BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Jul-27-2010, 10:36:04 PM   #41
jph28
Back in 'Merica

In the garage:

United States

Excellent thread! Anyone know approximately how much PS fluid it takes to get into the "normal" range if the little dipstick on the cap is just barely getting fluid on it (like, 1 or 2mm)?

Current - 2002 M5, awaiting re-fresh...
2004 SilverGrey 6MT Sold

Past - '12 VW JSW TDI / '91 Saab 900TC / '98 M3 / '06 WRX / '98 ITR / '88 Saab 9000T
Jump to top jph28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jul-28-2010, 05:22:34 AM   #42
OahuMPower
:FACEPALM:

United States

Very little....
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 10:22:32 PM   #43
eatsleeplax
Car Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Informational thread: FLUID FAQ (Oil, Diff, Tranny, Coolant, Brake, Steering)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
How much do you need and how hard is it to change:

The US 3.0L ("S50") motor in the 1995 E36 M3 takes 6.9 quarts
The US 3.2L ("S52") motor in the 1996-1999 E36 M3 takes 6.3 quarts

These capacities are guidelines, and you should be paying attention to your engine oil dipstick.

Due to the fact that the footprint of the oil pan is so large, the car is subject to oil starvation in high-g cornering and heavy braking. For this reason people who track or autoX their cars often overfill the motor slightly (by 1/2 quart, but no more than 1 quart over full).
My car is a 97MY with a 10/96 build date and 3.2L S52 motor. Yet my manual states the capacity is 6.9 quarts?
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 10:29:04 PM   #44
Roland H
LOLiticks troll

United States

Default Re: Informational thread: FLUID FAQ (Oil, Diff, Tranny, Coolant, Brake, Steering)

Can't go wrong with 6.9. I usually run 7 or more.
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 10:32:30 PM   #45
OahuMPower
:FACEPALM:

United States

"most" guys who do any auto-x/track usually run around 7.3-7.5qts
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 11:23:31 PM   #46
eatsleeplax
Car Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OahuMPower View Post
"most" guys who do any auto-x/track usually run around 7.3-7.5qts
So no one has anything to say about why my manual says different info than this thread? Could it be the manual says capacity with filter change? I mean i have the 3.2L yet the manual says 6.9 quarts?
And a side note, i was doing a canyon run and i actually experienced the oil starvation tick of the hydraulic lifters, so I'm going to overfill it. So on a 3.2L about 7.3-7.5 quarts is sufficient? I want to do autocross this summer and don't want to starve it. Mobile 1 is on sale for 5 bux a quart right now, so i'll just pick up 5 and do a change this weekend, because i have to replace the oil feed line for vanos anyways (it is leaking).
Old Thu, Apr-07-2011, 11:41:33 PM   #47
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleeplax View Post
So no one has anything to say about why my manual says different info than this thread? Could it be the manual says capacity with filter change? I mean i have the 3.2L yet the manual says 6.9 quarts?
And a side note, i was doing a canyon run and i actually experienced the oil starvation tick of the hydraulic lifters, so I'm going to overfill it. So on a 3.2L about 7.3-7.5 quarts is sufficient? I want to do autocross this summer and don't want to starve it. Mobile 1 is on sale for 5 bux a quart right now, so i'll just pick up 5 and do a change this weekend, because i have to replace the oil feed line for vanos anyways (it is leaking).
Not sure what to tell you. My 3.2L manual says 6.3 and the Bentley says 6.3. That being said, who cares? Go by the dipstick. Capacities are only a guideline so you know how much to dump in before you check the dipstick. Always go by what the dipstick says.

Overfill a little if you'd like. But at autoX, the biggest thing you can do to protect your motor is let the car warm up sufficiently before you do a run. I did a lot of experimenting last season with my car and 2 other local members' E36 M3's. The simple conclusion we came to is this:

-Don't let the oil warm up sufficiently before a run...get lifter tick.
-Let the oil warm up sufficiently before a run...don't get lifter tick.

Also, after you do a run, let the car idle for a minute or 2 before you turn it off. If you did partially starve and introduce air into the lifters it will evacuate it. I've noticed if I turn my car off right after a run, it will sometimes tick when I start it back up again (even if it wasn't making any noise before I turned it off).

I've been through a good number of autoX events following those rules, and my car hasn't made any lifter noise since I started abiding by them. I got lifter tick in the past from not paying attention to those things.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-08-2011, 12:35:27 AM   #48
eatsleeplax
Car Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Not sure what to tell you. My 3.2L manual says 6.3 and the Bentley says 6.3. That being said, who cares? Go by the dipstick. Capacities are only a guideline so you know how much to dump in before you check the dipstick. Always go by what the dipstick says.

Overfill a little if you'd like. But at autoX, the biggest thing you can do to protect your motor is let the car warm up sufficiently before you do a run. I did a lot of experimenting last season with my car and 2 other local members' E36 M3's. The simple conclusion we came to is this:

-Don't let the oil warm up sufficiently before a run...get lifter tick.
-Let the oil warm up sufficiently before a run...don't get lifter tick.

Also, after you do a run, let the car idle for a minute or 2 before you turn it off. If you did partially starve and introduce air into the lifters it will evacuate it. I've noticed if I turn my car off right after a run, it will sometimes tick when I start it back up again (even if it wasn't making any noise before I turned it off).

I've been through a good number of autoX events following those rules, and my car hasn't made any lifter noise since I started abiding by them. I got lifter tick in the past from not paying attention to those things.
I read mine from the back of the manual, in technical data under capacities. I'll just fill it up and keep checking the dipstick.

So, on the dipstick, i know you are supposed to be between the 2 notches. Where exactly do you guys fill it up to when not overfilling? And when you overfill than you go above the 2nd notch?
Old Fri, Apr-08-2011, 02:13:10 AM   #49
fiveightandten
He'll save children, but not the British children...

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleeplax View Post
I read mine from the back of the manual, in technical data under capacities. I'll just fill it up and keep checking the dipstick.

So, on the dipstick, i know you are supposed to be between the 2 notches. Where exactly do you guys fill it up to when not overfilling? And when you overfill than you go above the 2nd notch?
It's been a while since i've overfilled, but I believe I used to go right below the 1st number in the part number. I think it's about half a quart. Let some other guys confirm that, as it's been a while. I did it more by just overfilling by about 1/2q, as opposed to trusting the dipstick.

FWIW, whatever difference you see on the dipstick is the amount that the oil level is being raised by in the sump.

To put some quick and dirty numbers to it, figure the sump is roughly 12"x18" (i'm just taking a wild guess). A quick look at an online volume calculator using those rough dimensions tells me this.

6.9q (normal fill) = ~47 mm oil depth
7.6q (1/2 Q over) = ~52 mm oil depth

You're raising the oil depth around the pickup tube by about 5mm by overfilling 1/2q (you can confirm this by dumping an extra 1/2 q in and measuring the difference you see on the dipstick).

If you're concerned with oil starvation, I think an oil pan baffle kit will do a lot more to keep oil around the pickup tube.

Hope that helps.

1986 325es || 2003 330ci || 1998 M3/4/5
Jump to top fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-08-2011, 02:24:09 AM   #50
eatsleeplax
Car Enthusiast

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
It's been a while since i've overfilled, but I believe I used to go right below the 1st number in the part number. I think it's about half a quart. Let some other guys confirm that, as it's been a while. I did it more by just overfilling by about 1/2q, as opposed to trusting the dipstick.

FWIW, whatever difference you see on the dipstick is the amount that the oil level is being raised by in the sump.

To put some quick and dirty numbers to it, figure the sump is roughly 12"x18" (i'm just taking a wild guess). A quick look at an online volume calculator using those rough dimensions tells me this.

6.9q (normal fill) = ~47 mm oil depth
7.6q (1/2 Q over) = ~52 mm oil depth

You're raising the oil depth around the pickup tube by about 5mm by overfilling 1/2q (you can confirm this by dumping an extra 1/2 q in and measuring the difference you see on the dipstick).

If you're concerned with oil starvation, I think an oil pan baffle kit will do a lot more to keep oil around the pickup tube.

Hope that helps.
I get what your saying. But isn't 6.9 + .5 quart 7.4, not 7.6... and I wonder why my 3.2L manual is different from yours.. anyone else want to comment what theirs says?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk