW Part Number Search

Last edited by ECSTuning; Mon, Dec-17-2012 at 03:31:14 PM.
Jump to top ECSTuning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-20-2010, 10:13:22 PM   #24
Crayola

Taiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post
woah, half capacity of oil burned in 1 week? You have bigger problems.
No no, after a week or so the light comes up but the level on the dipstick is normal. It's probably the sensor. But the real issue that concerns me is the fluctuating, which probably causes the sensor to go on and off. The light comes on only after I shut off the engine btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
Check the oil level with your dipstick every morning BEFORE starting the engine. Only takes a few seconds to do that way. Let us know if it still fluctuates.

Doing it in a consistent manner is more important then following some magic formula people tell you about (like run engine 3 minutes, stop for 1 minute, measure oil.. - baloney.. do it with the engine cold and level.)
Alright, I'll start doing that and report back whenever I notice something wrong. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Crayola; Thu, May-20-2010 at 10:24:45 PM.
Jump to top Crayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-26-2010, 11:41:01 PM   #25
Crayola

Taiwan

Update: So last night when I got home the light came on again. Checked the dipstick and the level was low. This morning I got up, checked it again and the oil level is back to normal. This keeps happening every now and then. Any ideas?
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 02:32:37 AM   #26
jram

Difference could be explained by checking oil hot vs cold. Magic oil fairies?
Jump to top jram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 02:35:56 AM   #27
roobe16
Certified Naysayer

Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram View Post
Difference could be explained by checking oil hot vs cold. Magic oil fairies?
Except his oil levels are backwards - lower when hot and higher when cold. Should be the the other way around, and usually it's not a major difference anyway. Like Don said, check your oil levels consistently (always cold is easiest and most consistent) and then see if there is a significant change.
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 03:06:13 AM   #28
IFX

United States

I never knew you should check oil when engine is cold? Lol interesting.

Why do they tell you to check it when warm?

05 AW Vert/Imola
Red Roundels
Black Hood Grills
Black Fender Gills
Magnaflow Exhaust
Tinted Tails
6K HID Fogs
C/F Guage Cluster
Jump to top IFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 03:16:29 AM   #29
deilenberger

Reputation: 578 deilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond reputedeilenberger has a reputation beyond repute

United States

It's not a matter of cold or hot - it's consistancy. Check it under the same conditions in the same spot.

If you stop the engine when hot and quickly check the oil - there is some amount of oil still up in the engine that is going to drain down eventually. That's why his hot check was lower then cold. The oil quantity isn't that much that expansion is gonna make a big diffference in level between hot and cold.

I check mine BEFORE starting the engine, car parked in the same spot (so it's just as level as it was last time I checked). If the oil looks OK when it's cold, it will be just fine when the engine is running.

The OP has a bad oil level sensor. All the symptoms are there. He's seeing fluctuations because he wasn't consistant checking the oil.. and then adding some under those conditions can lead to an overfilled condition. If overfilled and driven HARD some of the oil will be consumed by the engine. Doesn't mean there is any problem - it's just how it works.

If your oil check ritual is - stop car, find chicken, kill chicken, walk around the car 3 times counterclockwise waving the chicken, chanting "BP is bad BP is bad" and THEN you check the oil level - that's fine, as long as you ALWAYS perform the same ritual...
  • 2002 M3C/6 - Imola Red/Black - SOLD
  • 2003 525iT - Green/Tan - SOLD - replaced with Lexus
  • 2006 Cayenne/S - Iceland Silver Metallic/Stone-steel Gray - Truckster. - SOLD
  • 2007 R1200R - Roadster, black mit/white pinstripes - SOLD and not forgotten..
  • 2012 R1200R - Roadster, Ruby Red - the new REAL BMW..
  • 2011 Lexus RX-350. SWMBO's new toy.
  • 2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo, white/black. My new toy..
Jump to top deilenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-27-2010, 03:32:01 AM   #30
Crayola

Taiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
It's not a matter of cold or hot - it's consistancy. Check it under the same conditions in the same spot.

If you stop the engine when hot and quickly check the oil - there is some amount of oil still up in the engine that is going to drain down eventually. That's why his hot check was lower then cold. The oil quantity isn't that much that expansion is gonna make a big diffference in level between hot and cold.

I check mine BEFORE starting the engine, car parked in the same spot (so it's just as level as it was last time I checked). If the oil looks OK when it's cold, it will be just fine when the engine is running.

The OP has a bad oil level sensor. All the symptoms are there. He's seeing fluctuations because he wasn't consistant checking the oil.. and then adding some under those conditions can lead to an overfilled condition. If overfilled and driven HARD some of the oil will be consumed by the engine. Doesn't mean there is any problem - it's just how it works.

If your oil check ritual is - stop car, find chicken, kill chicken, walk around the car 3 times counterclockwise waving the chicken, chanting "BP is bad BP is bad" and THEN you check the oil level - that's fine, as long as you ALWAYS perform the same ritual...
okay this makes sense to me now. I've been checking oil level after I finish driving, that's why the levels are low. Then the next morning when I check it at cold, the level is higher. So far, every time I do check at cold, the level has been normal and consistent. I guess I just have a faulty sensor.