BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 05:27:15 PM   #11
elbert
Sikkens Autocryl MM

Wales

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Interior Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimma360 View Post
Here is a piece I made for a member's Gallardo. This was done using the first method I mentioned. Again, nothing wrong with going the overlay way, it just all depends on the finishing work after the fact, and the adhesive used. If they are covered in real carbon, they look good, and they last, you are good to go.
Looks great! Do you use a vacuum bag for something like this?
Jump to top elbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 08:24:04 PM   #12
Bimma360

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFocus View Post
You're right, when NVD emailed me back a quote i laughed, literally out loud. It was much more than $800 for an 8 piece set (including front and rear arm rests). But they are definitely carbon skinned oem pieces.

I'm almost positive that's what Karbonius does also, but since they're more well known regarding quality and their pricing isn't that bad considering what you're getting. I think they'll be the perfect fit for what i'm looking for.
Sweet! Yeah I have heard nothing but good things about their airboxes, and if they can do that well, trim pieces should be a walk in the park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbert View Post
Looks great! Do you use a vacuum bag for something like this?
Thanks. I don't vacuum bag for skinning parts in carbon. Since you are not using a mold when skinning (unless you are making overlays to glue on top), vacuum bagging really doesn't add anything of value to the process. I use vacuum bagging, when making full parts out of carbon though.

Jump to top Bimma360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-09-2016, 10:58:07 PM   #13
KoukiMonster

Pakistan

Interested in your review if you end up going the karbonius route

Jump to top KoukiMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-10-2016, 08:52:21 AM   #14
s54cabrio

United States

Mine...

Jump to top s54cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-10-2016, 06:40:55 PM   #15
WOLFN8TR
/// MONEY \\\

In the garage:

United States

Wow that really looks nice! There was a CF coupe set for sale on another BMW forum for $450 shipped a few months ago. It sold within minutes of posting it. I missed out.

BAVSOUND Stage 1 - UltraGauge - Valentine One - Orion V4's - ARC-8's
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-10-2016, 11:29:32 PM   #16
11b4

United States

Not to thread jack or anything but..
I wonder if I put a coat of gloss over my wrap if it would look similar to the previous pictures

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Jump to top 11b4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-11-2016, 05:19:45 AM   #17
British-mark

In the garage:

United States

ok chaps I can add some insight into this.
I have a company that supplies CF laminated parts, moulded and worked over the OEM part.
This guarantees fitment and saves working with expensive moulds.
The gauge of CF is thin and even with the resins and varnish it still doesnt add much noticeable weight to the OEM part.
Done correctly, these parts can be fantastic and customers wouldn't be able to comprehend its laminated over the OEM part.
My customers have been BMW enthusiasts and Aston Martin dealerships (our parts are exactly the same as the AM parts from factory which are the same process.
I have used NVD in the past, and although quite good, they are a Thailand factory with debatable results - even with continued use the quality would be hit and miss. And they got too expensive which is why i dropped using those guys. 'Prapan' is the contact there if you need to work with them.
Since being in the US and having a baby I havent been doing much of the work, But I do have an amazing chap who just finished covering a ceramic Aston Martin engine cover. Company is called 'O-Carbon' and you need to talk to Matt. tell them Mark sent you and he will be mucho pleased the word is getting about!
He does loads of internal CF laminated parts for Audis, Porshce, BMWs, etc etc. fantastic work and I have never had or seen negative reviews.
Look Matt up, thats your best bet. AND the price? well expect to pay $$$ for this stuff, its not vinyl, its not done in a sweat shop by children - its a labor intensive, time consuming process - uses a lot of consumables + is hand finished at different stages + has a lovely UV protectant gloss / mat varnish at the end of the process.... so expect to pay for that!
Karbonius i know nothing about, but by looking at it I would say that work is also from the Thailand factories.
Hope that helps.
Mint! 37k Miles / TPI lug nuts / Macht Schnell studs / Tein Springs / Koni Shocks / ECS CSL brake upgrade / RE El Diablo / CSL Diffuser / Storm Gear surround / AFE charge pipe / AFE air scoops / Macht Schnell spacers / Extended paddle shifters / Depo tinted sides / Black out grills
Jump to top British-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-11-2016, 08:51:59 AM   #18
s54cabrio

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11b4 View Post

Not to thread jack or anything but..
I wonder if I put a coat of gloss over my wrap if it would look similar to the previous pictures

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We are talking REAL CF here and not the gaystickonwrapshitcrap with al do respect
Jump to top s54cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-11-2016, 09:12:16 AM   #19
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by British-mark View Post
Company is called 'O-Carbon' and you need to talk to Matt. tell them Mark sent you and he will be mucho pleased the word is getting about!
He does loads of internal CF laminated parts for Audis, Porshce, BMWs, etc etc. fantastic work and I have never had or seen negative reviews.
Look Matt up, thats your best bet. AND the price? well expect to pay $$$ for this stuff, its not vinyl, its not done in a sweat shop by children - its a labor intensive, time consuming process - uses a lot of consumables + is hand finished at different stages + has a lovely UV protectant gloss / mat varnish at the end of the process.... so expect to pay for that!
Karbonius i know nothing about, but by looking at it I would say that work is also from the Thailand factories.
Hope that helps.
I have been wanting to get parts from O-carbon for years. He seems to do great work. I just haven't thought up of any parts I wanted done up.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-11-2016, 03:49:45 PM   #20
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

I'd like to find the main dash trim in CF 2x2, but nobody will sell just that piece.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote